Northbridge cooling - who uses it?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Do you use aftermarket northbridge cooling?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 42

bgiddins

Northbridge cooling - who uses it?

Post by bgiddins » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:56 am

How many people here have upgraded their northbridge cooling for integrated graphics motherboards? I have a Asus P5Q-VM, and even just Gnome desktop results in very warm to hot temps on the little blue OEM heatsink. I'm considering replacing it with something like the Thermalright HR-05 or Xigmatek CN881, but am waiting to decide on a new CPU cooler - the close proximity of the CPU and NB will make it a tight fit so I need to pick a compatible combination.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:07 am

I don't see why anyone would use aftermarket NB cooling unless they're overclocking in some way. Folks are way too sensitive about things being hot to the touch I think.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:23 am

So I guess I'm one of the few... (or maybe I'm just weird :lol: )
I use the noctua heatsink on my Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard.
The standard heatsink was hot (almost burn-your-finger hot) and after I replaced the standard Intel CPU blowdown heatsink with a Minja, I was affraid is was going to get even hotter. So I replaced it with this little tower style heatsink, which fits better in my airflow pattern.

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:44 am

nutball wrote:I don't see why anyone would use aftermarket NB cooling unless they're overclocking in some way.
I can think of one: a very loud 40mm fan on the stock heatsink. It hasn't been too long since those disappeared.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:21 pm

nForce4Ultra 40mm NB fan replaced with HR05-SLI - much better.
Given most modern MBs are now passive, it's less of an issue I suspect.

walle

Post by walle » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Thermalright coolers across the entire board, including CPU and VGA.

:)

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:25 am

I'm using a Thermalright HR-05 on an Asus P5B-E Plus Northbridge. I also have a Zalman NB47J on the Southbridge. I think I was nearly having problems with the Southbridge before, IDE / ATAPI errors etc in the event log.
My Dad's NF-M2 system had stability issues for about a year until I found they were due to small Southbridge heatsink with very poor amount of thermal paste. A significantly larger heatsink and good thermal paste application has removed the problem completely!
Seb

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:44 am

I upgraded the NB heatsink on Gigabyte's 690G ATX board.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 am

I replaced the NB coolers in 2 Shuttle SB61G2 machines with Zalman passive ones but generally I only swap them out if they have fans or if they do not cool properly due to the lower airflow that I use compared to what they are designed for . I use either Zalman or Thermalright depending on which one suits the application . When using onboard graphics a NB cooler upgrade is sometimes a good idea in a low flow case - otherwise what comes with the board does .

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:58 am

Why do people use aftermarket chipset cooling? For various reasons:
1. Curious, obsessive people cannot refrain from touching everything in their computers including hot components like heatsinks. For these folks, a better cooler can prevent that burning scalding feeling. 8)
2. Some people have a fear of heat (whether justified or not) and cooler temperatures results in a feeling of safety and calm. A form of insurance for their components' longevity and their own personal sanity.
3. Stock coolers are usually not that great. They may get the job done and keep within the 100-120 C thermal limits, but who wants to let it run that high?! A better cooler with better thermal compound will see an improvement in temperatures which will satisfy people in situations 1 & 2.
4. Aesthetic tastes. Some people want a "better looking" heatsink. They want something different. Something aftermarket to match/colour coordinate/juxtapose with the rest of their gear.
5. Some people have too much money to spend. They go all out on their systems.
6. Overclocking. :(
7. People want to test hardware out to see the difference for themselves.

I place myself in all categories except for 5 & 6. :)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:08 pm

I also have the Asus P5B-E. which has a standard NB heatsink. The center verticle fin has a "T" top. Initially I was going to replace it as it was too hot to hold even at stock speeds. Space became an issue, so I put 2 of these on top of the T portion. (not 2 packages just 2 from 1 package)

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcbgamera.html

Just 2 Swiftech copper jobs on top of the stock cooler lowered the temps by 5C and held it there even after OCing. They are heavy for their size since they are solid copper, not copper colored aluminum.

On another board the NIC chip was really hot, so I added one there.

The following are huge for SB heat sinks, and probably are larger than some NB heat sinks as well. And they are cheap too.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/miso ... =miso.html

neumein

Post by neumein » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:29 pm

I upgraded my NB cooler from stock (abit ip35 (non-pro)), to the thermalright Hr-05IFX. Now, keep in mind, I am an overclocker (Q6600 @ 4.0, 1.7v), but even with this monster setup, temps have still dropped ~7-10 deg C, and that is running passive!