Non gaming fast cool VGA card

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gerry

Post by gerry » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Greetings all.
My existing setup;
Asus P4P800E deluxe socket 478 mobo....GeForce FX5700 Lite video card...SeaSonic 430PSU.....Zalman 9500 CPU cooler with P4 3ghz Prescott CPU...2 x 1G OCZ 400 124ELPE DDR ram 16 x(64x8) @200mhz 20-3-2-5....HDD..Sata WDC WD2500ks OOMJBO 16mb cache....Monitor is Samsung LCD 19" SyncMaster 193P....Sound card is Creative FX Extreme Music. The case is an Antec Solo. OS XP Pro. SP2
I built this up as an upgrade from advice given in these forums and it continues to function superbly. My work is research in Human Motion/ Mechanics and I am also a published writer. A shift in focus in my work makes this setup inadequate. I now need a much superior VGA card. However, technology has moved on and my motherboard can't handle the 'latest and the greatest' so it's time to change from the ground up. I also need to future insure my rig for later upgrades.
I love my Antec Solo case and want to keep that, if possible, with it's SeaSonic 430watt PSU, if that PSU at 85% efficiency rating is sufficient. It has subdued even a heat demon like my Prescott P4 3gh CPU!!
I DON'T GAME AND I DON'T OVERCLOCK. I don't ever run high energy apps in bunches.
I need to be able to critically analyze humans in motion such as (say) a golfer swinging a golf club but with such clarity as to be able to identify and log the exact shifts in positions and rotations of each bone in sequence, to be able to identify the muscles involved etc. It is precise and exacting.
The machine is also used for everyday stuff like web surfing, email, word documents etc.
I intend to rebuild from the motherboard onwards with every component centered about the needs of the new VGA card with added emphasis on FAST, COOL, QUIET, reliable and efficient.
Budget is not a problem but I don't want anything that doesn't serve a real purpose.
Your advice and assistance with the best VGA card for the job would be deeply appreciated. If you can extend that to suggesting a complete setup
to wrap around that card that would be even more appreciated. BTW I'm an Aussie living in Australia but I do have both friends and work associates in the US who would ship components to me that I cannot sauce in Aus.
Thanks
gerry

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:36 pm

You should be able to keep the Solo and Seasonic - 430 W is good enough for most people that do game.

It is hard to just up and say x graphics card is what you need. Depending on what programs you use, you might want a professional graphics card (although unlikely). Upgrading to anything recent from a Geforce 5700 is going to be a pretty pronounced difference.

If you budget is not the main constraint, I would suggest using lower-end, current generation components. I figure this will give you the best chance of being able to upgrade a couple of years down the road or give you the option to switch to more hardware demanding applications.

If what you are using doesn't run so well on a 5700, even a 8500GT or 8600GT will likely do just fine for you. Nvidia recently released the 9600GT, which is rather powerful for a low-midrange card. It isn't availible, as far as I know, without a fan. This means that you would have to install an Accerero S1 r2 or S2, or Thermalright HR-03 GT yourself and add a fan.

For a motherboard, go with a P35 Gigabyte board. They have quite a number of them (21 last time I counted), so if you have a look at them, only get the features that you need. The GA-P35-DS3L is cheep (under $100 in North America) and has both sold very well and has a 5/5 star rating out of 788 reviews on newegg - which is always a good sign.

An Intel E8200 would suit you needs. If there isn't much of a price difference with the E8400, you might as well go for that. The only difference between the two is a bump from 2.66 GHz to 3 GHz.

To cool that, I would suggest a Scythe Ninja with either a Scythe S-Flex 800 RPM fan or a Nexus fan on it. This will keep it nice and cool, silently.

If you haven't already, you will want to switch your case fan (or both if you have an intake fan) to the 800 RPM S-Flex or Nexus. There is no point having mostly silent components.

Assuming you want a new hard drive, the WD Greenpower series has got good reviews here from SPCR. They are a little bit slower than your average 3.5 in HDD. If speed is important, have a look at the new WD 640 GB drive. It only has two platters, so it should also be quiet.

gerry

Non gaming fast cool VDA card

Post by gerry » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:48 pm

Blue_Sky
I found your post most helpful, thank you. I have been to many review sites, especially newegg, to learn what I can about your recommendations. I have come to the following conclusions.
1)...I'll stick with the existing Antec Solo and SeaSonic 430watt PSU
2)...WD 640Gb HDD without doubt
3....Gigabyte GD P35 DS3P motherboard (I chose the DS3P over the DS3L as I had more to offer)
4)...Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
5...Adding up the costs it leaves me a lot more to play with than I had anticipated for the critical part (for my needs) the graphics card. I have looked hard at the XFX8800GT but a few reviewers commented on loud fan noise and heat. Some reviewers claim this can be overcome in the settings , any thoughts there? I don't need professional graphics card or 3D at this time.
Considering all of the other components, what would you recommend as a VGA card to obtain maximum effect/ benefits from them, including compatibility, COOL and QUIET and FAST. Up to say $400-$450 is not a problem for the card, even a bit higher, if needed. Without overkill, what card would compliment the overall system best.
thanks again
gerry

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:58 am

If you don't need a professional card, but do need power, the 8800GT is the way to go. I have yet to hear about any of the stock coolers being anywhere near reasonably quiet. I would highly recommend putting an aftermarket cooler on there (have a look at those that I mentioned previously). It is really the only way to keep it both cool and quiet.

