Looking for a quiet, affordable 24-26 inch monitor

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nilson

Looking for a quiet, affordable 24-26 inch monitor

Post by nilson » Mon May 25, 2009 5:34 am

Hello fellow silencing absessed ones :)

Im looking to upgrade my pc this summer with a HD4870/90 or a GTX275 and gettin a large monitor for the sake of utilizing the extra power fully (my 19inch crt just aint worth such a strong card).

I game a lot on this machine, but also do my programming and essay writing on it so it needs to be quiet especially at lower brightness levels when I work in Jdev or word so I dont get blinded by the large white backrounds while writing.

The pricerange I'm working with is 2000 - 5000 swedish kronor, which is around 200-500 US$ and I have little interest in absolutely perfect colours and more interest in high speed TN panels suitable for gaming.

Below is the list of screens i have looked at and know are available in sweden that I have been researching a bit without getting closer to knowing whether or not they are suitable for my needs. I can go down to 24 inch if none of the big ones are viable, but I would prefer the extra space :P

Samsung 25.5" LCD Syncmaster 2693HM
Samsung 26" LCD Syncmaster T260
LG 26" W2600H-PF TFT

The more populated 24 inch segment:
Samsung 24" LCD Syncmaster 2443BW
Samsung 24" LCD Syncmaster 2494HM (16-9 ratio)
BenQ 24" LCD G2411HD
Eizo 24" LCD FlexScan S2401WSHK Black
Acer 24" LCD X243W
BenQ 24'' G2400WD DVI
BenQ V2400W 24'' Wide TFT Silver/Svart Analog/DVI 2ms (heard lots of good about this bugger, also in mike's silent monitor sticky)
Asus 24" Wide 2ms, HDMI/DVI/VGA, 1920x1080
DELL S2409W 24# WIDE TFT FULL-HD
DELL G2410 24# WIDE TFT TCO-03

If anyone can give me a brief review of any of these I would be very gratefull, thx in advance :)

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Mon May 25, 2009 5:39 am

just confirming that V2400W is silent
near perfect monitor except for TN-film viewing angles

nilson

Post by nilson » Mon May 25, 2009 5:48 am

alecmg wrote:just confirming that V2400W is silent
near perfect monitor except for TN-film viewing angles
Thx for the confirmation :)

How is the pivotability on it? My screen acts secondarily as a means to watch streamed tv shows and the occasional movie from my bed and my guess is the viewing angles from below suck royally. If it can be angled downward a bit (20 -30 degrees or so) so I can watch it without loosing too much detail that would be sweet.

Hezu

Post by Hezu » Mon May 25, 2009 2:17 pm

I use pair of BenQ 24'' G2400WDs (initially paired one with old 19" HP CRT, but surprisingly I started to want another flat screen...). As far as I can tell these don't make any noise and picture quality is fine. The monitor stand is very simple and offers just angle adjustment. Another little downside is the control buttons: although they nicely disguise themselves on the bottom of panel frame, in low light it can be hard to know which button did what. Also one very mildly annoying, odd thing is that when there is no input signal, screen is the usual black when input is via DVI or VGA, but if connected with HDMI the screen is blue. And I have to also mention that I already had to replace one of these (under warranty) since power button died.

Entropy

Re: Looking for a quiet, affordable 24-26 inch monitor

Post by Entropy » Wed May 27, 2009 2:11 am

nilson wrote:Hello fellow silencing absessed ones :)

Im looking to upgrade my pc this summer with a HD4870/90 or a GTX275 and gettin a large monitor for the sake of utilizing the extra power fully (my 19inch crt just aint worth such a strong card).
By changing from the CRT, you will have to accept lower frame rates, and input lag. The last factor is what makes the switch unacceptable to me from a game playing point of view. So investing $800 or so in total could actually end up giving you a worse game play experience, depending on your preferences.

In order to assess ghosting and input lag, there is only one online resource that is reasonably good, and that is this one. Their methodology still underestimates the input lag a bit, but it is as good as it gets. Me, I have a good 24" S-IPS screen. But I don't use it for gaming. That's what the Sony F520 is for.

Aelek

Post by Aelek » Wed May 27, 2009 5:17 am

I suppose you could chekc the big stickied topic way up in the list ;)

Find one with positive remarks and see if its still available.
Monitors tend to have a lifecycle of less then 1,5 years.

400 (eurobucks) is about the minimum you may expect for a good, silent 24".

If your are happy with a TN you should be able to get a decent one for no more then 250.