2 pin 80mm silent fan

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hatbrox

2 pin 80mm silent fan

Post by hatbrox » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi,

I'm having problem finding a 2 pin 80mm fan! They're all 3 pin or it's not indicated in the specs.

I want replace the fans in my HDD cages.
The hard disk runs quite cool (data storage) even with the fan turned off but I still want to change the stock fans which run very loudly.

I'm looking at about 1000rpm fans with less than 10db if possible, 15db max.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't think I've come across an 80mm fan that uses 2-pin natively. Why not get a 3-pin fan and just use one of those 2-pin -> 3-pin adapters?

Cryoburner

Re: 2 pin 80mm silent fan

Post by Cryoburner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:35 pm

hatbrox wrote:I still want to change the stock fans which run very loudly.
Have you tried undervolting the existing fans? If they're currently running at a higher voltage, removing the pin connector and wiring them up to the 5v line of a Molex connector could make them much quieter.

I assume they're currently connected to a motherboard header? You might see if your BIOS offers any options for lowering the voltage to that header as well.

hatbrox

Post by hatbrox » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:44 am

unfortunately, there is very very little space in the HDD cage and an adapter will not fit.

the 2pin male on the HDD case side cannot be (re)moved. wiring directly against the the 2 pin seems impossible to me.

Actually, I also wanted to change the fan inside the power supply and also realized that it uses a 2-pin 80mm fan.

I'm still surprised one cannot fnd them.

Do you think I can buy a stand-alone 2-pin connector that I could use to wire the fan cables?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:53 am

I would just take any non-PWM fan, 2pin or 3pin. Cut the connector from the original fan, solder it to the new one, ignoring the third RPM-cable if it's a 3pin fan.

Or you could take a normal 3pin fan and connect it some other way, unless it's important that the HDD case powers it.

hatbrox

Post by hatbrox » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Vicotnik wrote:I would just take any non-PWM fan, 2pin or 3pin. Cut the connector from the original fan, solder it to the new one, ignoring the third RPM-cable if it's a 3pin fan.

Or you could take a normal 3pin fan and connect it some other way, unless it's important that the HDD case powers it.
you're right, I should go that route, I'll probably throw away the stock fans anyway.

however it is important that the HDD case powers the fan, I can't use a molex here since the fans are in the front of the cage (e.g. outside the computer case), but since the stock fans are also powered by the 2 pin connector, this shouldn't be a problem, right? :)

hatbrox

Post by hatbrox » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:24 pm

problem solved, I cut the cable and soldered the 2-pin adaptor.