TD22057

V1 Ultra in a P180?

Post by TD22057 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm putting a new gaming system together with the following items:

Case: P180
CPU: AMD 64 3500+ w/ a Ninja cooler
VGA: 7800GT
All fans: Nexus quiet 120mm

I'm thinking about using the Thermalright V1 Ultra VGA cooler since I believe it will easy to make it quieter than the NV silencer. If I use the Abit KN8 SLI motherboard, I believe there's plenty of room for the Ninja and the V1 and it has a passive NB cooler.

Here's a shot of the V1 installed:

I'm thinking that this could be a great quiet arrangement since the V1 ultra fan will blow across the ninja and then the air will be exhaused out the back of the case by the top and/or rear fan in the P180.

I don't think there's room, but I'm also considering removing the fan on the V1 and building a duct from the V1 heatsink to the rear case fan in the P180 and then ducting the Ninja to the top case fan. I think this would allow me to run two Nexus 120mm fans at 5-7 V and cool the GPU and CPU an exhaust the hot air at the same time.

Has anyone tried something like this?

Howard

Post by Howard » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:53 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that fan will blow air onto the back of the card, not through the Ninja.

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:36 pm

454Casull wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but that fan will blow air onto the back of the card, not through the Ninja.
I was planning on reversing the fan to pull air through the heat sink.

Writer

Post by Writer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:39 pm

I've been toying with the idea of getting a V1 Ultra for my 7800 GT CO.

One thing I've thought of trying is to put a 120mm fan in front of the card -- towards the front of the case, in other words.

My thinking is that it would direct air at both heat sinks and towards the rear 120mm fan, and take some weight off the video card at the same time.

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:25 am

Writer wrote:I've been toying with the idea of getting a V1 Ultra for my 7800 GT CO.

One thing I've thought of trying is to put a 120mm fan in front of the card -- towards the front of the case, in other words.

My thinking is that it would direct air at both heat sinks and towards the rear 120mm fan, and take some weight off the video card at the same time.
I don't think that's a bad idea. I was planning on using the front 120mm in the P180 for that. For most MB's, the graphics card basically splits the front fan in half. I'd leave it off until gaming but with it on it should hit both sides of the card pretty evenly. Maybe even a little ducting to help?

My system keeps getting pushed farther and farther out. First it was Oblivion getting delayed from last Nov and now they just announced the 7900GT for the end of the March which sounds like the way to go for me (since Oblivion isn't getting released until then anyway).

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:27 pm

TD22057 wrote:
Writer wrote:I've been toying with the idea of getting a V1 Ultra for my 7800 GT CO.

I don't think that's a bad idea. I was planning on using the front 120mm in the P180 for that. For most MB's, the graphics card basically splits the front fan in half. I'd leave it off until gaming but with it on it should hit both sides of the card pretty evenly. Maybe even a little ducting to help?

My system keeps getting pushed farther and farther out. First it was Oblivion getting delayed from last Nov and now they just announced the 7900GT for the end of the March which sounds like the way to go for me (since Oblivion isn't getting released until then anyway).
Wow, I wonder how many of us are upgrading for Oblivion :)

Writer

Post by Writer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:47 pm

After staring at my case for a while, I'm not sure how well my idea would work, actually; there isn't much room in front of the card, and the power cord makes positioning the fan a bit of a problem.

One thought leads to another, though, and I have to wonder how hard it would be to duct the two heatsinks to the back of the case - sort of like a homemade silencer times two?

You could pretty much just get two pieces of something stiff (aluminium, or maybe acrylic?) and suspend them above/below the card, with a third piece alongside...mount it all right to the rear using the PCI slots above and below the card.

Essentially building a duct around the card, open at the front, and mounting a fan in the rear, outside the case.

Hmmm.

Writer

Post by Writer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:00 pm

A bit more snooping and I spotted this:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 851#244851

Very much what I was thinking of, although I would make it shorter (vertically) to keep the lower PCI slots usable.

I wonder if a VF700 would work better than the V1 Ultra for this type of mod?