AC Accelero S1 is the BEST cooler for 8800GT / ATI38?0 cards

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 am

RAM sinks are fine, you just need to spend the time to clean off your RAM properly. That being said, I'll buy your S1 set for $2 :)

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Post by Ryan Norton » Fri May 02, 2008 3:38 am

I've been following the mild debate over whether the 8800GT and other current-gen cards require heatsinks on their RAM and VRM components when used with an S1 or S2. I had heatsinks on all of the above when I was using the S1 with my old EVGA 7900GTX, but I have now had the S1 + Yate-Loon 120mm fan on my 8800GT for about a week. Using no additional heatsinks at all, I've had no stability problems in any 3D games or running RTHDRIBL tests for a few hours. GPU temp also hasn't risen over 55 C or so.

I use Speedfan to control the speed at which the fan mounted on the S1 blows, and I let it go around 400-500RPM at idle and 1000RPM or so under full 3D load.

I'm not saying my experience means you don't need those RAM and VRM heatsinks though, because who knows what the effect on those components might be over the long term. I would say, however, that if you're not using the S1 passively, and aren't overclocking the card, and the thermal design of your case is inherently sound, then you will probably be OK.

Immortals
Friend of SPCR

Post by Immortals » Thu May 08, 2008 1:54 pm

Ryan Norton wrote:
I'm not saying my experience means you don't need those RAM and VRM heatsinks though, because who knows what the effect on those components might be over the long term. I would say, however, that if you're not using the S1 passively, and aren't overclocking the card, and the thermal design of your case is inherently sound, then you will probably be OK.
You're probably right but why wouldn't you put some heatsinks on the vrms/ram? Arctic cooling sell a pack of 8 sinks separately for 5 or 6 bucks. I've put the accelero s1 on two cards and they stick great. If you have articlean they really really stick. Once you stick them on it's hard to pull them off. I put it on the 3850 and temps went down from high 80's at load to high 40's. A 40 degree drop. That's probably the most extreme example of temperature drop though because the default 3850 stock cooler is only a single slot cooler with a fan that never seems to spin more than 25%. As a result it's really quiet but doesn't cool very well.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu May 08, 2008 1:59 pm

you really do not need VRM/MOSFET/RAM coolers with Accelero. There are several manufacturers that have no mosft coolers or any other cooling but the core itself.

AC also states such things are not needed when S1 is passive on HD38x0 or 8800 GT, which they have tested as such to be working.

hirme

Post by hirme » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:31 am

Hi all, I finally purchased my Accelero S1 Rev 2... Was on sale so i bought it quick...but I didn't buy the correct version (my card is a 8800gt) Is it possible to make it fit? :cry:

edit: from what I can see from Arctic Cooling's website, it should work...I'll try than.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:49 am

The S1 might be the best cooler but if you have an Nforce4 ultra based mainboard with a tall aftermarket northbridge cooler (like anything from Zalman) then the S1 is not for you.

I bought a Thermalright HR-05 SLI to get around that little problem...

tsiros

Post by tsiros » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:24 am

thejamppa wrote:you really do not need VRM/MOSFET/RAM coolers with Accelero. There are several manufacturers that have no mosft coolers or any other cooling but the core itself.
rev2 here.

gigabyte 3850 256MB pcie here (specificaly gv-rx385256h-b)

removing the stock cooler was easy
cleaning the goo on the gpu was easy
accelero is well built, the lightness deceives you
of course it is easily bent, the ultra120 is easily bent too, what would you prefer? double the weight ? or 2mm thick fins? i say it is well built. esp. for its money

right now i salvaged a pci-agp bridge sink from an agp 7600gs... i will try make it stick on the 8 vrms it fits rather nicely

ram heatsinks stick well enough i guess
sippin my coffee and installing a cooler
next up two 160GB hdds in raid (mirroring, for faster access)

ah, what better way to celebrate my birthday

tsiros

Post by tsiros » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:34 am

dammit. the sink doesn't fit over the vrms. there are a couple smds nearby.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:03 am

One way to make room for smds is to drill shallow holes in the base of the heatsink.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

tsiros wrote: next up two 160GB hdds in raid (mirroring, for faster access)
Sorry to ask an off-topic question, but I must. I thought that stripping is for performance while mirroring is for protection, correct?

Putki

Post by Putki » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:20 am

Just recently noticed this: http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=6056950.jpg

Above: 3DMark06 with Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev. 2 at spring 2008
Middle: 3DMark06 with stock cooling
Below: 3DMark06 with Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev. 2 yesterday

So there's A LOT of heat increase. I use Arctic Silver Céramique Thermal Paste for the GPU. Yesterday I took the card off and blew dust away, but it didn't help. Seems that it's time to change the thermal paste...

Putki

Post by Putki » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:07 am

Well now I took the 2008 paste away and put there fresh Arctic Silver Céramique Thermal Paste.

Here is the result:
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=6057537.jpg

above: 2008
mid: yesterday with old paste
below: today with new paste

Still not good enough... Perhaps a bit more paste would be required.