VF900 very disappointed

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

operator

VF900 very disappointed

Post by operator » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:50 pm

Just picked this one up to replace the Artic silencer 4 I had for my x800 pro. There is no way that this fan is "quiet" even in lowest rpm mode, I can still hear this above my harddrive and turning the fan off completely results in a steady rise in temperature to 56 degrees celsius.

The other annoyance is that once the VF900 is installed you cannot use ATiTool anymore, you must use speedfan (worst UI design in the history of software).

So my question now is, are there any coolers at all which will allow me to run 0 rpm fan when i'm doing graphically unintensive things like surfing the net and talking on msn while still maintaining decent temperatures? Or is this just a pipe dream?

Also note I have already underclocked the card as much as I can without it becoming unstable - from default core clock of 474 mhz to 64mhz.

TedMC
Patron of SPCR

Post by TedMC » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:31 pm

Hey! fellow X800pro owner here and FORMER VF900 owner here as well. I got a Thermalright HR-03 and am using it with a Scythe S-Flex "E" 1200 rpm fan. I have my HR-03 underslung under the card and control the fan speed with a Zalman ZM-MF1. You could definately use the HR-03 in fanless mode with your card underclocked that radically. Then when you want to play a game ,set the clocks up and turn on the fan. I use Omega drivers with ATT by Ray Adams and with the sflex at 12V the X800pro is 40C with the rendering window open. And run at about 32C idle with the fan at 5-6V(virtually inaudible),with stock 475/450 clocks.Make sure you get the special ATI adaptor plate along with your HR-03.
Good Luck
PS the fan on the vf900 was never quiet in my system either even at 5V.
PPS there were some other threads here at spcr regarding modding a better fan into the vf900...search around

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: VF900 very disappointed

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:01 am

operator wrote:So my question now is, are there any coolers at all which will allow me to run 0 rpm fan when i'm doing graphically unintensive things like surfing the net and talking on msn while still maintaining decent temperatures? Or is this just a pipe dream?
Aerocase Condor: A Massive, Passive VGA Cooler

vg30et

Post by vg30et » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:47 am

I am using the smaller version of the Condor - the Raven for my X850XT PE and it seems to be working fine. My non gaming temps hover around 45C with the card underclocked and a 5V Nexus (inaudible) blowing towards the Raven. When I'm gaming, the card is set to default clock speeds and the fans turned up to 12V. Temps max out at 75C, a little high for my tastes but if I recall correctly, about the same as the stock hs&f under load.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:04 am

operator wrote:turning the fan off completely results in a steady rise in temperature to 56 degrees celsius.
Where's the problem?

I too was dissapointed with VF900, it's not silent enough even at lowest rpm. If it really starts to bother me after my case upgrade, I will probably try to put a second fanmate on it, or look for something else.

My 7600GT runs at 59celsius in normal usage, when the fan is at 5V, so at least it is a powerful cooler. Slowdown threshold is at 115 celsius, so I have nothing to worry about temps wise.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:36 pm

I am not satisfied with my VF-900 CU either. Because the traditional sin of Zalman: Integrated fan I've started gradually avoid all Zalman with fan.

I have Hr-03 next to me, I will put it to stock X1600 XT when I get my adapter kit for it.