9600GT hsf swap?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

baconandeggs

9600GT hsf swap?

Post by baconandeggs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 pm

hi, so here is my dusty 9600GT. its the Inno3d 9600GT Armor Edition
it runs at around low-mid 40C 's (idle) with a slight whine at load. the fan always spins at max speed and is noticeable when i play games at night.

is it worth swapping for the glaciator fan?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Not really, just get AC Accelero S1 Rev 2 and you certainly have cool and quiet card after that.

baconandeggs

Post by baconandeggs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 pm

thejamppa wrote:Not really, just get AC Accelero S1 Rev 2 and you certainly have cool and quiet card after that.
yea i wish :roll:

i only got the glaciator cos it was only $3 NZD and was intending to use on another card but sadly it didnt fit.

so the question still remains...

antivenom

Post by antivenom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:43 am

baconandeggs wrote:
thejamppa wrote:Not really, just get AC Accelero S1 Rev 2 and you certainly have cool and quiet card after that.
yea i wish :roll:

i only got the glaciator cos it was only $3 NZD and was intending to use on another card but sadly it didnt fit.

so the question still remains...
If you don't want to spend out on an accelero, you could just install the glaciator and try it out, see what results your get. Did the glaciator come fully packaged with ramsinks and everything?

baconandeggs

Post by baconandeggs » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 am

i would like to try but my current heatsink, covers the gpu and the ram (which have adhesive thermal pads on them?). like this Image
looks hard to remove/replace :(

no it was second hand. anyways i dont think its possible to put ramsinks on even if i wanted to. as seen in this page http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... 00gt&num=2 (the real asus 9600gt with factory glaciator)

i notice that the heatsink of the glaciator does not have contact with the ram but the fan is large enough to blow directly onto them. are the heatsinks that important for the ram?

antivenom

Post by antivenom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:50 am

Hm... well if the Asus 9600GT glaciator doesn't use ramsinks, I'm guessing it should be fine, but I'm no expert in these matters, so you should probably check with the manufacturer.

Removal of the stock heatsink is easy, just unscrew the four screws on the underside of the card holding the heatsink on and with some twisting and wiggling, the heatsink should come away from the GPU.