Suggestions for quiet, Vista ready, AGP card, DVI

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

Suggestions for quiet, Vista ready, AGP card, DVI

Post by jerryk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi,

I just ordered a DVI monitor. I want to run it on my ASUS 8AV deluxe MB system which has an AGP interface. There are ton of cards on NewEgg that claim Vista compatability, but most have a fan and I have spent quite a bit of time and effort getting this system nearly silent. I don't do gaming, but do want to get the full Aeroglass effects. The program I run the most often is Photoshop. I would like to able to run dual monitors.

Anyone have suggestions for a video card?

Also, should I plan on just getting one with a fan and replacing the fan with cooler?

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Hey I run Aero fine on my FX5200 - on a not quite so good system with only 512mb of RAM. Can't say for sure, but high end cards aren't needed. You can stay below $100 if you're tight on the wallet.

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jerryk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:41 am

Konnetikut wrote:Hey I run Aero fine on my FX5200 - on a not quite so good system with only 512mb of RAM. Can't say for sure, but high end cards aren't needed. You can stay below $100 if you're tight on the wallet.
OK. That sounds good. I am thinking about going with a cheap card, since I may replace the MB in the system with a Dual Core 2 and suspect that it will not have AGP.

So I will probably just get a card with good specs and not worry too much about the fan. I guess I can always replace the cooling fan.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:44 am

dx 9 compatible and has 128 megs ram on the card is all you need.

the best cards for cheap yet power and longevity are the 7600GT passive cooling types. they make 7300's as well like that for even cheaper and accomplish the same goal. get a 256 meg version though as 128 sux. THey have some in this range that have dual dvi out which can power some really big lcd screen resolutions for future proofing. look at the bit/bus of the ram controllers. they pinch here as well with shaders on some, but thats only a concern for mid level gaming.

I do not know how much this card is, but it looks sick. I hope it isnt crimped in pipelines or in bit bandwidth. single slot passive 7600GT from gigabyte. sounds like the spcr dream card. cost is unknown. Click below for a shot of it...

Sickness in a can