MSI twinfrozr GTX 275, as quiet as they say?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Resiroth

MSI twinfrozr GTX 275, as quiet as they say?

Post by Resiroth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:49 am

It is unbelievable the number of reviews online that say, "pretty quiet" as if that is supposed to help. Thank god spcr exists.

Since the gtx 275 is only 185 at newegg atm I am considering upgrading from a gtx 260 superclocked. I would be selling my old 4770 to a friend and moving the gtx260 into my second computer. I just have a couple of concerns. I'm not sure how the rest of my system's temps will be impacted by the non-shrouded design. I have a GPU air duct which can assist in pulling air out of the case, would this reduce/eliminate the problem with the hot air circulating? I'm not very concerned about 100% load GPU sound levels but I'd want it to be quite quiet at idle.

I'm about to grab either a Scythe KM02 or ZALMAN MFC1 to control my atcs 840 fans. The 230mm fans are currently the loudest things in my system but I can definitely downvolt them. The rest of my hardware is pretty quiet. Corsair 750TX, scythe S-Flex SFF21E, GPU duct with noctua NF-P12.

So, would the gtx 275 by msi be louder than my GTX260 at 30%? I'm in no rush to upgrade, it just seems like a bargain. If anyone has experience with those fan controllers, that would be interesting as well.

Resiroth

Post by Resiroth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 am

Anyone out there care to give some advice? Thanks.

sonic6k

Re: MSI twinfrozr GTX 275, as quiet as they say?

Post by sonic6k » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 am

Hello good friend, always have patience this forum is full from experts, maybe they make sleep now 8)

However and I am not helpful now, but please read your statement again, I think it be funny of context:
Resiroth wrote:It is unbelievable the number of reviews online that say, "pretty quiet" as if that is supposed to help.[..]The rest of my hardware is pretty quiet.
Maybe my good friend you can answer own question! :lol:

Resiroth

Post by Resiroth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Haha good catch :lol: . Then again it was 2:50 AM when I posted that and I think I may have done a better job than reviewers by listing what I consider to be pretty quiet. I haven't noticed the S-flex above my other fans ( it's at 100% which is apparently 23db ) but all the measurements are crap if they're not from spcr. The 230mm fans are rated at 19db which I think is crap. If they're at 19db how come they're 2x as loud as the scythe?

The problem I have with reviewers is that they say it's pretty quiet if it's under 30+db since their loud case fans cover up the noise. I ordered a scythe kaze server fan controller which should help in identifying problem fans. If no one has experience with the twinfrozr I can wait. Soon 40nm chipsets should be out for nvidia bringing lower temps and lower fanspeeds ( in theory ).

Does anyone think that aftermarket cooling of video cards is insane? With a CPU it's often just bolt on or push pin the cooler onto the CPU and attach a fan. It costs around 40 dollars with fan ( 1283 + scythe ) and doesn't have disadvantages compared to the default.

With graphics cards you have a choice between a couple of 70 dollar coolers that blow hot air all over the place. Their compatibility is not guaranteed, or if it is it's only 65nm not 55nm or only revision 1, not revision 2 PCB models. Then despite you paying 70 dollars for the heatsink they often don't include fans, or heatsinks for the memory! It can easily ramp up to 100+ to cool a midrange 150 dollar gtx260. If you upgrade then the 100 dollars is wasted. Oh, and if it's not EVGA your warranty is gone.

I dream of a future where nvidia sockets are standardized and shrouded coolers are the norm. Speaking of which, why are there ZERO aftermarket coolers with shrouds? graphics cards are almost always the hottest component so it makes sense to exhaust the air out the back.

/rant

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Resiroth wrote: Does anyone think that aftermarket cooling of video cards is insane? (...)
With graphics cards you have a choice between a couple of 70 dollar coolers that blow hot air all over the place. (...)It can easily ramp up to 100+ to cool a midrange 150 dollar gtx260.
Err... What?
The Accelero S1 Rev 2 (with ramsinks iirc) costs $25. A good Slipstream $9. Makes $34.
The Accelero L2 Pro, including fan and ramsinks will retail for about $15-$20 (but might not be enough to cool your 260, though).

$100? What are you buying??

