Wow, I'm a Moron.

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ch0z3n

Wow, I'm a Moron.

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:08 am

So, I decided to install my Accelero Twin Turbo on my 4830 last night. To my horror, the idle GPU temp had gone up from low 50s C to low 60s C. I freaked out a little then thought 'Well, the stock cooler had the fan on 100% all the time.' So, I went and got F@H GPU client and the memory got up to 93C!!! I was panicking a bit at this point, so I put F@H on 50% which was the mid 80s C and went to sleep, hoping that the TIM just needed some time to set (again, read the title).

When I got up this morning I thought about how quiet the computer sounded last night. I expected a substantial reduction in sound, but it was almost dead silent. So, I looked and the fans on the TT weren't running.

I shut the computer down and then quickly realized that the molex connector that they were plugged into wasn't plugged into the power supply. I had no idea why I had a spare cable sitting around the bottom of my case, but whatever. Plugged them into another molex and tried again.

Booted up, still they weren't running; I was getting a bit concerned. Shut it down again and switched from the 7v connector to the 12v connector. Booted up and they worked. A bit loud, but at least they were on. So I shut down again and pulled the 3 pin GPU fan (Why are these not the same as 3 pin fan headers on the mobo?) to 4 pin molex adapter and realized that the ground pin for the 7v end had come out a bit. So, I pushed it back in, hooked it up again and presto change-o, everything works.

The 12v on the TT sounds roughly the same, maybe slightly quieter, than the stock cooling on the MSI 4830. The 7v is a decent bit quieter but I still want to get it to 5v or, more probably, change to a single slower fan, 92mm maybe.

The 7v keeps the GPU and DISPIO (what is this?) under 50C, the MEMIO under 55C, and the SHADERCORE under 52C according to GPU-z. So, I figure I had quiet a bit of room to work with since GPUs can flirt around 100C without a problem.

Anyway, the moral of the story is don't be a moron like me. If you computer sounds really quiet but one of the fan-cooled components is getting hotter than it should, make sure the fan is actually working. 8)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:02 am

This gives a new definition to "epic fail", I like it :D
You do know that you are one lucky bastard now? :mrgreen:

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:31 am

Actually by what you said in the beginning, kind of figured you forgot the TIM. However, it was a much simpler moronic effort :lol:

It's all fun as long as you don't cook whatever you just spent money on :D

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:34 am

I've done the exact same thing, but with worse results. :oops: :lol:

I replaced the stock cooler of my X1950 Pro with a Accellero X2. I forgot to plug in the fan and learned the hard way that an Accellero X2 can't cool a X1950 Pro passively.

Your card still works. It could have been much worse. :D

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 am

Yeah, if it went any higher I would have shut it down, it actually took about 20 minutes or so to get up to 93.

Well, at least now I know that I *can* run my card passive with my CPU cooler blowing hot air into the case instead of out of it; it just isn't a good idea.

Any suggestions for making it quieter? I could always make it run at 5v (hopefully the fans will start at 5v) or stick a 92mm Kama-Flex on there. The fan module just seems to have little clips holding it on.

silo

Post by silo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am

you are not a moron, but your method is kinda flawed ( at least secure your molex with blacktape?)

also, this is a good choice ( with this one > all my s-flex + psu fan)

ah, Accelero? nice. Twin Turbo fans > crap. use some zip ties + 120 fan?
also that temps is awfully high. reset your installation, that cooler is more capable than that. (im doing 34c at 875core 950 mem @ with my shit powerplay not working 9.6 cat )

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 am

The molex wasn't the problem. The problem was the 3pin GPU fan side of the adapter.

You get 34C under load? What fans do you have on it? Adding a 120mm fan would defeat the purpose of getting the twin turbo over the s1 rev 2. The case that I am eventually going to make won't have enough room over the expansion slots.