5770 recommendation??

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vonbosch

5770 recommendation??

Post by vonbosch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 am

I have decided to get a 5770 for my new rig. Good gaming power plus excellent power consumption plus DX11 support equals win!

Problem is I have heard reports that some cards don't properly clock back at idle. I am going to use aftermarket cooling so this is the only real criteria I have. And reliability. And cheapness if possible. And not MSI after the DIVA LIVE 5.1 fiasco. So, can anyone recommend a good 5770 which *definitely* clocks nice and low at idle?

I am in the UK and will probably be buying from scan.co.uk, these are the cards they seem to be carrying...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=5770

TIA,

Matt

srbliss

Sapphire Vapor-X 5770

Post by srbliss » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm

I just popped one of these into my machine and it works very nice. At 40% fan speed it is no louder than the integrated graphics and my system is pretty quiet (almost silent.)
Steve

srbliss

I tried to load it with 3DMark2006 to see how loud it is

Post by srbliss » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm

But the fan never ramped up! Scored well also my 5870 got 16101 while the 5770 got 14984 - no other changes at all. Ran Furmark and fan stays quiet. So far one of my better PC purchases.
Steve

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 am

Hi Steve, thanks for the info. Does it definitely clock down under low loads?

I probably won't go for the Vapor-X version though. It is more expensive than I need because I was planning on fitting my own cooler, probably a Thermalright HR-03 Rev. A. I have a beast of a case (P193) so was planning on running passively using case airflow (huge side fan blowing on PCIe slot).

Can nobody confirm which reference 5770s properly lower their clocks at low loads?[/b]

srbliss

clocking down

Post by srbliss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:39 am

Sure does. Running at 157Mhz GPU and 300Mhz memory as I type this. This card is very, very quiet - no louder than a Nexus 120mm fan at 7volts. I have not noticed it ramp up while gaming or benchmarking.
Steve[/img]

srbliss

Why not try it out stock

Post by srbliss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:57 pm

I continue to be amazed at just how quiet this card is. I was expecting to HAVE to replace the stock cooler but this thing is great! Totally silent during normal desktop use even while using it in Photoshop. I am very happy with the upgraded stock cooler and see no reason to upgrade and void the warranty of the card.
Steve
BTW I have tinnitus and cannot stand normal PC noise and have been a SPCR fan for many years, one of my co-workers says I have 'bat ears' because I hear all of this 'crap' in the office that irritates me (like his nasty whining hard drive in the next office.)
vonbosch wrote:Hi Steve, thanks for the info. Does it definitely clock down under low loads?

I probably won't go for the Vapor-X version though. It is more expensive than I need because I was planning on fitting my own cooler, probably a Thermalright HR-03 Rev. A. I have a beast of a case (P193) so was planning on running passively using case airflow (huge side fan blowing on PCIe slot).

Can nobody confirm which reference 5770s properly lower their clocks at low loads?[/b]

kvik

Re: Why not try it out stock

Post by kvik » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:53 pm

srbliss wrote:I continue to be amazed at just how quiet this card is. I was expecting to HAVE to replace the stock cooler but this thing is great! Totally silent during normal desktop use even while using it in Photoshop. I am very happy with the upgraded stock cooler and see no reason to upgrade and void the warranty of the card.
Steve
BTW I have tinnitus and cannot stand normal PC noise and have been a SPCR fan for many years, one of my co-workers says I have 'bat ears' because I hear all of this 'crap' in the office that irritates me (like his nasty whining hard drive in the next office.)
If that is really the case, you should seriously consider getting your ears cleaned. :-)
I have listened to 4 different 5770's, and they have all been annoying, even after turning down the fan on them.

srbliss

Not a reference cooler

Post by srbliss » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:18 am

Remember this card has a much larger fan than the reference design. I briefly tried a reference 5870 and it was annoying and had to go. It also helps that I have a fully dampened case, but the card really is no louder at idle than my 120mm Nexus case fan at 7 volts.
Steve

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 am

all 5770 are loud if reference or the new egg cooler. reference is worse which is what i have. I am ganking it and WC'ing it this weekend though :P

I think vapx is the only quieter solution

soulie

Post by soulie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 am

;o what i read here so far is.

vapor > egg-cooler > reference ?

What about asus Cucore thingy?

srbliss

Post by srbliss » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:03 am

Forgot to mention that I have the vapor-x version.

micksh

Post by micksh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Check today's MSI Hawk review and compare with Vapor-X. MSI is quieter at idle (24.8 vs 25.8 dbA) and much quieter at load.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/ ... WK/29.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapp ... -X/29.html

Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:32 pm

I guess it is going to come down to price of the MSI though. 3-4db is nice improvement, but it still needs to be priced right.

Fayd

Re: Sapphire Vapor-X 5770

Post by Fayd » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 pm

srbliss wrote:I just popped one of these into my machine and it works very nice. At 40% fan speed it is no louder than the integrated graphics and my system is pretty quiet (almost silent.)
Steve

funny... my system is nowhere near silent, and at 40% it was the loudest component in my system.

I couldnt stand the noise of the stock cooler. i bought an accelero L2, installed that, and it's much better.

btw, "it never ramped up", i dont believe it.

hophophop
Friend of SPCR

Post by hophophop » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:26 am

I have the sapphire 5770 v2 and it underclocks the right way when idling.

One thing I don't understand is why people don't use a bigger and better fan instead of the stock one. I don't talk about using a new radiator/fan combo but just about getting rid of the 80mm fan and having a good 120mm instead. It can only bring improvements over the small basic fan.
I did that, with a 800 rpm slipstream and it's working well.

