Passive Leadtek 7600GT

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MalcolmC

Passive Leadtek 7600GT

Post by MalcolmC » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:52 am

I've recently put a new machine together with one of these cards, and am now trying to get it all as quiet as possible. Mostly, I'm pretty happy, and when I switch on it's almost silent, but I do have a problem with my Seasonic S12 energy + ramping up as time goes by, but that's another story.

I found that every time I opened a new window, or scrolled up and down a web page, that I would get a noise a bit like a geiger counter - at first I thought it was disk seeks, but when I got my ear close up, discovered that this was not the source. Eventually, I traced it to the graphic card - have changed to another card (an old passive Asus 6600) and the noise is gone.

The question is, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this passive card to make a noise - it's got no moving parts, so it should be silent, I would have thought.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:14 am

To me it sounds like a coil on the VGA, which it makes the noise. I might be wrong, but I think it could be due to the PSU/VGA combo. So if you have a spare PSU laying around, it might be worth a try to switch the PSU.

There's probably other people around here, which are more knowledgeable about this, so please chime in.

MalcolmC

Post by MalcolmC » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:41 am

Thomas, thanks for that thought. I plan to use the graphic card in another machine soon (one where there is sufficient background noise to drown the sound of the clicking card) so I will find out at that time if your theory is correct.

z3r0

Post by z3r0 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:13 am

My old Gigabyte passive 6600 sometimes made a clicking noise under load, so I can confirm you are not completely crazy.