Replacing AC nvSilencer5 rev3

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dCrypt

Replacing AC nvSilencer5 rev3

Post by dCrypt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:03 am

Hi all.

I own a nvSilencer5 rev3 since 2-3 months ago, and I am very dissapointed with it. My dissapointment is not related to noise, nor performance, but for design.

My VGA is a PCI-E XFX 6800 256mb. This card seems to have the core a bit shifted to the left (towards the metal plate). So, the installation of the nvSilencer was a pain: first, I had to cut the plastic enclosure because it didn't fit the rear case opening, then the fan touched the 2nd PCI card so I had to swap a Ultra320 SCSI card with a UltraSCSI one (a shorter PCI card, so it doesn't touch the nvSilencer fan).

My main concern when I was replacing the original VGA heatsink was exhausting the heat, so I preferred the nvSilencer over the VF700 or the V1 Ultra.

My main concern now is to replace the nvSilencer with the thinnest VGA heatsink I can find, so I can use it in a SLI configuration (in the future) and I can still use two PCI cards (my motherboard has up to 3 PCI slots, the first one can be occupied by the VGA heatsink.

Any suggestions?

dCrypt

Post by dCrypt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:11 am

Ok, after digging in the forums and reading some reviews, I couldn't find an answer to my question. I have this options to replace my nvSilencer5:

Passively cooled 6800 (preferred):
- Schooner
- Polar Freezer
- V1 Ultra (without any fan)

Low noise cooled 6800:
- V1 Ultra (with low noise fan)
- VF700

Questions:

- Which option allow SLI (future upgrade)?
- Which option eats up to 1 extra slot? (my nvSilencer5 eats 1.5/2 extra slots due to the protruding fan shaft)

Thanks.

diver

Post by diver » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:21 am

Because the Passive units are hung on both sides of the VGA card, most of them will not work in SLI. Probably a couple of Zalman 700's or 900's will be the best bet.

dCrypt

Re: Replacing AC nvSilencer5 rev3

Post by dCrypt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 am

dCrypt wrote:[...] I had to swap a Ultra320 SCSI card [...]
Actually, the replaced SCSI card is an Ultra160.

walla walla

Post by walla walla » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:18 pm

You could use an Arctic Cooling Accelero X1. It works with SLI. I have one running on onmy eVGA 7800gt. It's .4 sone and the silencer is .9 sone so it should be quieter. My only concern is that it blows the hot air onto the motherboard.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=91
The Accelero X1 is SLI compatible with all mainboards and offers in such a configuration exactly the same performance. In contrast to our NV Silencers
EDIT: It might not fit with that other card you have in there.

dCrypt

Post by dCrypt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:02 pm

Thank you for your information, walla walla.
walla walla wrote:EDIT: It might not fit with that other card you have in there.
Do you mean that the Accelero eats more than 1 slot? My system, in the actual configuration, is built on an Asus P4GD1 motherboard like this, and has the following cards installed (upper first):
  • - VGA (PCI Express x16)
    - nvSilencer (PCI)
    - Short SCSI card (PCI)
    - SB Audigy (PCI)
    - Free (PCI Express x1)
    - Free (PCI Express x1)
The nvSilencer eats completely the PCI slot below the PCI Express, and the fan prevents the use of a card wider than 120mm in the second PCI slot (SCSI card).

Just if the Accelero was only 1 PCI thick, it would be perfect. The exhaust is not a concern for me (), since I should finally replace the nvSilencer. My main concerns are:
  • 1. I had to cut the original nvSilencer because my VGA card seems to have the core nearer the metal bracket than it should be. Perhaps the Accelero won't fit, either.
    2. The fan in the Accelero seems to be thermally controlled. It's rated 0.4 sone@500-2000rpm, while the nvSilencer is rated 0.9 sone@2000rpm
Thanks a lot for your information.

dCrypt

Post by dCrypt » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:04 pm

Has anyone tried the Accelero X1 in passive mode? I mean, removing the plastic shroud.

And what about the nvSilencer5?

walla walla

Post by walla walla » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:49 pm

I haven't tried it without the shroud, but it looks lke you should be fit the card in the slot, although i'm not 100% sure. I don't have a card to test it out with.

EDIT: Here is a picture, but it the angle might be a little misleading, but maybe not.

dCrypt

Post by dCrypt » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks, walla walla, for your picture. It has proven very useful for me. At least, now I know with the Accelero I won't have the same problems as with the nvSilencer.

I have a parallel post about my findings during the past days, and my future planning about modifying my system. In case you would like to check it, http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=30836

In summary, I will put some bigger fans and cpu hs, and will try removing the nvSilencer plastic shroud & fan (passive nvSilencer).