I think EVGA has a lifetime warranty and their warranty isn't void if you switch coolers.

There aren't any faster cards out there that you could cool quietly. The 8800GTS 500 MB is the only efficient card faster than the 8800GT, but the extra power draw isn't worth it.

gerry

Post by gerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Blue_Sky
Thanks again.
I will go with the eVGA8800GT with the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 heatsink fitted after purchase and will also add a 120mm low rpm, high cfm low noise fan to the heatsink. I found an excellent review on the S1 by Lawrence LEE in SPCR dated 26th December 07 re performance and fitting of S1 and fan to his own case, the Antec Solo, the same case as mine. He also offered excellent advice on ways to further noise/ heat proof the Antec Solo by showing, in great detail, what he had done with his own Solo. Anyone wanting a superb cool, quiet, non intrusive case should read this review and perhaps consider the Solo.
I did come across several rave reviews about a slightly more expensive but less commonly known 120mm cooling fan, the Noctura F_12, which has a claimed airflow rate of over 54 cfm @ 19.8dB, an MTBF of 150,000 hours, warranty of 6 years and with Low and Ultra Low adapters. It cost a few dollars more but, hey, the strength of any chain is only equal to it's weakest link so I'm delighted to go without a few beers to get the best, if need be. Some added specs may be of interest;
Without adapter LNA ULNA
airflow 1300 1100 900
Static Pressure 1.68 1.43 1.21
Acoustic Noise 19.8dB(A) 16.9dB(A) 12.6dB (A)
Input Power 1.08watt
Output voltage 12 volts.

Any thoughts/ suggestions on how this would stack up against the Scythe S-Flex 800 RPM fan or a Nexus fan you have already recommended? I will get two 120s, one for the heatsink and one for the case.
Incidentally, I will be marrying all of this to a high end 22" or 24" LCD monitor but I'll source that myself from Australia. That will give me what I really need for my work (very) high speed rates, high resolutions and high fps.
I sincerely appreciate your help
Gerry.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:46 pm

Noctuas are one of the few commonly used brands of fans that I don't own. With that said, I wouldn't recommend using a Noctua fan. From the countless threads I have read here, they are a common first-time-silencing type of fan. They start out sounding quiet, and by the end of all of the silencing mods, they are by far the loudest components.
900 RPM shouldn't be that bad though.

Manufacturers numbers are usually a little wonky. dB values are best crossed off - some are so optimistic that they have no bearing on real life. One manufactures 20 dB is very different from another's 20 dB, which is also very different from SPCR's 20 dB.
1.08 W is also optimistic. I have 1200 RPM Yate Loons that are rated for 0.30 A, which is 3.6 W. My 500 RPM Kaze fans are rated for 0.07 A (or 0.84 W).
Thirdly, static pressures are usually measured in mmH20. If you convert this to a percentage of an atmosphere (which I find is the most easily understood value for someone that isn't immediately familiar with the units), you will find that the total value is within an acceptable error range for the measurements, meaning that the value has no merit.

What I'm really trying to say, is that fan manufacturer's marketing departments are mildly crooked. It is best to listen to what other SPCR members (especially the reviewers) say.

Remember that multiple low speed fans are better than one or two high speeds fans. I cool mine with one Nexus fan and one Kaze 500 RPM. It works just fine, as I only have an 8600GT.

If you are looking for a quality LCD monitor, have a look here. It is the densest LCD info thread that I've found.

gerry

Non gaming fast cool VGA card.

Post by gerry » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Blue_Sky
Many thanks for your input. Deeply appreciated. I have put a bunch of stuff together that I think (hope) satisfies all of my needs, would appreciate it if you could go through it, see if you can spot any possible conflicts or irregularities and cast a verdict. This is for a work/ research system that may? have to go up to 3D/ professional graphics stuff in the future hence my shift towards the Gigabyte EP35-DS3R motherboard. Will change to GD P35 DS3PL on your advice.

I'm keeping:
Case…n/a Original Antec Solo
PSU…n/a Original SeaSonic S12 430watt
Sound..n/a Original Creative Extreme Music
MOBO $121.99 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard – Retail
CPU $259.99 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
_________
$826.99US

Will also buy and fit Arctic Cooling Accelero S1.v2 heatsink after purchase to 8800GT and will also add a 120mm low rpm, high cfm low noise fan to the heatsink.
All prices quoted from newegg.
Thanks again
gerry

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:28 am

8800 GT is gaming card. Getting such for Non-gaming computer is waiste of money and horse powers. Its multi media properties are weaker than in 9600 GT or HD 38x0's.

For your need HD 3650 or 8600 GT would have been more than enough.