a passive card with HDMI ouput?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cojona

a passive card with HDMI ouput?

Post by cojona » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:03 am

Hi there!
I am looking for a video card for my HD HTPC (1080p). I am making a silent machine so i need a passive video card with HDMI output. Any advice will be welcomed.
Thanks!!!!

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 am

Would you be happy with DVI outputs and a HDMI adapter?

Do you intend to play games now or in the future, is it it solely for movies? ANything else you will be using the computer for?

Max

cojona

Post by cojona » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:03 am

Max Dread wrote:Would you be happy with DVI outputs and a HDMI adapter?

Do you intend to play games now or in the future, is it it solely for movies? ANything else you will be using the computer for?

Max
Hi again
I am looking for the best quality HD video signal. I have just bought a new monitor from Philips, model 9703H, and now I am designing the HTPC. I know that games and silent are opposite. And if I had to choose the choice would be silent :wink: . But I am trying to balance both needs.
I mention the HDMI connector because the audio signal. I think that it is easier the connection with the monitor trough a unique cable.
So the question is: which is the best passive video card with HDMI output?
Thanks a lot for your help :D

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:16 am

Hi

You are probably best waiting for a more qualified answer, as what I'm now going to say is based on my memory - which isnt what it used to be!

I was recently looking at getting either a 9600GT or a HD3870. Now, I THINK the HD3870 has an internal connection option whereby you can set it up so that audio is transmitted throught the HDMI cable. Look into this yourself or wait for someone more knowledgable to confirm....

But the HD3870 is not silent.....unless you are prepared to fit an accelero or other heatsink to it afterwards. That's what Im doing with my 9600GT....

Otherwise, there are 3 off the shelf passive HD3870s that I know of . Powercolor SCS3, Sapphire Ultimate and Club3D. They are all 3 slot solutions though, and from what I read they are not as effective as an accelero (which would make a card 2 slot, but is TALL so check it would fit first).

The other option is a stock cooled HD3850. Read the review of it here at SPCR. Supposedly very quiet, although less performance than the cards I have mentioned so far.

The other advantage of these ATIs over Nvidias is their low idle/2D power consumption. This could be an important factor if most of what you do ends up being 2D.

Cheers

Max

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:42 am

cojona wrote:
Max Dread wrote:Would you be happy with DVI outputs and a HDMI adapter?

Max
Hi again
I am looking for the best quality HD video signal. I have just bought a new monitor from Philips, model 9703H, and now I am designing the HTPC. I know that games and silent are opposite. And if I had to choose the choice would be silent :wink: . But I am trying to balance both needs.
I mention the HDMI connector because the audio signal. I think that it is easier the connection with the monitor trough a unique cable.
So the question is: which is the best passive video card with HDMI output?
Thanks a lot for your help :D
most hdmi cards ive seen take sound from the soundcard via mini plug and pass it down the hdmi. not real digital sound like a dedicated optical or coax would provide.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:28 am

xan_user wrote: most hdmi cards ive seen take sound from the soundcard via mini plug and pass it down the hdmi. not real digital sound like a dedicated optical or coax would provide.
Radeon HD cards since the 2000 series have the audio circuitry built in, and you don't need a separate audio card with them. They can output it through hdmi if the card has hdmi features enabled. The audio path will be fully digital up to the receiver that way.

To OP: Maybe a Radeon HD 4550? It's passive and has hdmi. Haven't seen image quality tests for hdtv decoding offloading though.

cojona

Post by cojona » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:47 am

Max Dread wrote:Hi

You are probably best waiting for a more qualified answer, as what I'm now going to say is based on my memory - which isnt what it used to be!

I was recently looking at getting either a 9600GT or a HD3870. Now, I THINK the HD3870 has an internal connection option whereby you can set it up so that audio is transmitted throught the HDMI cable. Look into this yourself or wait for someone more knowledgable to confirm....
Max
Hi
What is your opinion about these cards: Asus EN9600GT Silent and Asus EAH3650 Silent? Both are passive and support HDMI via DVI (they have not a HDMI connector)
Thanks again!!

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:57 am

The 9600GT is head and shoulders (maybe torso too) above the 3650, which would not be too good for games I dont think.

I dont think the ASUS cooler is all that good compared to the Accelero, from what I have read. What is your case/system like in terms of air flow?

Are you not up for custom fitting an accelero? I was a bit hesitant at first....but then I found a 9600GT cheap because it was open box, and will soon be fitting an accelero to it. Total price will be around £80, which is the usual price for a stock 9600GT here in the UK.

What I did was installed the card first and run various tests and benchmarks to make sure it was OK and did not need returning. Now I can fit the accelero. I do believe EVGA cards allow you to change the cooler without voiding the warranty...so that could be an option if that is a concern. Do check first though.

