Help with loud fan: Gigabyte GeForce 9800 GTX+

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WR304

Post by WR304 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm

WeltallZero wrote:Oh man! I think I just messed up then, I WAS touching the chip directly :(. Rubbing it, as a matter of fact. Damn, I hope I haven't messed up the card!
I executed the PhysX demo, and within less than one minute the temperature rose to 98ºc and the computed pretty much crashed :S. The Accelero itself felt warm, even hot, to the touch, so at the very least it seems that it's conducting heat properly. However, I read reviews of people who use pure passive Acceleros with high-end GPUs and get 50-60º under load. I just can't understand why there's such a big difference.
WR304 wrote:If you've touched the GPU core with your fingers it leaves an oily residue behind that will affect the cooling performance of the heatsink.
Remember that to be properly clean it means getting rid of any residue from handling the card also.
What are your idle temperatures for the card?

It sounds like you need to clean your GPU core fully and then apply some new thermal paste. Getting a good thermal interface is very important if you want to get reasonable temperatures from an aftermarket heatsink.

You'll need to buy some more thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-2 are good brands. :)

Taking it apart will also let you look at the base of the heatsink to make sure that it had a good contact. If it had a good contact there should be an even square patch left behind in the thermal paste when you remove the cooler.

@Tzupy: Sorry, I should have been a bit more precise with my terminology (MOSFETS v VRMs). :)

The Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev 2 only comes with eight ramsinks. You need to buy some more to cool anything besides the RAM. :(

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... Q1OSwzLCw=

Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev2 package contents

The MOSFETS on that Gigabyte card look like they'll be quite difficult to cool with heatsinks. I'm sure it's do-able but you'd have to glue the heatsinks on to have any chance of them staying in place. :(

Gigabyte 9800GTX 1gb closeup

Having the fan located towards the back of the card would blow air directly onto the MOSFETS. That could be enough to keep it working.

8800GTS 512mb with Accelero S1 and HR-11 fitted showing suspended fan

WeltallZero

Post by WeltallZero » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Tzupy wrote:1) IMO you should use new quality thermal compound after thoroughly cleaning the existing one. And don't put too much, more isn't better.
2) Depends on the card, without knowing how hot they get it's hard to tell. They are supposed to tolerate upto 125C, but they easily reach such temps.
4) You should have adequate heatsinks for the MOSFETs (and memory too) in the S1 package, don't you?
In the end, I decided to leave those MOSFETs without heatsinks. I don't think it's much of a problem, because they receive direct airflow now that I've attached both fans to the card (since one of them rests squarely on top of them now). This has lowered the GPU temperatures DRAMATICALLY; it remains at pretty much exactly 50º even under heavy load!
This of course means that I don't have a 120mm fan on the case now (I only purchased two of them). Right now the case itself is cooled with the 80mm fan it came with (installed on its ceiling). This seems to work rather well and isn't too noisy. I might buy another 120mm fan and put it on the back of the case, deactivating the 80mm one, for added silence and peace of mind.
3) When you'll attach both fans to the Accelero the whole contraption might get a bit heavy, potentially lessening the contact with the GPU core.
Yeah, with two fans it was a bit taxing, weight-wise, on the Accelero. So what I've done is use a long twisty-tie to bind an end of one of the fans to the case itself (in addition to binding it to the Accelero), so now most of its weight is hanging from the case.
It does seem that GPU core contact wasn't the issue after all, as evidenced by the fact that just adding both fans decreased temperatures so much. Since the Accelero completely blocks the GPU from direct airflow, adding fans wouldn't help if the GPU wasn't transmitting its heat to the Accelero. It seems the issue is simply that my card generates a whole heap of heat and the Accelero couldn't cope with it passively.

In any case, I'm reasonably happy with the results I have now. This would simply not have been possible without all your help. I thank you all yet again for all your help and efforts. :)

WeltallZero

Post by WeltallZero » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Oh, I didn't see WR304's post.
What are your idle temperatures for the card?
I think it was about 40+ with one fan, and almost 50 (!) with no fans. Now, with both fans, it's at 36-37.
It sounds like you need to clean your GPU core fully and then apply some new thermal paste. Getting a good thermal interface is very important if you want to get reasonable temperatures from an aftermarket heatsink.

You'll need to buy some more thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-2 are good brands. :)

Taking it apart will also let you look at the base of the heatsink to make sure that it had a good contact. If it had a good contact there should be an even square patch left behind in the thermal paste when you remove the cooler.
As I mentioned, it seems that contact wasn't the problem after all, as two fans solved the problem rather spectacularly. I somewhat suspected it, as the Accelero itself was getting pretty hot. As a matter of fact, it was a bit scary to think such a small thing as the GPU could generate so much residual heat as to heat the entire Accelero by contact :D.
@Tzupy: Sorry, I should have been a bit more precise with my terminology (MOSFETS v VRMs). :)

The Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev 2 only comes with eight ramsinks. You need to buy some more to cool anything besides the RAM. :(
Actually, my R2 came with heatsinks for both the RAM (eight of them) AND for the voltage regulators (four of them IIRC). They were differently shaped, and only half of their bases were adhesive. A longitudinal half, to be precise, making the adhesive surface a sort of strip.
The MOSFETS on that Gigabyte card look like they'll be quite difficult to cool with heatsinks. I'm sure it's do-able but you'd have to glue the heatsinks on to have any chance of them staying in place. :(
The thing is that the grid would have certainly gotten in the way of the heatsinks, as the MOSFETs are quite large and tall. But I think it could have been solved by interlacing the fins on the grid with the fins on the heatsinks, as they'd be parallel and evenly spaced (probably by design).
Having the fan located towards the back of the card would blow air directly onto the MOSFETS. That could be enough to keep it working.
Yep, that's what I though too. Certainly it gets much more cooling now than before, since the original stock cooler only covered the center of the card.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:49 am

sorry for the obvious qn: does the stock cooler block the PCI/PCIe slot directly below it?

WeltallZero

Post by WeltallZero » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:55 am

Techno Pride wrote:sorry for the obvious qn: does the stock cooler block the PCI/PCIe slot directly below it?
Yep, it does, it's pretty tall. I don't see how ANY cooler wouldn't, anyway, as there's not much space left under the card. With my current configuration, the Accelero takes one additional slot and the fans at least another one, so including the card, three slots total, minimum :D.

WR304

Post by WR304 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 am

So long as it's all working ok, and you're happy with the noise levels, then that's good. :)

With two fans attached to the Accelero S1 you probably have more airflow than using the original stock cooler so I doubt the MOSFETS will overheat. :)

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 pm

WeltallZero wrote:
Techno Pride wrote:sorry for the obvious qn: does the stock cooler block the PCI/PCIe slot directly below it?
Yep, it does, it's pretty tall. I don't see how ANY cooler wouldn't, anyway, as there's not much space left under the card. With my current configuration, the Accelero takes one additional slot and the fans at least another one, so including the card, three slots total, minimum :D.
thanks, sir.

with reference to this thread, does the card squeal or make any high pitched noises under load? I remember my FX5800 (the noisebuster!) squealed under load, which was highly annoying.

rost.k

Re: Help with loud fan: Gigabyte GeForce 9800 GTX+

Post by rost.k » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

WeltallZero wrote:I've bought a brand new PC, including a Gigabyte GeForce 9800 GTX+
Hi
I bought the same card Gigabyte 9800 gtx+ 1G and cooler Accelero S1 Rev2.
Noise of this cards is awful.

Could you describe more how you remove old zalman cooler from this card?
It seems to me that cooler glued to GPU and I can't remove it.

Thanks a lot!

Byroboy

Post by Byroboy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:49 am

I have just managed to remove mine. undo all 4 screws underneith then take off the tiny clear washers then pull really hard (i had given up and was trying to remove my fan only)