HOLY GRAIL! 0-rpm Fan Controller needed 4 ultimate control.

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnnyWakko

HOLY GRAIL! 0-rpm Fan Controller needed 4 ultimate control.

Post by JohnnyWakko » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:04 am

Its always fun starting to research a new “bitâ€
Last edited by JohnnyWakko on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 am

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but it probably doesn't exist anyway. Various PWM controllers allow the fan to stop, then start up at a certain temperature. But these are software-dependent, and many also induce pwm fan noise. VL-Systems LIS2 is like this. You can go automatic, or manual for the fan speeds. It relies on SpeedFan to detect temperatures, and uses no sensors of it's own.

I have one in use right now.....works fairly well, but is expensive ($100). Looks nice though.

kater

Post by kater » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am

the akasa controller i have (see sig) allows me to switch off my 92mm fans, but not the 120mm scythe fan. i never do that anyway, but i've tried that and know it for a fact. i tried this controller with some other fans (92mm and 120mm) and it seems to me that it's more dependant on the fan that this particular akasa controller - some fans will stop, some won't. i haven't done any measurements (neither rpm nor volt) so i can't say at what voltage and at what rpm the fans start/stop, but it should be sth like 5v as this is what the manual says the controller will handle (5 - 12v). the controller is not pwm (good thing as it won't make your fans whine) and has no display to give you rpm readings. good thing is it's cheap (mine was ca 15 euro) and comes in silver and black, so you can just try and see if it works for you. ah, it fits 3,5" bay and also has 2 usb ports.

sjschwinn

t-bal?

Post by sjschwinn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:32 am

The line of t-Balancers from mCubed are excellent. You might find the T-Balancer miniNG the right fit for your application.

http://www.t-balancer.com/english/produkt_tban_mini.htm

There are a couple reviews on the net of the miniNG - including a pretty good on on madshrimps.

Finding a retailer in the US is tough, but there are a couple. Here is one:

http://www.3dcool.com/advanced_search_r ... rds=mCubed

I bought mine directly from mCubed in Germany.

sjschwinn

Eudemon SST-FP52

Post by sjschwinn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:34 am

On the Eudemon SST-FP52...

I have one, and although it works, it has two major drawbacks:

The temp/voltage curve is not adjustable.
It uses PWM - which some fans freak out with.

There are better options, but you could do worse.

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:11 am

I bought the zalman one 2 weeks ago. I got it mostly because it wasn't pwm and so far I like it. You can only monitor rpm of 2 fans with the cables that come with it though. And the fans you have on the 4 knobs don't go up to full 12v, only about 10.5 but guess that's actually good since the point is to silence the computer.

ooh, the scythe one is cool :D