What exactly is the ambient temperature of 8800 GTS???????

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:32 pm

I have recently installed a thermalright HR-03 PLUS and initially was happy with temperatures but i think i must have tested on a cold day or the heating wasnt on in the house!!
The temps are lower but not very much and i have to have the fan running faster than wanted so not really much quieter than the stock cooler. The ambient temp at idle is about 43.C. Some people on other sites are posting idle temps of 20-22 degrees. What is ambient temp exactly?? Core temps are at 48-50.c at idle, maybe down 10 degrees or so.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:44 pm

Some people on other sites are posting idle temps of 20-22 degrees.
This is impossible unless they are using LN2 cooling or live in the Arctic. My ambient air temp is 20-22C, so no way a hot card like the 8800GTS is going to have less than at least a 10-20C delta over ambient.
The ambient temp at idle is about 43.C.
Do you mean the temp of the air in the case or the temp of the card?

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:04 pm

jaganath wrote:
Some people on other sites are posting idle temps of 20-22 degrees.
This is impossible unless they are using LN2 cooling or live in the Arctic. My ambient air temp is 20-22C, so no way a hot card like the 8800GTS is going to have less than at least a 10-20C delta over ambient.
The ambient temp at idle is about 43.C.
Do you mean the temp of the air in the case or the temp of the card?
That is sort of my question. ATI tool is reporting a ambient temp of 42-44 degrees and a core temp of 48-52 degrees (at idle). I know what the core temp is but not actually sure what the ambient temp is. I would say my ambient temp in my room would be around 20-22 degrees and presume the ambient temp reported by ATI tool is the temp around the graphics card?????

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:39 pm

Wow how rude.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:06 pm

:? what is rude?

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:13 pm

jojo4u wrote:What exactly is the ambient temperature of 8800 GTS???????

Wow how rude.
?????????????Sorry, thought it was a simple question???????

If any offence taken then sorry.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:17 pm

Idling after warm up:
- my hard drives (the coolest things in the PC with sensors) run 31-33C with a low rpm front fan on them.
- my 8800GTS 320MB is 58C.

I'm guessing case ambient is 30Cish, so call it 28C over ambient for the vid card @ idle.

J. Sparrow

Re: What exactly is the ambient temperature of 8800 GTS?????

Post by J. Sparrow » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:31 pm

mattyc wrote:Some people on other sites are posting idle temps of 20-22 degrees. What is ambient temp exactly??
I don't know the answer, but please keep in mind that some software will report unadjusted temperatures, which the unaware user may actually take as truthful. SpeedFan is such a software; don't even bother reporting this as a bug, the author despises nVidia.

jb_

Post by jb_ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:56 pm

jaganath wrote::? what is rude?
A long, demanding row of question-marks is....

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:18 pm

wow, if you think that's rude wait til you hear some of the jokes my dad tells... :lol:

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:56 am

jb_ wrote:
jaganath wrote::? what is rude?
A long, demanding row of question-marks is....

Really?

Sorry, in the uk that is not rude, just meant an emphasized question.
Think i will post my questions in another forum as this tends to be quite rude, personal and offensive when i all i ask for is advice and help. :(

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:23 am

Hello Matty,

I think part of the confusion is that the term "ambient" really doesn't apply to a video card. Ambient temperature is the temp of the room, and I think what you are meaning to ask is the idle temp of the 8800GTS?

If the ambient room temp is higher than "normal" it will cause the idle temp of the video card to be higher. If you have an unusually cool room, the idle temp will be lower -- so the typical idle temp is going to vary; which makes your question tough to answer. :wink:

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:42 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello Matty,

I think part of the confusion is that the term "ambient" really doesn't apply to a video card. Ambient temperature is the temp of the room, and I think what you are meaning to ask is the idle temp of the 8800GTS?

If the ambient room temp is higher than "normal" it will cause the idle temp of the video card to be higher. If you have an unusually cool room, the idle temp will be lower -- so the typical idle temp is going to vary; which makes your question tough to answer. :wink:
I know where you are coming from and thankyou for the answer. However, i understand the ambient temp etc (i think!) At The minute the ambient temp of my room is around 20 degrees or so. Riva tuner reports Idle temp of my GTS CORE at 51 degrees and an ambient temp of 44 Degrees. This 44 degrees is a temp specific to the graphics card as it isnt detected by Asus probe, Speedfan or everest. I would just really like to know where this sensor is located on the graphics card and is it a good measurement of the ambient temperature in my case?

