high idle temps 8800gt w/AC S1 Rev.2

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nicalex

high idle temps 8800gt w/AC S1 Rev.2

Post by nicalex » Tue May 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Hello all, first post long time reader,

Before I explain my problem, here is my setup:

q9450@3Ghz w/Thermalright 120 Extreme (w/Noctua NF-S12-1200)
Palit 8800GT 512mb w/Arctic Cooling S1 Rev.2 (Passive)
MSI P7N Diamond
4GB Corsair Dominator @ 750Mhz
2x500GB WD
1x250GB WD
Corsair HX620w w/Noctua NF-S12-1200
Belkin Firewire 800 PCI card
P182

3 intake fans are located in lower HDD bay, Mid bay and upper bay (5.25").
1 outtake fan horizontally inline with CPU cooler. All fans have the ULNA adapter connected.

8800GT is on the first PCIe slot on motherboard.

Now onto my problem...
I have had 2 coolers previously on my 8800GT, these being the stock and then the DuOrb. I was pretty impressed with the cooling power of the DuOrb but due to its whine, it needed to be replaced.

I have since had the Arctic Cooling S1 Rev.2. I was initially amazed at the temps it gave me, I say initially because now i'm getting temps that just seem way too high for idle. I remember the temps being in the mid 30s (Celsius) while idle. Now about 6 months down the line, i'm getting 60C+ while idle....with the case open. :shock:

I have reseated the cooler about a dozen times since temps have started to rise, and I'm getting a bit racked off with it. I'm not prepared to hang a fan off of it, as I'm trying to keep the noise to a minimum.

Are there any suggestions on how to lower these temps? Or is this actually normal?!

Any help greatly appreciated :)

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Wed May 13, 2009 5:23 am

Have you changed your fan config since you first got the S1? I have 2 4830(s) with S1's on them and no fans. According to Xbit Labs, the 8800GT has very similar power consumption with a 4830. I've found that the airflow in the case really makes a difference with passive coolers. For example, with no intakes, putting the stock Tri-Cools (on low) in the rear and top exhausts created negative airflow. So there was lots of air being sucked in, especially around the PCI slots between the cards. The 'suction' of air was able to keep the cards around 50C idle, ~70C load. Not too bad for completely silent operation.

The main point here is that 'passive' does not mean 0 airflow. I don't have any specific suggestions, but try rearranging your airflow so that cool air is coming in from the PCI slots and over the card. It may help. As long as the card gets some airflow, it should be ok.

Hope this helps. :)

nicalex

Post by nicalex » Wed May 13, 2009 8:32 am

Ah thank you muchly angelkiller :)

I have changed the fan config many a time since I installed the S1, the results seemed a little unsatisfactory, but I think my understanding at the time was naïve.

From your suggestion though, I have just rearranged my airflow and I've moved a fan to the vertical outtake, and that's took a whopping 20C off idle temps (the room temp has been lowered quite significantly too!). Mind you, I haven't put on the ULNA adapter on said fan to cut the speed and noise down, so results might not end up as good, but saying that, they should be far more than satisfactory.

I did have some air flowing over the cooler, but I think it was just hanging there.

Just to note, when opening the door of the P182, I actually get higher temps, but only by a couple of degrees.