ASUS EN7600GS in Small Case?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hozer2k

ASUS EN7600GS in Small Case?

Post by hozer2k » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:59 pm

I just ordered this, but after reading anandtechs review, it seems fairly hot. Since I am using a small form factor (SG01) case, should I get something that runs cooler? I dont need that great of performance really...just something better than the onboard graphics really.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121008

Thing I dont get about that review is the idle power and peak power is about the same and so is the chipset. The heatsinks may be more or less efficient, but the total heat should be the same...so I would think any 7600GS would put our the same heat regardless of the card. Maybe I need something a little less powerful? Ideas?

Le_Gritche

Re: ASUS EN7600GS in Small Case?

Post by Le_Gritche » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:31 am

hozer2k wrote:I just ordered this, but after reading anandtechs review, it seems fairly hot. Since I am using a small form factor (SG01) case, should I get something that runs cooler? I dont need that great of performance really...just something better than the onboard graphics really.
What is your onboard graphic card ? Because you could get a 7300GT or something but depending on your IGP that migh tbe of little added performance.
Thing I dont get about that review is the idle power and peak power is about the same and so is the chipset. The heatsinks may be more or less efficient, but the total heat should be the same...so I would think any 7600GS would put our the same heat regardless of the card. Maybe I need something a little less powerful? Ideas?
The fanless 7600GSs similar to the reference board consume he same power, I don't know about the fan-cooled 7600GSs, maybe they are not undervolted as their fanless counterparts.
Performance/power wise the 7600GS is a very good card, but if you don't need the performance...

You should start by explaining what you want to do with your comp (video playback, gaiming - then what game- and so forth) and what is you integrated graphic card, then it would be possible to help you really.

alext

Post by alext » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:07 pm

I don't know about the 9800 since I've never owned one but I have an ASUS 7600GS and it gets pretty hot if there is no airflow around it (hot in my mind is not being able to touch the heatsink - finger burning hot!). Mine is in a Zalman HT160 case with a full size ATX case - I removed the PCI blanking plate next to the card so that air gets drawn in around the card - this helped quite a bit. According to the onboard temperature sensor, during games it got to around 70-something deg. C and idles at around 55C.

The 7600GS is more powerful than I expected (my last card being a GF4200Ti) and is more than adequate for my very infrequent 3D needs - overally a very good card - but yes, the heat could be an issue.