Buying x1650XT/x1950Pro AGP. Help make it SPCR-standard!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zorander

Buying x1650XT/x1950Pro AGP. Help make it SPCR-standard!

Post by Zorander » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:20 am

I'm going to get the Oblivion expansion - Shivering Isles soon. I think a video card upgrade, given the rig in my sig, is the most logical solution (tell me if you think otherwise). I will be playing in resolution 1280x960.

1) I'm torn between the x1650XT and x1950Pro. I'm sure I'll be happy enough with the x1650XT but the question is: will I be missing much without the x1950Pro? Should I fork out the extra cash for the x1950Pro and for what reasons?

2) 256MB or 512MB?

3) How will my current Antec 330W PSU cope with either video chipset? It's comfortably handling my current 9800Pro, for reference sake.

4) What are theSPCR-grade VGA cooler replacements recommended? Is fitting/compatibility a potential issue when buying a new video card?

Cheers!

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:05 am

I would go for the X1950pro 256mb.
Oblivion runs 20-30fps on my X1950pro with a intel c2d eE6600, with a resolution of 1280x1024, high details and HDR, and HDR is nice :)

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:19 am

I would definitely go the X1950 route--when I was poring over benchmarks looking at cards a couple months ago the one thing that stood out was how slow the mid-range cards were--slower than the older high end cards in the X800/X850 series, but with a couple fancy new features...to slow them down even more.

Edit: My Truepower 330 handles an Athlon FX 55 (single-core), X850XT, 2GB PC3200 and a bundle of drives. You will need to get the Molex->PCIe adapter for the graphics card though...I would guess the PSU should be fine though.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:33 am

Usually VGA card ship Molex -> PCIe adapter with them, those models which needs exra power.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:35 am

That's a relief. Looks like I won't have to spend extra on a new fanless PSU (I planned to have a quiet fan blowing over it anyway) and struggle with the associated un-/installation procedures.

Tell me, is the x850XT comparable in power consumption to the x1950Pro?

Also, how quiet are the HIS IceQ cards? They already come with decent-looking coolers so if they are good enough, I don't mind spending the extra on what will be a convenient one-in-all quiet solution.

Cheers!
psiu wrote: Edit: My Truepower 330 handles an Athlon FX 55 (single-core), X850XT, 2GB PC3200 and a bundle of drives. You will need to get the Molex->PCIe adapter for the graphics card though...I would guess the PSU should be fine though.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:25 am

Zorander wrote:Tell me, is the x850XT comparable in power consumption to the x1950Pro?

Also, how quiet are the HIS IceQ cards? They already come with decent-looking coolers so if they are good enough, I don't mind spending the extra on what will be a convenient one-in-all quiet solution.
Yes, their power consumption are about the same; X850XT, X1950Pro.
Some people praise the HIS IceQ3 cards, here is one happy user.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:01 pm

Cool. Any more happy IceQ3 users here? The more the merrier (and more confidence-instilling, for sure). :) If not, what are the oft-recommended VGA coolers (and I'll get a card with bone-standard cooler)?

Looking at those graphs (and comparing with the 9800 Pro), operation at idle will be less power-consuming with the x1950Pro. Good. The issue is whether my PSU will be up to the task when playing a full load with Oblivion. But since psiu said he has no trouble with his x850XT, I hope the same applies to me.
Tephras wrote: Yes, their power consumption are about the same; X850XT, X1950Pro.
Some people praise the HIS IceQ3 cards, here is one happy user.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:00 am

HIS IceQ-series is definitely quieter than any Ati active reference solution. Although they might now quite be SPCR quiet in full speed. I had original VGA cooler in HIS IceQ 9800-pro and that was amazing. So I have had positive experiences from IceQ-cooling series myself.

And HIS cards are usually factory overclocked. If they aren't they usually overclock very nicely. I think all cards what HIS makes are high quality, quiet gems with high overclock ability. Too bad that their availability is more or less poor in here at least.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:23 am

thejamppa wrote:HIS IceQ-series is definitely quieter than any Ati active reference solution. Although they might now quite be SPCR quiet in full speed. I had original VGA cooler in HIS IceQ 9800-pro and that was amazing. So I have had positive experiences from IceQ-cooling series myself.

And HIS cards are usually factory overclocked. If they aren't they usually overclock very nicely. I think all cards what HIS makes are high quality, quiet gems with high overclock ability. Too bad that their availability is more or less poor in here at least.
Quite on the contrary, they are the most commonly available x1950Pro cards here in Australia, in addition to Powercolor. :)

samuelmorris

Post by samuelmorris » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:52 am

if at all possible, get a card you can fit a Thermalright HR-03 cooler to. There's nothing quieter than no fans at all (as long as you don't have an X1900 with screaming chips like I have).

Matija

Post by Matija » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:21 am

X1950 Pro + HR-03 = horror

(No, I still haven't managed to sort out my card.)

