Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB and Accelero S1 Rev 2: Will Fit?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davo123

Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB and Accelero S1 Rev 2: Will Fit?

Post by davo123 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:16 pm

(Subject) and also, if they will fit together, will that combo fit inside a Antec NSK2400 case? Right now the card fits inside my case, but due to the immense amount of heat generated when i run things at 1920x1080 :P the computer shuts down from overheating. I suppose it doesn't help that I run the two 120mm fans at the side on the slowest speed. But hey, I like my piece and quiet :lol: .

Basically what I want to do is just swap the cooling on the card with the Accelero and see if it works with the fans on the side running at the slowest speed still, otherwise I'll just have to remember to turn up the fans when i'm gaming on my HTPC.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 am

Judging by the reviews I've seen the mounting holes are exactly same on the HD4890. Accelero S1 rev2 should work just fine, but it's crucial that you leave the red heatspreader plate on to cool the card's VRMs. That + a 120mm fan on the Accelero itself should be an effective cooling solution.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Just curious, but did you try removing one or more slot covers on the back? I have a Gigabyte 9800GTX+ too and in a tower case, it helped a bit to remove the slot cover of the slot on the heatsink side of the video card. It's something worth experimenting with since it costs nothing and you'll be able to tell right away by watching your CPU and GPU temperatures if it's helping to increase airflow enough to lower the temperatures.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm

check the PCI slots first, but no, the Accelero will be around an inch too tall for the top of the case to fit on. unless you want to get creative and pretzel that Accelero like some have done before, but i wouldn't suggest it if you're having heat problems now.

you might even just try taking off the remaining PCI covers and mounting an 80mm or 92mm fan there that blows out some of that hot air.

davo123

Post by davo123 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Good suggestion on removing PCI slot covers, however that case comes with slot covers that have holes in them already so i don't think it'll make any difference. The fan thing I can try, i've got a spare scythe karma 80mm floating round that I can use. I'll try that when i'm at home (at work right now) and reply with the results, while i'm at it i'll try fans at fastest speed and see if that makes a difference.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:01 pm

davo123 wrote:Good suggestion on removing PCI slot covers, however that case comes with slot covers that have holes in them already so i don't think it'll make any difference. The fan thing I can try, i've got a spare scythe karma 80mm floating round that I can use. I'll try that when i'm at home (at work right now) and reply with the results, while i'm at it i'll try fans at fastest speed and see if that makes a difference.
Ah, I didn't realize that was one of the cases with cut-out slot covers. That's a good point about turning the fans on high though; that should tell you how much it will increase the cooling. By the way, exactly what kind of temperatures are you seeing on the CPU and GPU? When I re-read your post, I saw it wasn't exactly clear that you'd determined that video card overheating was the absolute cause.

davo123

Post by davo123 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Ah, well the GPU isn't exactly overheating per-se, rather it causes my CPU to overheat due to the fact that the exhaust flow of air goes straight past my CPU heatsink.
Poor Phenom x4 2.2ghz CPU is getting all of the GPU heat and i'm running it fanless with a Scythe Ninja Mini (Very well I might add, temps for it are usually around 40 degrees celcius without the 9800gtx+ in :P).
I figure if I can either keep the CPU heatsink cooler OR fix the heat problem at the source with an aftermarket cooler.
Since the Accelero won't fit with some modifications as pointed out, I was thinking that maybe Thermaltake's T-RAD2 would be more fitting then?
Until I sort this out i'm using onboard gfx again (which isn't that bad, gf8200)

EDIT:
...hmmm. I think it would seem that the GPU did overheat.... badly. My HTPC doesn't even turn on with the card in the slot, but if i take the card out everything is fine. Ah crap, $292 gone... :cry:
You know somethings wrong when it smells like breakfast inside your computer. Well, since i've f**ked the card, what would be the best GFX card choice for my NSK2400 + M3N78-VM (mATX) motherboard? Clearly heat output was the issue, so the less heat the card makes the better. There's basically a 2 slot clearence from one of the case sides, so if it can vent its heat out through a pci slot cover that would be for the best.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:32 am

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about your loss. In my P180 tower case, my Gigabyte card's heat all goes up, which is of course right into the CPU also. With Folding at Home running on both the CPU and GPU it tops out pretty high; around 68 degrees or so, which caused me to stop running Folding on my CPU. My GPU never went over 80C though, so it stayed in the safe zone.

