GPU Heatsinks with vertical fins?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cfp

GPU Heatsinks with vertical fins?

Post by cfp » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi,

I was thinking of buying the Lian-Li PC-A20 case, which has a large fan mounted over the graphics cards sucking out hot air. (See here for a picture.)

I though about buying one/two 4870s and cooling them with the passive Arctic Cooling S1 Rev 2, but the black plastic bits along the top of the cooler would I presume rather nullify the effect of the A20's graphics card fan (and the consensus on the internet seems to be that for cooling 4870s the S1 needs at least some help).

Do you know of any graphics card heatsinks which are designed for cooling from above like this? The Thermalright's seem to have a similar problem.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

edh

Post by edh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:55 am

The Accelero's can all have the plastic bit removed. In some setups this is required.

Trying to use an S1 in that case isn't going to work with that 120mm fan anyway. The S1 sticks out beyond the edge of the card into where that fan would be sitting. I wouldn't put a 120mm fan there anyway, it doesn't look very good from a silence perspective as there's a flimsy bit of aluminium forming the duct and mount for it. This is going to sing.

If you want to add airflow to an S1 either strap a 120mm fan on below it or use a front mounted fan blowing along it so that the hot air is expelled from the rear slots. Either way, find a different case to do it in.

cfp

Post by cfp » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 am

Good point about the height of the S1, I hadn't noticed that. I could just remove that whole fan tunnel I guess and attempt to strap something behind them. I'll have a think.

Ant6n

Post by Ant6n » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I am also interested in having vertical fins, for a custom project.
...can one install the S1 or S2 sideways, so that the fins are sidways?

I know that this would mean the fins would go beyond the card on both sides, but that's not a problem since the card is not directly plugged into the motherboard, but pci express risers, rather.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:26 pm

So long as you're using the square mounting holes and not the diagonal pair on the S2, you could obviously mount the cooler perpendicularly as long as you had the space around it. I hope you've planned this well.

Ant6n

Post by Ant6n » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:37 pm

planning? that's crazy talk? ... what do you think i got a dremel for?