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 am

Club 3D / PowerColour have 1950pro Silent which as Arctic Cooling S2 fanless heatsink. That would be good choice, since you get 0dB/A card without loosing warranty when removing HSF.

lor77

Post by lor77 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:43 pm

hello Matija why are you having trouble?
I will for sure go for the 1950pro Silent since you need some extra power and most probably you will need it in the future if you are a bit of a gamer.
Can someone erase this msg.
Second time the same mistake.
Sorry again the heat really got me
Last edited by lor77 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lor77

Post by lor77 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:46 pm

I will for sure go for the 1950pro Silent since you need some extra power and most probably you will need it in the future if you are a bit of a gamer.
512MB will be needed if you only play at higher resolutions.

Matija

Post by Matija » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:13 pm

This is why.

The HR-03 itself is a wonderful heatsink, well worth its price. The GPU currently idles at 36 degrees, and even a gaming session can't heat it up over 55 degrees - totally passive. The card idled at more with stock cooling.

But VRMs on the X1950 Pro are a bitch. I don't even want to touch the card again because I know I'd get frustrated.

Funny, I bought this thing for gaming, and I have 30-minute game sessions with a couple of hours between them... I'm too afraid to let any game run longer. Didn't even save me yesterday, as the heatsinks I put on the VRMs fell off after ~20 minutes. I play games with speakers almost muted, to be able to hear the "klang-klang" when these things hit the bottom of the case...

I can't even put the sawed-in-half NB heatsink on the damn VRMs. They are the same height as SMD elements around them, so it seems like there's a real possibility of shorting something. My best bet is probably someone who has bought the AC S1 for something other than the X1950, and is willing to give me the dedicated X1950 VRM heatsink that comes with it. That would be the easiest way to fix the problem.

But I digress...

Can you make the X1950 totally silent (passive)? Sure, if you're willing to lose a couple of years of your life due to induced stress. Otherwise you definitely need a fan.

Would I have bought the X1950 had I known about this whole thing? No.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:02 pm

I don't have to have no fan on my GPU (in fact I believe a little fan is better than none at all). Tell me, I currently have the VGA Silencer on my 9800Pro and, to me, it is just passable in terms of noise. How much louder (or quieter) will the HIS IceQ3 fans be?

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:17 am

Zorander wrote:I don't have to have no fan on my GPU (in fact I believe a little fan is better than none at all). Tell me, I currently have the VGA Silencer on my 9800Pro and, to me, it is just passable in terms of noise. How much louder (or quieter) will the HIS IceQ3 fans be?
I just have some comments...

I have a HIS 9800 Pro which originally came with an AC Silencer... It was pretty quiet at first, but the fan developed an annoying clicking sound. So now it's collecting dust... There's several reports about AC Silencers with clicking noise here on SPCR.

What does that mean to the IceQ edition? If it's AC coolers, which is just rebadged, I would personally highly suspect them to have low quality fans...

Another point is, that either you have a very good sample of the Silencer, or you and I have different sensitives to noise and quality of noise. Nothing bad about that, it's just a common way of things.

Buttom line is, it'll probably be somewhat difficult to judge the IceQ noiselevels based on user reports. Due to sample variance on AC Silencers, and due to personal preferences.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:28 am

Mine definitely has no clicking sound (and I'm very picky with noise). It is however not the holy grail in silent fans as far as I care. With that in mind, I'd like to know how that original AC cooler compares to the IceQ cooler just so I know whether to expect a quieter or louder fan.

Also has anyone experienced or compared the IceQ cooler with the cooler that comes with the Powercolor cards? Which one is quieter and, of lesser importance, has the better cooling capacity? They are similarly priced so it's a hard choice between them.

NARC

Post by NARC » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:40 am

Thomas wrote: I have a HIS 9800 Pro which originally came with an AC Silencer... It was pretty quiet at first, but the fan developed an annoying clicking sound...
(snip)
My silencer (albeit on an nVidia 6800) also started ticking for what it's worth. The problem is that the fan starts gradually sliding down the post, and now the blades hit the shroud. For me, it's still quiet until I nudge the case, or load/eject a disc. That is evidentially enough movement to have the fan rub the edge.

Zorander

Re: Which one should I get? Which one is quieter?

Post by Zorander » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:58 am

Guys, can you direct me to which cooler base I should be going for? At the moment I am leaning towards the HIS simply for its exhaust system. I won't hesitate going for the Powercolor though if it runs significantly quieter.

Cheers!

psiu

Post by psiu » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:48 am

That cooler on the Powercooler doesn't look too quiet--plus it recirculates the air. I also have an AC Silencer on a videocard (X800XT PE, now in the wife's computer) and it hasn't started making noise yet. I don't think the clicking is that widespread...and even-so....AC products have that 6 year warranty. Dunno bout the warranty on the HIS card, but that's the one I would go for myself. Good luck.

Edit: Also, Definitely use ATITool to adjust clockspeeds and set fanspeeds yourself, nice to have it ramp up according to temp.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:30 am

HIS card ordered. :) Hopefully I won't have any issue with it once it's installed.

On a slightly different topic, I will have to use the DVI-to-VGA adapter to connect the card to my CRT monitor. There is probably not much space behind the case for that additional length of adapter. Is there any neat solution out there, such as a cable out with a DVI end (to connect to card) and a D-SUB/VGA end (to connect to analog monitor)?

Cheers!