Thanks for all your responses people. Am a little dissapointed with this HR-03 PLUS heatsink, i expected it to lower temps more than it has.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:54 am

mattyc wrote:is it a good measurement of the ambient temperature in my case?
No, it represents the temperature of the card, which is hotter than the air inside the case (otherwise you would experience sort of a thermal runaway)

PS: 44 °C for the ambient is not bad at all, especially for passive. My undervolted 6600GT idles at 50 °C with an intake temperature of ~21 °C.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:14 pm

Hello,

44C idle temp on a video card is excellent! My stock passive 7600GS video cards are sitting at 64C, and my room temp is pretty chilly right now -- maybe 60F?

The default setting for throttling on these cards is 125C!

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Although it's quite old, my fx5950u has an ambient of 34 °C and core is 39 °C at idle (fan duty cycle 25% rivatuner).

Case temperature (ambient) is 30.7 °C, air intake is 22.1 °C.

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:43 pm

Thanks for all the info peeps, much appreciated.

pleventi

Post by pleventi » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:18 am

[Sorry, fairly long-winded response :-)]

I've got an eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB in a P180B case with a 120mm Nexus fan blowing over it (and my southbridge HS). My idle temp is 66C (after computer has been on a long time). The "ambient" temperature (which I believe is PCB temperature near the GPU) is 52C according to RivaTuner. For whatever that's worth. My case temp is ~35C.

So your results seem quite good. All that really matters is that under load your GPU (a) functions correctly (no artifacts -- scan with ATITool) and (b) doesn't create excessive noise. My card operates quietly (~65% fan speed) under full load at stock operating speeds. When I OC it to 650/980 GPU/RAM speed, the fan speed increases to ~80% and becomes quite audible, so I only use that setting when I really need the frame rate... which is rare with such a beast of a video card :-)

As for your question about ambient temperature, thermal analysis of chips is fairly basic. The chip manufacturer specs the maximum "junction" temperature (the temperature of the transistors) that the chip will operate correctly at (at a given frequency and with a given voltage). The temperature sensor embedded in GPU is a reasonable approximation of junction temperature.

The cooling solution you install takes heat from the GPU and dissipates it. The more effective the cooling solution (bigger heatsink, more airflow, better thermal compound), the more heat it can pull off the GPU. The ability to dissipate heat is turned into a number known as "thermal resistance", which is measured in Degrees C/Watt. So if you have a thermal solution with 2C/W, then when your chip burns 20W, you expect 2C * 20 = 40C increase between the ambient (case) temperature and the junction temperature of the chip.

So why does any of this matter? Well, it explains some things:

- A 1C increase in the temperature inside your case will result in a 1C increase in the junction temperature of your device (assuming that thermal resistance is insensitive to temperature, which it is roughly). This means that just because your OC'ed GPU/CPU etc works when its 22C in your room, doesn't mean it will work when your room hits 28C on a hot summer day.

- If you decrease the thermal resistance of your solution, you can dissipate more heat or get less of a delta in temperature. How do you decrease thermal resistance? Short of buying a new cooler for your chip, you can (a) increase the fan speed (just like when you blow on hot food to cool it down), or (b) take off the heat sink and reattach with better thermal interface compound.

BTW, this is why auto fan control is such a good thing. You really don't care what your thermal resistance is until it results in temperatures that cause the GPU to fail -- so the fan is kept at a low speed. As junction temperature starts approaching the *functional* failure point, the fan speed increases, which cuts the thermal resistance, which in turn reduces the delta between GPU and ambient temperature. So even as you increase the heat output, the delta temperature stays relatively constant due to the negative feedback system employed. Once the fan hits 100%, no more cooling is possible so your temperatures start increasing again (assuming increasing heat dissipation from the GPU, e.g. increasing GPU frequency).

One more thing: Someone mentioned that the throttling point for the GPU is 125C. That may be the case -- but that doesn't mean that the GPU operates correctly at 120C. Throttling is something designers build into chips in order to prevent the chips from suffering *physical* damage, happens at very high temperatures. While they can tune the throttle point to also prevent *functional* failures, my guess is at 125C that just isn't the case here.

Regards,

Paul