Gigabyte GamerHud ; does it really work? (voltage adjust)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

niels007

Gigabyte GamerHud ; does it really work? (voltage adjust)

Post by niels007 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:06 am

Heya,

Does anyone have a Gigabyte card that supposedly allows you to set the voltage? There is confusion on the net.

In my case, using the latest version of GamerHud, I can select a voltage but when applying it defaults back to 0.9V. With the GamerHud version that was supplied with the 3d card, the voltages will stick.. but..
Running 1 or 1.4 volt, there is no difference in temperature yet you'd expect almost 200% power consumption by the chip with this voltage bump.

I've read online that more people have the voltage setting to default after clicking 'apply' using a new version of the utility.

I have however not read about it *actually* changing the voltage, i.e. claims backed up by real power draw measurments or in my case a change in Furmark temperature.

I'm running a 9600GT ' silent pipe' nx96t512hp..

Who has actually measured a power / temp increase when increasing the voltage in GamerHud? Sofar for me it is GamerBull.. :)

cheers
Niels

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 pm

HUD works just fine for me on my 9800GT card. I run my card undervolted (at the minimum 1.05V) and slightly overclocked.

Bear in mind (as mentioned in the help page) you have to disable the auto 2D/3D setting for manual voltage/clock to work. You may also have to reboot once or twice for things to settle down.

niels007

Post by niels007 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:58 am

Indeed a few reboots later it does work. I also discovered Furmark as a good 'stress test' .. The result is that now my card is now pronounced dead..

Always a good excuse to upgrade