About to give up trying to cool my 4850 with S1 rev 2

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mackworth

About to give up trying to cool my 4850 with S1 rev 2

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 am

I have about given up trying to cool my 4850 with the accelero s1.

When I first got it, it crashed when I was playing COD5. I haven't really had to chance to try it in a game again, but since then, I remounted it with AS5 and added the twin turbo fan. I ran the stability test for Furmark and about 100 second in my card was at 100C and I stopped it. I realize that Furmark is kind of extreme, but I am guessing when I try a game its going to do the same thing eventually.

I have one of the asus top 4850s running at its stock speed. I have an antec solo with a nexus 120mm running at 12V, and a 92mm slipsteam running at 7 in front. PSU also has a 120mm fan.

I do notice the increased temperature in the back coming out of the nexus fan during furmark.

Am I doing something wrong? What are my options? I really don't want to put the stock cooler back on, because its loud and I would have wasted all this money on this cooler.

[edit, other specs]
E8400 running stock speeds, mini ninja with the supplied 80mm fan running very low. Idles around 24C, load at 36C. Case idles maybe in the lows 30s.

my asus card idles at 34C.

[edit2, changed title ]
Changing the title, because I am not running it passive, I do have the twin turbo installed.
Last edited by mackworth on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:01 am

RAMsinks properly attached? Got anything on the VRMs?

I'm no expert, but I believe my second suggestion there is probably not necessary but might be advised if you don't have any direct airflow, which is difficult in the Solo. I'm having no probs with mine but I've got a P182 with a 120mm intake fan blowing on to the graphics card area.

I know the RAM on these cards does get very hot and it could be they need a little more airflow than your case is providing.

"Worst" case scenario, assuming everything else is OK: get a quiet undervolted 120mm fan and zip tie it to the Accelero. It's not pretty, but it will be much, much quieter than the stock cooler.
Last edited by blackworx on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:05 am

Ignore. double post. :oops:

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:16 am

Yup, I have the ramsinks on the card. I also purchased some zalman ramsinks. I used one of them on the ram chip closest to the heatpipe because of the clearance issue. I also used them on the VRMs because the included ones didn't fit the configuration used on my 4850. And like I said, I have the twin turbo module installed.

I am trying to think what else I could do to cool it besides adding a twin turbo which I have already done. another intake fan? Add a fan somewhere at the bottom of the case to "feed" the twin turbo module?

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:29 am

Oops sorry missed the bit about the twin turbo... I should be working right now and the boss keeps coming past - minimize, restore, minimise, restore... :lol:

Er, wow, yeah I don't have a clue then. Could be the overclock, but then I've managed to overclock my stock 4850 a fair amount and everything runs fine with the accelero. Just as an experiment you could try setting the clocks back to stock and see if that makes a difference?

Long term that won't be ideal obviously as you paid for a faster card, but if it does fix the problem then you've at least got a starting point. Then it's a question of balancing performance vs cooling. For increased cooling, you could try two 120mm fans zip tied to the Accelero - together they should provide more cooling than the TT module, even when undervolted.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:41 am

Yeah, I am not concerned about keeping the overclock. I got this card for about 115 after rebate, which seems pretty cheap compared to other 4850s. Maybe this asus card just isn't meant to be made passive. I wish I had tried the stock heatsink first to see what kind of temps I was getting. Maybe I will try that.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:52 am

After my last post I googled your card and I have to say I'm very surprised an Accelero with TT module is failing where that stock PoS succeeded! If going back to stock clocks doesn't help, then perhaps a dismantle/clean/remount of the Accelero might do the trick. Good luck :)

maf718

Post by maf718 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:40 am

100C in 100 seconds with the twin turbo module on the S1 is just plain wrong. You have a serious problem somewhere.

Is there any damage to the S1 such that the vapour could have escaped from the pipes? Assuming the mounting is ok, a defective S1 is all I can think of.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 am

There didn't appear to be any damage but I will take a look when I get home from work. The temperature rises very very quickly.

And like I said, I have already re-applied it to once, and confirmed there its making contact with the GPU. It noticed no chance in idle temp after re-applying with AS5 and it didn't perform any better under furmark.

Maybe I should contact AC and see what they say?

maf718

Post by maf718 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:50 am

mackworth wrote:Maybe I should contact AC and see what they say?
That's what I would do in your situation.

ck8-04

Post by ck8-04 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:38 am

I gave up trying to cool my 8800GT passively with a TR HR-03GT some time ago. The setup would be fine in the winter months, but in the summer, I saw the temperatures on the card rise to unhealthy levels and I got artifacts and lockups in games after a few hours. The only real way to get direct airflow onto the card in the Solo is to install a 92mm fan which I was not willing to do. I bought a T-Rad2 with a 120mm Scythe S-Flex fan for it and haven't had an issue since.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:09 pm

does anyone know how tight I need to tighten it on?

When I took it off the first time, it def looked like there had been contact with the thermal paste, but I am wondering if maybe there wasn't enough? If seemed pretty tight to me, but I can wiggle it a little little bit.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:18 pm

If the GPU is 100C then the S1 should burn your finger. If it's not then it's probably not mounted correctly, or the heatpipes are broken but that is very uncommon.

Placing a finger on the cooler to check the temp is a good way to check if the contact between GPU and cooler is ok.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:21 pm

difficult to describe... pretty tight, but not tight enough to bend the card is the best I can come up with.

Dr Prozac

Post by Dr Prozac » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Do you really need it passive?
You already have active cooling in your case, why not give it some extra airflow from a quiet fan?
You should be able to cool the GPU itself, but passivecooling memory and VRM section can be difficult in low airflow environment.

