ATI Tools Artifact Scanning Errors

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Max Dread

ATI Tools Artifact Scanning Errors

Post by Max Dread » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:33 am

Hi

I've installed ATI Tools 0.27 beta4 and when running the artifical scanning I get errors every 2 to 3 seconds...

So is this a problem and what should I do if it is?
Should I try running an older version of ATI Tools and if so which one?

I'm testing my newly installed PNY 9600GT and am NOT overclocking. Temps during the test are within the 50Cs.

Should I be looking to RMA this card?

Would appreciate any help.

CHeers

Max

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:27 am

Hmm, with temps that low it may just be a problem with ATITool. Have you seen if your card works with 0.26? I would test that first before RMAing

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 am

Hi mate

Tried that but it made no difference. I'm not familiar with ATI Tools so maybe Im doing something wrong...although it seems pretty simple.

Some other weird things though. I tried the "Find Max Core" and "Find Max Mem" parts, and each says "Your memory/core is overclocked" and explains how it may effect the tests. BUT my card is stock and hasnt been OC'd by me - so Im really confused now!

When I run these tests, the yellow artifacts appear as before but they are no longer reported as errors and the test just continues.

If anyone could help me out here I would really appreciate it!

Cheers

Max

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:40 pm

That is a bit odd, if its any consellation I have lost faith in ATITool, as it wont even run on my current PC, ATITool hangs as soon as I run the Artifact Scanner/Find Max Core/Memory, yet I have no problems with any games, and it is not heat related on any card component.

I would suggest looking elsewhere for someting to test your card with rather than ATITool, such as leaving it on a loop of 3D Mark 200x for a whole day.

Andy

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:06 pm

HA HA - I used to have a good mate called Andy B....!

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I must admit that you have not been the only one to report problems with ATI Tool. Plus, I posted the query at GPUReview and a chap there said that he had had the sma e problem as me when running the test, yet has had the same card for 2 years and never had a problem. So I think I will go ahead and sack the ATI Tool/Artifact Scanner - as suggested.

Thanks for your time.

Max.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:13 pm

UPDATE:

I've ran 3DMark 06 and FurMark. Could not visually see any artifacts in either. Here are the results:

FurMark:
Min 20
Max 31
Avg 23
Score 1403

3DMark06
4506 SM 2.0
4292 SM 3.0
3862 CPU Score

BUT - when watching the 3DMark 06 test, during the two CPU tests the graphics stutter really badly, and the read out fluctuates between 0 and 1 fps. Is this normal??? Seems odd, but then my CPU score was OK.

Also, my temps never went higher than 63C. Do you guys think the Accelero S1 Rev2 will bring this down or make it higher?

Cheers

Max

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Max Dread wrote:BUT - when watching the 3DMark 06 test, during the two CPU tests the graphics stutter really badly, and the read out fluctuates between 0 and 1 fps. Is this normal???
Yes, that's normal. The scene is rendered in software, with no help from the GPU. I really don't know why that test is included btw, and in the trial version of 3DMark you cannot skip it. I hate that. ;)