nvidia 8600gt, temp increase?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ash

nvidia 8600gt, temp increase?

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 am

guys i hope someone can give me some help.

its been a long time since i last posted on here, havent looked back since i built my system. anyway...i was just cleaning my pc as i had been meaning to do so for a while, and i decided to pull out my graphics card to get the dust out of it.

i have a 8600gt, not the greatest i know but im not a pc gamer so it good enough for me.

i tried to pull off the plastic casing around the heatsink, i wasnt aware that there were scews on the underside of the heatsink so it snapped out of the thread...so i took the whole thing apart to be able to screw it back on and clean it aswell.

cleaned it, applied as5 and put it back, but now temps are higher...

on idle it is the same as before 48-51. under load it never used to go higher than 53 no matter what i was doing, now it shoots up to 63 and would probably keep going if i didnt let the computer idle again.

any ideas what the problem is? i put it all back as it was.

it is the basic stock cooler and fan...i was considering getting a differnt cooler but decided i didnt need it as it was going a good job.

silo

Post by silo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:44 am

problem 1 > " get the dust out of it" wrong. Solution? buy a pc case with good dust filters. clean the filters.

problem 2 > " shit gpu temps" ... a lot of possible reasons, maybe you didn't clean the core / gpu cooler properly, insufficient contact pressure, to much tmi... to little tmi, etc.

1) remove the cooler

2) clean the base of the cooler with alcohol and a soft clean tissue

3) also clean the gpu core with alcohol, and let it dry

4) if the base of the cooler is lapped poorly, rub a tiny minuscule bit of tmi 2 it and spread it to cover the imperfections

5)apply tmi to the gpu, a very small lil drop or "paint it" if you want

6) put the gpu cooler

enjoy

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 am

thanks for the reply.

i dont get a lot of dust in my pc, its just been a while since i did open it up and clean any dust inside the pc, plus, i used this gpu in my previous case before putting it into this system over a year ago.

my case is a p182 btw, i didnt mention it.

as for the temps, i did what you suggested in the first place when i took it apart.

cleaned it the core and the base. and re applied the TIM thats when the temps started increasing, il take it apart again when i get time and have a look.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:49 am

If ever you have an increase in temperature after reapplying a heatsink, take it off and do it again as you may well not have done it properly.

I wouldn't think a fan cooled 8600GT will have much of a fan so a big passive heatsink would be plenty and could make a much quieter system.

Edit: Just a thought, you removed the plastic cover from the heatsink. Did this go back on again? This plastic cover may actually be an important part of the cooler by focusing flow through the fins and taking it off will be bad for cooling. A picture of the card may be useful here.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:17 am

the plastic went back on, 2 of the 4 threads snapped off when i tried to remove it, but it was only on the ends, so i managed to screw 2 in properly and the other 2 are held in as the screw went far enough into the part of the thread that wasnt snapped off.

i re applied it earlier, i cant tell yet if it has made a difference but i will get back to you guys on that.

the fan isnt loud, thats why i stuck with it, i was looking at an accelero s1 rev2 but didnt think i would need it. i may consider it again now.

i wish id lft it as it was now, temps rarely increased over 53.

CroSsFiRE2.0

Post by CroSsFiRE2.0 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:22 pm

I have a XFX 8600GT XXX. Stock heatsink and fan, I get 60C idle and 90C load. Couldn't stand the fan noise so i removed the the plastic casing and fan and left the heatsink on and reapplied OCZ Freeze. Strapped a cheap 120mm CM Blue Fan on it (yes i know its a horrible fan) using zip ties. If it makes you feel any better, my idle temps are 50C and 75C at load with the fan at 12V. At 5V, temps are 70C idle and 105C load. Temps are pretty disgusting at 5V but almost quiet. 12V is passable noise levels. Not sure how the card measures temps but it runs extremely hot compared to my 8800GS whether using stock heatsink or the accelero. I wouldnt worry about it too much if I were you, it's a sturdy card that can deal with a lot of heat