Max.

cojona

Post by cojona » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:25 am

Max Dread wrote:The 9600GT is head and shoulders (maybe torso too) above the 3650, which would not be too good for games I dont think.

I dont think the ASUS cooler is all that good compared to the Accelero, from what I have read. What is your case/system like in terms of air flow?

Are you not up for custom fitting an accelero? I was a bit hesitant at first....but then I found a 9600GT cheap because it was open box, and will soon be fitting an accelero to it. Total price will be around £80, which is the usual price for a stock 9600GT here in the UK.

Max.
OK :D 9600GT then.
I have not chosen the case yet. Any recomendations? I didnt know the Accelero products but they look cool. The main issue with them is the height: I'll be double check this with the final case.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:35 am

This is the case I got:

http://www.paqt.co.uk/

I went for the full on £276 package which seems a lot at first, but bear in mind you get a PSU (Seasonic), a decent CPU cooler and fan, and Rack ears (which I needed). With the right components, this case really is silent...worth the money if you want pure silence, maybe not if you dont mind a bit of noise. This was the only case I looked at so I cant comment on others.

BTW, the accelero is too tall for the ase. My plan is to "J" bend the top of the heatsink - there's a thread or two around here about the subject with pics as well. Do look inot the passive HD3870 options as well. The card is pretty similar performance wise to the 9600GT. But whatever you do, always measure first!

Good luck and fire away if I can help you any more.

Max.

twoscoreandfour

Post by twoscoreandfour » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 am

cojona wrote:
Max Dread wrote:The 9600GT is head and shoulders (maybe torso too) above the 3650, which would not be too good for games I dont think.

Max.
OK :D 9600GT then.
I have not chosen the case yet. Any recomendations? I didnt know the Accelero products but they look cool. The main issue with them is the height: I'll be double check this with the final case.

Before you jump in, you might want to check out this review of the 4550 at anandtech.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3420

If it's only for HTPC and not for gaming this has WAY better power consumption than the 9600gt and is passively cooled. Plus is offers LPCM through HDMI (ie HDMI w/ audio), as opposed to most "HDMI" cards which offer a separate digital, or worse, analog audio dongle. I believe only the ECS 9600gt supports this.

bkh

Post by bkh » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:37 am

Before buying a 3650 please check recent video card articles at anandtech.com --- I vaguely recall (perhaps in a review of the 4650?) that there was some problem with HDMI in the 3xxx series, but that it works properly in the 4xxx series.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:03 am

lm wrote:
xan_user wrote: most hdmi cards ive seen take sound from the soundcard via mini plug and pass it down the hdmi. not real digital sound like a dedicated optical or coax would provide.
Radeon HD cards since the 2000 series have the audio circuitry built in, and you don't need a separate audio card with them. They can output it through hdmi if the card has hdmi features enabled. The audio path will be fully digital up to the receiver that way.

To OP: Maybe a Radeon HD 4550? It's passive and has hdmi. Haven't seen image quality tests for hdtv decoding offloading though.
i guess iv'e only fooled around with hdmi on geforce, and not super high end.

good to know about the ati cards. so no sound card is required with radeon hdmi cards?

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:39 pm

I havn't tried the hdmi output on my card but I can tell you that it runs very cool and is a great card.

A few weeks ago I got a Palit 9600gt 1gb sonic. It was about $120 on newegg.

no dvi -> hdmi adapter needed... this card has hdmi, 2xdvi and DISPLAYPORT! right there on the pci slot back panel.

The stock fan on the card is loud when the pc is first turned on. Once the nvidia drivers kick in the rpm lowers automatically to 25% and it is 'quiet'. If you add whatever people recommend here for a silent cooler and you've got yourself an awesome high definition machine!

Out of the box with its stock cooler it does take up the pci slot below it.

Stock it runs cool enough that a few of my friends with 9800gt's are jealous.

I'm thinking about adding a Thermalright T-Rad2 cooler to it in the coming months.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:51 pm

9600GT is an interesting card, but not optimal for HTPC use. There are cheaper cards with stock passive cooling that will do the job better. 4650 would be my choice today, or 4670 and an aftermarket passive cooler if there will be some gaming.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:10 am

Personally I would take a serious look at the MSI nVidia GeForce 9500GT Silent 512MB. This has the advantage of somewhat lower power consumption than the 9600gt and it does have an HDMI socket, so there is no need to reply on dongles.

See
http://media.msi.eu/main.php?g2_itemId= ... ewsIndex=1

The 9500gt would certainly offer less games performance than the 9600gt, and needs less power to the extent that it does not need an external PCI-Express power connection. This particular model also only has DDR2 memory but I would guess this is all part of the balance between silence and power consumption/performance.