If you want a similar GPU but with the heat exhausted out the back of the case, then a 9" GTS 250 is the way to go. They come in 3 varieties unfortunately; 9", 9.5" and 10.5". The 10.5" almost certainly won't fit in your case and correct me if I'm wrong, but the 9.5" would probably be an extremely tight squeeze. The only two that are 9" that I know of are the XFX version at $130 and the BFG Tech GTS 250, which for no explainable reason sells for $170 in both 512 and 1024mb versions now, even though it was $140 for the 512mb two weeks ago. If you can fit a 9.5" card, that opens up the eVGA at $130 also.

davo123

Post by davo123 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Hmm XFX GTS 250 512MB i can manage, cost and space, lol, $225 from where I get my stuff from, so not too bad. Is 1GB of ram for the card even necessary? I run my HTPC on a 50" plasma @ 1920x1080 and so I just need to know if 512MB will cut it at that resolution. You're right about 9.5" being a tight squeeze, if i were to get one that size it would take some fancy cable routing to get it to fit. I can get a 1GB Gainward GTS 250 from the same place for $245 which looks something like this: http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php ... 5&pageid=2

I suppose the cooler designs are basically the same so it doesn't matter if i get a XFX or Gainward one, its only $20 more for 1GB so why not I guess.

Hehe, when I get it though i'll rememeber to turn my case fans up max this time and then work my way down :lol:

Do you think I would be able to RMA the card or is that out of the question since I guess I'm the one that cooked it? I've got the original reciept for it, but i haven't got the outside box, just the white box inside the fancy box if you get what i mean.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Oh, durr, I didn't even look at what country you're in. That explains why the 9800GTX+ was so expensive. I just figured you must have gotten it a year ago, I didn't realize it was a different currency. Anyway, if the card is dead it's worth a try to RMA it and see if they'll cover it. They are supposed to have thermal protection built in, so to a certain extent it's not your fault the thermal protection didn't protect it. I'd try RMA'ing if you can, the only downside is some vendors are very slow to get back to you if they are going to cover it under warranty or not.

Oh, and for your question about 1gb, that's only really needed if you're doing stuff with very high AA and lots of large textures. I run X-Plane with very large textures (about 400mb worth of textures) and 16x AA, so rivatuner shows me using as much as 950mb of my 1024mb. However, with 4x AA it drops dramatically to just 650mb, and with the smaller textures I can easily get usage under 512mb. For almost everything else you'd never come close to using over 512mb, so no, chances are you are unlikely to run anything with need for more than 512mb unless you're playing something with tons of very large textures and exceptionally high AA.

davo123

Post by davo123 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:32 am

RMA'd it today, 4 weeks until I hear anything :( .
Would you think that Half-life 2 episode two with fakefacktory's cinematic mod v9 running at 8x AA and 8x AF with everything set to maximum @ 1920x1080 need 1GB? That would be the most stressful thing i could do to the card (in fact, that was what i was doing at the time the card died :P at least I got the WOW factor at the gfx for a while :lol: )

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Generally if it ran fine on a 512mb card, then yeah, you're fine. You'd know it otherwise. From the reviews I've read, once it's really dead on video memory due to too-high AA, you get a non-linear drop, like going from 70-55-40fps to 2fps on each increase of AA. The point when it drops from 40 to 2fps is the point where you've exceeded its ability to store the frame buffer in local memory or something like that. The fact it ran fine before says it does fit in 512mb, so you should be fine there.