Post by s_xero » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:03 pm

CHECK:

http://www.thermalright.com/

Sorry there's no deeplink possible. On the site index under "VGA Cooler"

Freaking sweet.

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Has been spotted before...
Moving swiftly on- if you right-click on the product page and select properties, you can then copy-paste the actual link instead of going through the frames. i.e. http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... 3_plus.htm

DG

Post by DG » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Sweed indeed. First 3rd party cooler for 8800. One thing bothers me is those "flat memory heatsinks", look kinda small... :?

krille

Post by krille » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:27 am

Anyone got any experiences from this one?

Some questions:

1a) What about mounting a 120mm Nexus (or equivalent), instead of a 92mm. Possible? Better?

1b) Can, say a 120mm Nexus, be attached to the card's fan controller? Or will I have to set the voltages manually (probably using some heat diodes).

2) How much does it own the stock cooler (temps and noise). Worth the ~$60 investment (what I expect the cost will be here). Basically, if it's notably quieter it's worth it.

~ Kris

(Sorry for cross-posting, but since there were two threads... perhaps a merger?)

roadie

Post by roadie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:43 am

See this thread from post 54 onwards. The HR-03 Plus looks to be an awesome cooler.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=134503

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:35 am

Roadie,

Thanks for the link. I've just ordered one for the system I'll start building in 2 weeks: viewtopic.php?t=38393

I'll post results. Would also appreciate any wisdom regarding best approach to mounting this.

SockToy

Post by SockToy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Wonder how well it would work with a 120mm fan cable tied to the PCI backplates and a home made duct. Think the plates would block the airflow too much?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:53 am

SockToy wrote:Wonder how well it would work with a 120mm fan cable tied to the PCI backplates and a home made duct. Think the plates would block the airflow too much?
That is something for empirical test ( meaning trying it out ) to find out ^^

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 pm

IMPORTANT..... the HR-03 only fits on 8800GTX it does not fit in the 8800GTS

mariosimas

Post by mariosimas » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:59 pm

PopCorn wrote:IMPORTANT..... the HR-03 only fits on 8800GTX it does not fit in the 8800GTS
You're right. Quote from thermalright website:

"Compatible with Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX video cards only.
For 8800 GTS card, a seperate HSI heatsink is required (available by mid March, free to existing HR-03 Plus owners.)"

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:41 pm

yup just thought id let people know seeing how alot of people are buying 8800gts ... i almost made the mistake of ordering one for my 8800gts

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:34 pm

That's stupid. But then again, thermalright has always been that way. Order heatsink and then order additional CPU bracket to work with your particular type of CPU. That's just going the next step. And free heatsink for existing HR-03 owners? I'd like to see that. Wonder how that will work...

miahallen

review @ legionhardware

Post by miahallen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:59 am

http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=624

Nice review, excellent cooler!

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:22 am

Thanks for linking the review. However, I think the review is seriously flawed. First, it claims that the 03 plus works with the GTS. Second, while claiming that many users will be interested in its passive cooling abilities, it is not tested in passive mode. It is tested with a nondescript 92mm fan at 1500 and 2500 rpm, with a brief mention that at 2500 rpm the fan is a little noisy. One is left to infer quite a bit about fan mounting and optimal airflow. There is some helpful info. in the review, but I look forward to more careful reviews.

Does SPCR plan to review the HR-03 Plus?

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:29 am

^^^^^^^^^^^Agree with above, would like a more thorough test of the card with some ambient temperatures as well.

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:09 pm

From Thermalright site: " NOTE: In order for HR-03 PLUS to run effectively, it is strongly recommended that a 92mm fan is installed."
Fan is suppose to be set up to blow onto the card.

How challenging will it be to fit this fan on? Seems like it will either block an additional slot or perhaps be very close to HSF. And how do you exhaust the heat from the case with this arrangement?

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:16 pm

christopher3393 wrote:How challenging will it be to fit this fan on? Seems like it will either block an additional slot or perhaps be very close to HSF. And how do you exhaust the heat from the case with this arrangement?
If it were me I'd mount the fan vertically blowing toward the back of the case across the heatsink. Then remove the PCI blanking plates to allow the hot air to exhaust. Maybe a bit of ducting in there too to help the waste heat on its way and stop it from exploring the nooks and crannies of the rest of the case.

rickster

Post by rickster » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:52 am

here's a review of it on the xtreme forums

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=136416

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:51 am

nutball wrote:
christopher3393 wrote:How challenging will it be to fit this fan on? Seems like it will either block an additional slot or perhaps be very close to HSF. And how do you exhaust the heat from the case with this arrangement?
If it were me I'd mount the fan vertically blowing toward the back of the case across the heatsink. Then remove the PCI blanking plates to allow the hot air to exhaust. Maybe a bit of ducting in there too to help the waste heat on its way and stop it from exploring the nooks and crannies of the rest of the case.
Thanks Nutball. A very sane approach. If one consructed an inverted U, side walls and top, with fan at one end and slots at other as well as creating some open air directly above the slots, one should be able to use a 120mm fan at least somewhat effectively.

Rickster, thanks for review link. It confirms my suspicion that with cooler and fan this becomes a 4-5 slot solution! 3 slot with just the cooler. And mounting the HR-03 on the other side with a fan is just not viable with a decent heatsink on the NB. So the recommended approach to mounting the fan is practically unworkable in most applications.

miahallen

SLI problems?