Also I'd recommend underclocking & undervolting your card's 2D profile.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Dr Prozac wrote:Do you really need it passive?
You already have active cooling in your case, why not give it some extra airflow from a quiet fan?
You should be able to cool the GPU itself, but passivecooling memory and VRM section can be difficult in low airflow environment.

Also I'd recommend underclocking & undervolting your card's 2D profile.
Sorry, the title of my thread is bad. I do have the twin turbo installed.

Dr Prozac

Post by Dr Prozac » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Sorry, I'm kinda tired ;)

Which sensor reaches 110 that fast? MEMIO or some other? I find MEMIO sensor to be the hottest - my card (PowerColor PCS) does reach 100* MEMIO in Furmark. No problems with stability though.

I'd check if the VRM and memory gets proper cooling. Are RAM and VRM heatsinks hot? Your Idle temperature looks good.

BTW you have to rename Furmark's exe file - ATI did some tweaks in drivers to reduce Furmark's ability to overheat its graphic cards ;)

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:40 pm

yeah, my VRM and memory are all heatsinked. The memory is heatsinked using the ones supplied in the kit. The VRM i used some zalman ram sinks. My card the VRM part is composed of 3 groups of 3 chips so the supplied just didn't fit. The zalman ones are smaller, but I figured with the twin turbo, it wouldn't matter.

And I did rename the file.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:03 pm

I just took off the twin turbo, and help a tri-cool at full blast blowing air on the unit. It didn't make any difference....

[edit]

I also touched it. You could def feel the ehat from the ram at the center, but the fins and heatpipes didn't seem to be radiating any noticeable heat. I even tightened it down, its on there pretty tight. Question, can you see the tip of the screw coming out on the other side of the bracket? I can by maybe a mm or less.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:57 pm

AFAIK, you need to tighten the screws down all the way.

If the heatsink (or at least the pipes) aren't warm at all, then something is definitely not right. Either the heatsink is not properly mounted or it is defective in some way.

evilid

Post by evilid » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:03 pm

I have a Diamond 4850 with Accelero S1 and Turbo module.
I have the original VRM sinks and Accelero Ramsinks.
The idle temp is about 40C and 56C on load.
Furmark 10min temp was 62C if I remember correctly.

I believe that you have
1. Faulty temp sensors or
2. Improper sitting of Accelero or
3. Defective Accelero

These are all I can think of.
Last edited by evilid on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:16 pm

jhhoffma wrote:AFAIK, you need to tighten the screws down all the way.

If the heatsink (or at least the pipes) aren't warm at all, then something is definitely not right. Either the heatsink is not properly mounted or it is defective in some way.
what is classified as all the way? its on there pretty tight. I have the spacers in there, I am not ure I could get it much tighters with the spaces.

I def don't think they its the temp sensor, because it crashed during a game. Its going to either be a defective unit or its not on their right. The first time I took it off, it looks like it was making good contact with the heatsink based on the imprint in the thermal paste, but maybe its just touching it or something.

Dr Prozac

Post by Dr Prozac » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:43 pm

mackworth wrote:yeah, my VRM and memory are all heatsinked.
But are they hot? And do they burn? ;)

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Ok, well, Its on there very very tight. I reached in a tried to touch each of the pipes with furmark running. It seems like 2 of them were very very very very hot, and then 2 of them were kind of warm. I wonder if 2 of the pipes are bad.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:25 pm

So I emailed AC earlier this week and have yet to receive a response.

Their website says:

"To get a complete exchange of the cooler, the defective o­ne has to be sent back to the dealer respectively to the distributor. There is not direct Manufacturer Warranty."

So I contacted newegg just to see what my options were. They told me that I can't exchange it without the original packaging. They also said I would need to remove all the little heatsinks and return those too. They said I should first contact AC to see if they would exchange it, even though I included the quote from ACs website.

I don't have the factory packaging anymore, so I am not really sure what to do since AC hasn't responded either.

lemmerdeur

Post by lemmerdeur » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Sounds like you may be out of luck there. I was just looking at an AC product, trying to decide between the Accelero Twin Turbo and the TR T-rad², but the lack of a manufacturer warranty in this era of shoddy construction and quality control is a dealbreaker for me - especially with so many decent manufacturers in this product space who back up their products with at least a year's warranty.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:10 am

Yeah, newegg gave me a 15 dollar credit for my trouble, which is only ~5 dollars less than I paid for it. I already purchased a thermalright hr-03 gt. Sure, its a lot more expensive, but this will also free up about 2 pci-e slots that were blocked by the S1 with twin turbo. 15 dollar credit will go toward a new WD GP hard drive.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:36 pm

I don't know if it was mentioned but remember that sometimes, if you get hot air cycling, the temps will ramp up and you'll see no sign of it.

Air that gets heated up must get removed. Don't let it concentrate below your video card. Sometimes removing a pci slot cover can help.

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:17 pm

vertigo wrote:I don't know if it was mentioned but remember that sometimes, if you get hot air cycling, the temps will ramp up and you'll see no sign of it.

Air that gets heated up must get removed. Don't let it concentrate below your video card. Sometimes removing a pci slot cover can help.
Yeah, I want to believe that this whole thing is user error but I have tried everything. I have re-applied it twice, I have tried the twin turbo, I have tried it with a 120mm fan, and I have tried it with the side panel off. And every time it just gets hotter and hotter until it crashes. And for reason, only 2 of the heatpipes are getting hot...

SpeedEuphoria

Post by SpeedEuphoria » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:02 pm

I just put an accelero S1 rev 2 on my Asus Top 4850 and it works great! Much cooler then the stock fan on 100%

Not sure what the issue may be but i hope you get it figured out