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 am

Update.

So I went with a sapphire one on a deal from overclockers.co.uk. It wasn't the v2 egg cooler (which I thought I was going to get) or the original shroud but sort of a hybrid, shrouded thing which I can't see on their webpage. I can post pics of this card next time I open the case if folks want. It underclocks as it should.

At 40% it is definitely the loudest thing in my system. The situation is better at 20% but it still noisy and I will replace it. It is probably 'normal person quiet' but nor 'spcr quiet'.

It is true that it hardly ramps up, I tested it under furmark for 10 minutes and it got to 53% fanspeed at 82 deg C. But my case is a P193, I wasn't running any of the case fan but I still have a lot of air. I hope that I can get these sort of temps with a passive HR-03 and some gentle case fans.

srbliss

Re: Sapphire Vapor-X 5770

Post by srbliss » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Fayd wrote: btw, "it never ramped up", i dont believe it.
You can believe what you want but for my use the fan stays at idle even while playing the one game I play. Granted GPL is not very demanding on the GPU.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:55 am

That hawk one looks mighty fine.

I would have bought that one for sure. Hm.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:52 am

soulie wrote:What about asus Cucore thingy?
I bought one of those, the EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 model to be precise. Manufacturer page: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=2 ... templete=2

I am not happy with the cooling.

In 3D games and heavy use the system fans easily drown out the GPU cooler, but in 2D and idle the fan is needlessly loud (30% @ 39'C). The fan also has poor noise characteristics: the fan noise jars like most older ball-bearing fans, and from a cold start it sort of weaves back and forth between a low and high-pitched drone. This is not a borderline case, but very clear-cut: not SPCR quality, not good enough for any silent rigs at all.

This might be rectified by reduced RPM I reckon. The problem is the same my old Zalman coolers had at certain RPM, and those could be fixed by fine-tuning with the provided FanMate. Got rid of both the volume and noise characteristic issues. The real kicker, though, is that the Catalyst Control Center (or CCC) can't be used to adjust the fan - at least I can't do it with the most recent iteration at my disposal (10.1).

To sum the card up:

+ Compact, easy to install
+ Very power-efficient, switches MHz between 2D/3D properly, only needs 1xPCI-E power lead
+ Nice warranty (36 months)
+ Decent performance (TF2 brilliant, CoH brilliant, L4D2 took some reduced settings to run sharp)

- Noisy 2D
- Non-adjustable cooling is a letdown for the price (170 euros)

Before you chime in about the price tag, I had to buy quick because my 8800 GTS 512 died - first it would do emergency shutdowns in games, now it won't put out a signal at all. If anyone has an idea what's wrong, feel free to PM me, but I've already filed a ticket with EVGA.

Edit: I installed Asus SmartDoctor for a laugh. Turns out it has fan control settings, and just like Asus FanXpert (for mobos), they are utterly useless. They don't go low enough, though this time you actually COULD determine the appropriate temperature levels for different speeds. Back to the drawing board Asus, take a lesson from µGuru while you're at it...

Oh, and Asus thinks "slow" is 44%. There is no foreseeable future for silence in here.

Edit2: MSI Afterburner can control the fan, but will only go as low as 25%. Not good enough.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:38 am

Update: I was doing some temperature testing with a flashed BIOS (the BIOS won't flas properly for fan speeds, by the way) and noticed that my card has coil whine. It's not very high-pitched, so the cooling drowned it out at first, but with ATITool it came through clear as day.

Based on my sample, do not buy this card. It is incompatible with ATI software and RBE and inherently faulty from a silencing perspective.

mczak

Post by mczak » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:37 pm

btw ht4u also reviewed the hawk one and very much liked the noise levels.
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2010/msi_radeon ... ndex11.php
I don't know if the cooler is really any better than the vapor-x or some other custom cooling designs, but obviously the bios has been tuned for silence rather than low temperature (it's quieter but also runs hotter than the vapor-x).

sakraycore

Post by sakraycore » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:29 pm

delete this

sputnik-1

Post by sputnik-1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:14 pm

I did as hophophop suggested and replaced the stock fan of HIS 5770 (the H577FL1GD one already mentioned in another thread) with a Nanoxia FX-1250 120mm fan I had lying around (a leftover from my attempt to silence my previous build).

I removed the plastic shroud and the stock fan and strapped the Nanoxia fan to the heat pipes of the sink. The good thing is that I didn't have to remove the stock cooler, so it didn't void the warranty - I can just reattach the stock fan and the shroud in case something goes wrong. The 120mm fan is also large enough to cool a larger area of the card in addition to the heat sink.

The GPU temperature stays at 35 degrees Centigrade when idling (clocks at 157/300, 0.95V) with the fan working at 35 percent speed (the fan is attached to the two-pin connector of the graphics adapter, so I don't know the exact speed in RPM). At full load the temperature rises to 65 degrees maximum with the fan at 75 percent speed.

With temperatures like that the fan speed could be lowered further, but even as such, the fan cannot be heard over the other fans I have in the system (Antec Sonata case with another Nanoxia strapped to the stock cooler of a Phenom II 955BE, a Nexus Real Silent Basic exhaust fan at 900 RPM, and the stock fan of Nexus NX-8040 PSU).

In conclusion, the solution is cheap (especially compared to replacing the whole cooler with Acceleros or such) and able to keep the card cool while being quiet enough. In addition it is really easy to implement without voiding the warranty.

Thanks to hophophop for the tip - even though I would have probably done the replacement anyway (inspired by my success with replacing the Phenom stock fan, another cheap and cheerful operation), as the stock fan of the HIS card really is horrific.