[edit] With regards to shrouds: Probably because shrouds lead to increased turbulence/noise, restrict airflow (requiring stronger/noisier fan), and as long as you have some sort of case air flow, it does not matter a lot?
Last edited by K.Murx on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resiroth

Post by Resiroth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:25 pm

Sorry I'm referring to 4870 and higher for ati and gtx260+ for nvidia. Those cards use things like the hr-03 gtx. I believe thermalright and arctic cooling are the only people that even bother to attempt to cool these things. Accelero won't fit. The only other alternative is a 70 dollar cooler with built in fans, but no sinks. With sinks ( you need a lot for these larger cards ) the total is usually 100 or more. Have to remember tax + shipping. You need 3-4 packs of different heatsinks as the ones that come with the heatsinks don't cover all of the bases and the ones they do cover can get way too toasty. Someone had to upgrade after realizing that some of his chips were 130C+ with stock heatsinks. Replacing with other ones resulted in 100C which is alright. These add 30+ to the total.

The latest generation of cards are very hard to cool so most companies don't even try. thermalright had to go through a couple of revisions just to get the card to be stable!

Yeah sure, shrouds aren't ideal, but an aftermarket shroud setup could be 50 dollars for the whole darn thing. The heatsinks in the stock shrouds are alright, but have a lot of room for improvement. With an 80MM fan you could definitely get low temps without having to worry about buying all these extra heat sinks. They could also try a 3 slot cooler ( most aftermarket solutions are this size anyway ) that had an 80MM fan mounted perpendicular to the card. I can't think of any real negatives since you would avoid most of the issues traditional shrouds have. It should be noted that restricting the path of the air is recommended to create a tunnel for CPU cooling. Should apply here as well.

Even spending 50 dollars is a bit crazy if you plan on upgrading in 18 months since they aren't compatible. IMO you get the most value by upgrading every 18 months for 150 compared to every 3 years with a 300 dollar card.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:21 am

Resiroth wrote:Sorry I'm referring to 4870 and higher for ati and gtx260+ for nvidia. Those cards use things like the hr-03 gtx.
Yes I know, for last gaming build I had hard time of choose between cost and performance and noise. Problem is ATI/NVIDIA, why can not make powerful card with lesser TDP? Reason cooling of high power card is market. THERMALRIGHT make good cooling, but production and labour I believe is much lower than price tag is showing. However they also know of high power gaming the user knows card get hot quickly and for investment protection they pay so much that needed for proper cooling system. That is reason I believe for insanely price.

However even if Accelero fit high power card, without Turbo Module you most likely fry card before power up PC! That is reason because Accelero not design for high power, it cost much less otherwise people not buy! This can sound little like of going backward, however maybe your gaming need is sufficient of CrossFire or SLI? I know not big gain, but two higher end with Accelero pair with CF or SLI and you have great performance, even if cost much money, but with good air circulation you will also have very quiet PC!

What is actually you need, quiet or power? Other cost maybe more than other, depend of your true needs!

Resiroth

Post by Resiroth » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Well I probably should have stuck with a 4770, but it struggled at 1920x1200. The air duct allows it to idle at 30% fan speed which is inaudible. My fan controller came today and now the loudest thing is my hard drives. I'm going to get an SSD some time now that they hit 225 ( intel's 34nm drives ). They're sold out right now but it shouldn't be an issue in a month. Anyone have tips to decrease the noise of a hard drive? It's already rubber mounted so I'm thinking some sort of setting could reduce performance but decrease sound.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:10 am

Resiroth wrote:Well I probably should have stuck with a 4770, but it struggled at 1920x1200. The air duct allows it to idle at 30% fan speed which is inaudible. My fan controller came today and now the loudest thing is my hard drives. I'm going to get an SSD some time now that they hit 225 ( intel's 34nm drives ). They're sold out right now but it shouldn't be an issue in a month. Anyone have tips to decrease the noise of a hard drive? It's already rubber mounted so I'm thinking some sort of setting could reduce performance but decrease sound.
If rubber grommet no working, invest very little of money for suspension similar to NOVIBES. Example have SHARKOON VIBE-FIXER, if available in your area! 7200rpm hard disk almost require, noise of vibration worse than air conditioner and giant mosquito :lol: