Riva Tuner or Sunbeam controller to turn down stock fan?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

six4withafro

Riva Tuner or Sunbeam controller to turn down stock fan?

Post by six4withafro » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi, quick question. I have a eVGA 6800 with the stock fan still installed. Can I use the Sunbeam Rheobus to control its speed? I'm currently using RivaTuner to turn the fan down to 50%.

Also, does anyone know what voltage the stock fan runs on? I'm pretty sure the controller is designed for 12-volt-fans only.

Thanks for responding.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:52 am

You might have to fudge connectors / long leads, but why not?

12V is pretty standard; it's what I'd expect.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:29 pm

From my experience, video cards can run very cool (and quiet) when in 2D. RivaTuner duty cycle is at 25% all the time when I'm not playing games (can't go lower).

With RivaTuner, the fan will spin up when it's needed. You can set up the fan control at your personal needs, with up to "endless" speed fan stages depending of the temperature (actually it's limited to the temperature between idle and full load, as RivaTuner uses increments of 1 degree).

When controlling the fan with rheobus, you might run the fan too fast in 2D, and too slow in 3D. Or you have to manually turn it up when playing games.
I like control over case and CPU fans with a fan controller, but personally for a video card, RivaTuner (or programs like it) is the best solution.

six4withafro

Post by six4withafro » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:26 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. Unfortunately, someone pointed me to the general case cooling forum... lol. Now I need to listen to my machine when I'm in the BIOS because my HDD is just too loud, and RivaTuner doesn't kick in until I'm in windows. So I'll go with the Rheobus, whose retail box actually included a decently long 3-pin to 2-pin adapter.