Thermalright's new VGA cooler, the HR-03

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Butters2006

Post by Butters2006 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 am

Mr. Tinker wrote:If anyone mounts this on a 7800gtx or card with similar dimensions, please post pics. I'm interested in clearance issues, particularly in a NSK2400.

OR - Can anyone with the cooler answer whether the position of the heatpipes through the block is adjustable (can it slide in and out)?

AND - how does it manage to mount both ways? Is the block double sided, or does it need to be flipped on the pipes?
This heatsink will not fit in the NSK2400. It sits about two inches above the top edge of the card. The NSK2400 has about 1/2 inch of clearance between the top edge of the graphics card and the case lid.

I have a NSK2400 and a Lian-Li 880b, this heat sink will not fit either (the Lian-Li has about 1 1/4 inches of clearance between the top of the card and the lid.

I wouldn't recommend this card for mAtx boards. The width of it would occupy two adjoining PCI slots.

Butters2006

Post by Butters2006 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:18 am

Just a note :

I could not get this card to fit properly on a saphire radeon x1900xtx card with the supplied RAM heat sinks in non-wrap over mode (pointing down in most cases).

The heat pipes touched the small heat sink on the memory directly underneath the pipes. This prevented the heat sink from fully seating and allows heat to transfer to the memory itself.

Using the ATI overdrive I was able to hit a 789 clock rate at 64 degrees max temp without the memory heat sink. With the memory heat sink I only hit around 745 with 70+ degrees.

Mr. Tinker

Post by Mr. Tinker » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:35 am

Thanks, I've surmised that. If it had slightly shorter pipes at the block area, and the ability to slide them through the block (unsoldered), it might work.

Damn shame. vf900 for now.

Butters2006

Post by Butters2006 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Mr. Tinker wrote:Thanks, I've surmised that. If it had slightly shorter pipes at the block area, and the ability to slide them through the block (unsoldered), it might work.

Damn shame. vf900 for now.
Yea, if they developed a non wrap around version with shorter pipes it may fit. It still takes quite a bit of room, so fitting in the NSK2400 with the mAtx board would be a squeeze even if board height was not an issue.

I've used the vf-900 on a nVidia 7800gt and 7950gt. It barely cooled the 7800gt but works well with the 7950gt. However I wouldn't recommend the vf-900 until Zalman either supplies a back plate for it or fixes the riser heights. It currently bends the circuit board of the card if you tighten it as the instructions tell you to.

Eddie Spaghetti

Post by Eddie Spaghetti » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Butters2006 wrote:Just a note :

I could not get this card to fit properly on a saphire radeon x1900xtx card with the supplied RAM heat sinks in non-wrap over mode (pointing down in most cases).

The heat pipes touched the small heat sink on the memory directly underneath the pipes. This prevented the heat sink from fully seating and allows heat to transfer to the memory itself.

Using the ATI overdrive I was able to hit a 789 clock rate at 64 degrees max temp without the memory heat sink. With the memory heat sink I only hit around 745 with 70+ degrees.
Does the x1900xtx have DDR3 memory? I read DDR3 doesn't get hot and therefore has no need for heat sinks.

Butters2006

Post by Butters2006 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:15 pm

Eddie Spaghetti wrote:
Butters2006 wrote:Just a note :

Does the x1900xtx have DDR3 memory? I read DDR3 doesn't get hot and therefore has no need for heat sinks.
Yes it does have DDR3. I don't know anything about the thermal properties of it though.

The ram mini-sinks (as I'll call those heat sinks with no fins) may fit under the heat pipes without touching if the sticky pad was removed and glue was used to bind the sink to the memory. I may look into doing that when I become unlazy again.