Post by miahallen » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:24 am

Not sure if anybody mentioned this already...but it looks like the HR-03 Plus will block the inside SLI bridge connection, and maybe even the outside one two. Can anybody verify SLI bridge fitment?

shunx

Post by shunx » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:15 am

rickster wrote:here's a review of it on the xtreme forums
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=136416
This heatsink can apparently occupy up to 5 slots with a fan. From the pic it seems you can't install any other card except one PCI card at the edge.

reyn116

Post by reyn116 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:55 am

warning, don't buy the HR-03 plus if you're going SLi with your 8800, it simply WON'T work.

take a look @ this pic:

the heat sinks are in the ways of both SLi bridges

now let's look @ this from another angle:

there is NO ROOM to attach the fans once they are placed in SLi setup, not even for the top card because it will get in the way of the CPU heat sink such as the scythe Ninja.

And quoting the review from Legion Hardware
There are almost no flaws in the HR-03 Plus design
I lol'd
Last edited by reyn116 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:54 am

I was just reading this:
http://www.legionhardware.com/Forums/vi ... php?t=1697

And somebody asked "will the standard 92mm fan fit on the 2nd one when in SLI? Based on the angles of the picture, it was very hard to tell if it had room for 25mm between them" to which the reviewer replied "They do fit with the fans.".

TMM

Post by TMM » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 am

reyn116 wrote:warning, don't buy the HR-03 plus if you're going SLi with your 8800, it simply WON'T work.

take a look @ this pic:

http://www.legionhardware.com/Pics/Ther ... age_27.jpg

the heat sinks are in the ways of both SLi bridges

now let's look @ this from another angle:

http://www.legionhardware.com/Pics/Ther ... age_24.jpg

there is NO ROOM to attach the fans once they are placed in SLi setup, not even for the top card because it will get in the way of the CPU heat sink such as the scythe Ninja.

And quoting the review from Legion Hardware
There are almost no flaws in the HR-03 Plus design
I lol'd
It works fine if you have the fins on the TOP of the first card, and the fins on the BOTTOM of the second card.
like so:
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/therma ... index2.php

Seriously there are almost no flaws in the design. The flaw is in the user if they can't choose an appropriate motherboard/cpu cooler combo that will fit with the HR-03s.

btw, where i am the Plus version is $A75 and the non-Plus is $A39. What a rip for a few extra pieces of metal. I just bought the non-Plus and made my own mounting hardware for my 7600GT :p

reyn116

Post by reyn116 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:38 am

u guys (i assume you don't work for thermalright or legion hardware) are all dodging the fact that the HR-03 is IN THE WAY of the SLi bridges making it impossible to mount them, 8800 series requires TWO SLi bridges and the HR-03 is in the way of both of them. You understand why Legion Hardware didn't put the SLi bridges on their dual HR-03 setup in those pics? because they couldn't do it and there's no way you can.

Look @ this pic and tell me how you planning on mounting the SLi bridges. :roll:

and here's a pic how 8800GTX looks like in SLi mode

Bottom line, HR-03 is NOT SLi compatible as it's advertised.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:56 am

reyn116 wrote:
check the tweaknews review, they mount one card with the HR-03 on Top, and one wrapped around, sli connectors are unhindered.

reyn116

Post by reyn116 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:16 am

ryboto wrote:
reyn116 wrote:
check the tweaknews review, they mount one card with the HR-03 on Top, and one wrapped around, sli connectors are unhindered.
that will work yes, but heat pipe relies on gravity heavily for its oil to flow back to its heat sink base, in this case the bottom card will under perform since its mounted up side down. in other words, for the HR-03 plus to become SLi compatible, it must sacrifice some performance in order to achieve so.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:19 am

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

quoted from thermalrights website, which was quoted from a review done by legion hardware. tell me whats wrong with this:

""The standard Nvidia cooler actually pushes a lot of hot air into the case and the air that does get trapped in the case is extremely hot! However, the air coming off the HR-03 Plus was never that warm, so the case temperature remained much lower. Furthermore the HR-03 Plus does not create the heat spots caused by the standard cooler, as it evenly distributes the warm air throughout the case. This makes the HR-03 Plus far more efficient than the standard Nvidia cooler.â€

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:37 pm

reyn116 wrote: that will work yes, but heat pipe relies on gravity heavily for its oil to flow back to its heat sink base, in this case the bottom card will under perform since its mounted up side down. in other words, for the HR-03 plus to become SLi compatible, it must sacrifice some performance in order to achieve so.
do some research on how heatpipes work. they don't rely on gravity, they use wicks and capillary action draws cool fluid back to the base. Look at my sig, if the HR-03 relied on gravity, my video card would have melted by now.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:40 pm

Aris wrote:ROFLMAO!!!!!!

The same amount of heat is outputed into the case no matter what VGA cooler you put on it. Its still ALOT of heat INSIDE the case that your case ventalation has to take care of. THE SAME amount of heat. As far as keeping your case cooler, it does no better job than anything else that doesnt expell the heat directly out of the case. "more evenly distributed"??? wow.... just wow.... so the heat is still comming from the same region in the case.... and its the same total amount of heat..... WOW...

thermalright just lost points in the credibility department from me for even linking such BS on their site.
that's pretty ridiculous. Considering their supposed to be experts in heat transfer you'd expect them to understand some of the basic principles.