I have read many postings here and I finally decided to post! I am working on creating a P182 design similar to the many builds listed here. After doing some homework on Newegg and reading about VGA cards, I am determined to find the best solution for a passive video card.
I am not going SLI/Crossfire, I'm a pretty firm believer in a single card. I am Nvidia-biased from my positive experience over the years (TNT ftw!), but, the ATI card listed below has me reconsidering!
Here is my debate:
- POWERCOLOR AX3870512MD4SC3 Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131089
@ $197 w/ MiR + Ship
- My concern is that it appears to dominate from specifications (marketing ploy?) but performance may be less then the others compared. I heard this puppy also uses a 55nm core verses the 8800GTs at 65nm? Any experience with the electrical whine from this?
- ECS N8800GT-512MX+ GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814134035
@ $168 w/ MiR + Ship
- The specs look wonderful. I may be mistaken, but I think this card outperforms both the 9600GT and HD3870 in benchmarks? This was originally my first choice. The accelro + turbo fan kit make it even MORE attractive!
- ECS N9600GT-512MX-P GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814134040
@ $132 w/ MiR + Ship
- I think the specs of this card rivaled the HD3870, if not fell behind in certain AA situations? The marketing scheme is playing tricks with me here... yes it is a newer card, but is it that much "worse" or "better" then the 8800GT or HD3870? (I read on SPCR somewhere there is no problem with whine on this, yet.)
PS - I know Powercolor from ages ago... never heard of ECS until these cards though!
-- Or if you have any better recommendations for some 2008 video cards, please let me know! I am willing to pop an accelro on if needed. Trying to keep it under $250.