Accelero S1 can't cope with HD 4870

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

darkb

Post by darkb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 am

I have a sapphire 4870, and just put an accelero S1 rev.2 and turbo module on it.. After a bit of fiddling it works really nicely. I'm running it at 790/4400 and gpu core is idling at 45C and reaching 54C under load. :P

Some tips for this combo: The heatsinks provided for the ram and voltage regulators actually work really well, the trick is to clean the chips properly first.. I used the ArctiClean combo, which worked very well. So well in fact that I had to be carefull placing the heatsinks, they tended to grab immediately. I applied pressure to them for 5-10 seconds and they were stuck there.

I did end up removing a mm or so from a few fins on the bottom ram heatsink, so that it didn't touch one of the heatpipes.

Oh and if your screen turns off during boot and the third led from the edge of the card lights up.. that means the cooler isn't seated properly and the thermal protection has kicked in. :)

Shadout

Post by Shadout » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:37 am

@Mrc112
Should be fine, mine reached 125 C with stock cooler :S (and 90-100 C with S1).
And as Ryboto said nothing else really stress the VRM as much as FUR, try check the temps doing some other GPU heavy stuff.

OhYeah

Post by OhYeah » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:09 am

darkb wrote:I have a sapphire 4870, and just put an accelero S1 rev.2 and turbo module on it.. After a bit of fiddling it works really nicely. I'm running it at 790/4400 and gpu core is idling at 45C and reaching 54C under load. :P
Did the S1 rev2 you bought come with the right size VRM coolers for the 4870 card?

ara

Post by ara » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:34 am

darkb wrote:I did end up removing a mm or so from a few fins on the bottom ram heatsink, so that it didn't touch one of the heatpipes.
What you can also do is to put pressure with your thumb on the bottom heat pipe and bend it slightly inwards towards the cooler and away from the card.

It worked well for me and allowed me to properly fit the heatsinks.