HR-03GT Orientation on a 9800GTX+

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nik7304

HR-03GT Orientation on a 9800GTX+

Post by Nik7304 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:51 am

Thinking of getting a Thermalright HR-03GT for an upcoming XFX 9800GTX+ I'm hoping to get. I read on the Thermalright page that it can be aligned with the fins either below or above the card. I'm thinking of putting a 92mm fan on it, so there are three questions really:

-Would it be better to put the fins above the card so the heat rises and gets exhausted out the rear by the main fan? If the fins and the fan are below the card, won't I just end up with turbulence at the bottom of the case with the hot air being blown around.

-Regardless of the direction of the fins, should the fan be blowing onto the cooler or drawing air through it?

-Does the motherboard or GPU control the speed of the fan, or is it a case of it constantly blowing?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:56 am

Would it be better to put the fins above the card so the heat rises and gets exhausted out the rear by the main fan? If the fins and the fan are below the card, won't I just end up with turbulence at the bottom of the case with the hot air being blown around.
If you put the heatsink under the card, have the fan blow up, not down.
Also, be sure you have enough clearance if you have the heatsink on top of the card with the fan. If I were you, I'd try to duct the warm air away from the CPU too, it would also help your overall case temps.
-Regardless of the direction of the fins, should the fan be blowing onto the cooler or drawing air through it?
Either is fine in my opinion. Maybe it's slightly better for the VRMs to have the fan blow towards the card... Dunno.
I'd personnaly have the fan blow up, no matter what setup you choose ; it's the best way to help natural circulation of warm air.
-Does the motherboard or GPU control the speed of the fan, or is it a case of it constantly blowing?
Dont know but I'm guessing it's the GPU on such a card (it's the GPU on my 9800GTX+). You can have your mobo control it if you want, using speedfan : you can assign whatever fan to whatever component.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:54 am

My advice is to forget about the HR-03GT if you didn't already buy it and get this instead, it will take less space and cool at least as well:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... in%20Turbo

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:51 am

My advice is to forget about the HR-03GT if you didn't already buy it and get this instead, it will take less space and cool at least as well:
Or get the "normal" accelero and add a fan of your choice on it (any 92 or 120mm fan will do)

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks, I was actually thinking of the Accelero, either the Twin Turbo or the S1, but my brother was going on about the HR-03.

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Nik7304 wrote:Thanks, I was actually thinking of the Accelero, either the Twin Turbo or the S1, but my brother was going on about the HR-03.
i was wonderng about the hr03 and the twin turbo too, but decided just to go with the accelero in the end. here's the post with a few temps and what you could possibly expect: viewtopic.php?p=442337#445839

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks DDRJ. Just what I was looking for! :)

I put a little reply in your thread, just something which might help with the CPU cooling.