Zalman VF3000A cooler (now with pics!)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tenoq

Zalman VF3000A cooler (now with pics!)

Post by Tenoq » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd give you a quick run-down on the VF3000A I recently installed on my 4870.

First things first: the 4870 is NOT on the compatibility list for the VF3000A - but it works just fine. The only thing you can't install is the VRM heatsink, which is designed for the 5870/50 only. Fortunately I had some left over copper ramsinks (fairly heavy duty ones) that I could use for the 4870 VRMs.

Otherwise the cooler is not too hard to install - although it is a bit harder than it needs to be (compared to say the MCW60). Clearance is fine on the card itself, and it only just extends past the top and end of the 4870 (which was a key factor for me, as I had very little clearance above the card). It does block 3 slots in total, and for quiet PC enthusiasts you would need to be pretty careful about using the 4th slot as I imagine a large card might limit intake airflow for the VF3000A fans.

Performance-wise the VF3000A is excellent even at its lowest fan speed setting. Running Furmark I didn't get above 50 degrees (C) on the core, and RAM temps were around the same. For some reason my 4870 doesn't have a VRM sensor... but no crashes, so I assume they're within range!

Noise-wise the VF3000A is not what we would call inaudible. At the lowest fan speed it would be considered quiet - but definitely not inaudible. My environment has very low ambient noise so I can just hear the fans from about 2 metres away in open air. I haven't actually put the case back together, but I would say I can probably safely use the case sitting on the desk next to me.

Wind up the fans though and the VF3000A sounds like a jet is taking off. It is excessively loud - I'd say nearly as loud as the stock 4870 fan at full speed. There is no way you could use full speed without earplugs/headphones/hearing impairment! Thankfully the cooler performs so well the lowest fan speed is fine. The fans themselves aren't of great quality IMO, and I think better fans would make this cooler a lot quieter than it currently is.

Modification potential -
I'd say the Zalman has room for improvement in the following areas:
  • You could cut the stupid overhanging bling over the fans
    It might be worthwhile removing the shroud altogether
    The fans could be slower still - I might try dropping the voltage further with a different fan controller (using the Zalman fanmate that was included at the moment)
    You could also remove the fans completely and use some silent ones
Some pics:
Modded ramsinks for VRM cooling.

RAMsinks installed, and underside of cooler.

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Tenoq on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks for your feedback! I'm considering it to replace my 5850's stock cooler and was surprised about the lack of interest regarding this cooler :lol:

For cooling the VRM couldn't you just use the stock cooling plate? Or is it not compatible with this cooler?

If you decide to do any of those improvements keep us posted!

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:17 pm

rpsgc wrote:Thanks for your feedback! I'm considering it to replace my 5850's stock cooler and was surprised about the lack of interest regarding this cooler :lol:

For cooling the VRM couldn't you just use the stock cooling plate? Or is it not compatible with this cooler?

If you decide to do any of those improvements keep us posted!
Yeah, I struggled to find any decent reviews so I just bit the bullet and gave it a go. Many of the coolers recommended here aren't available locally, so this was really my best option!

My 4870 is a non-reference card, so instead of a cooling plate over the card it has a good-sized heatsink dedicated to the VRM. Unfortunately the VRM heatsink was way, WAY too big to fit under the Zalman cooler, so ramsinks were the answer.

The card is a bit tricky to get in and out of my mATX case, but I might give it a mod or two soon. I'll have to suss out if the noise is too annoying. :)

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:12 am

If height clearance is not a factor, nothing can really get close to the venerable Arctic S1 with a good fan on it. And I can't see a reason to choose this overpriced Zalman thingy over a TwinTurbo Pro, if you ask me... :?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:43 am

Parappaman wrote:And I can't see a reason to choose this overpriced Zalman thingy over a TwinTurbo Pro, if you ask me... :?

The Twin Turbo is not compatible with the 5850. How's that for a reason? :roll:

And how can one thing be overpriced if it performs better than most for the same/less price? Regardless, 40 € is hardly overpriced. You want to know what's overpriced? Prolimatech and Thermalright VGA coolers. The former doesn't even include fans and the latter needs VRM cooling (+ 20 €).

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Parappaman wrote:If height clearance is not a factor, nothing can really get close to the venerable Arctic S1 with a good fan on it. And I can't see a reason to choose this overpriced Zalman thingy over a TwinTurbo Pro, if you ask me... :?
Twin Turbo Pro was only $10 cheaper here... and as suggested, does not support the 5850 and does not adequately cool the 5870. Unfortunately height clearance was a BIG factor for me, otherwise I would have gone with a massive cooler like the S1 (or even the Spitfire).

Have a look here:

You can see the crappy overhanging bits in front of the fans - form over function for Zalman! :P I think some tin-snips will fix that up quite easily though.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Tenoq wrote:You can see the crappy overhanging bits in front of the fans - form over function for Zalman! :P I think some tin-snips will fix that up quite easily though.
You could just remove the shroud entirely :P

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:34 pm

rpsgc wrote:
Tenoq wrote:You can see the crappy overhanging bits in front of the fans - form over function for Zalman! :P I think some tin-snips will fix that up quite easily though.
You could just remove the shroud entirely :P
Considering it. I suppose I need to do some back-to-back testing to see if the shroud helps the cooling at all. It might actually be serving as a way of ducting the airflow onto the fins - so removing it might push temps up a bit. Guess I don't know until I try!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Re: Zalman VF3000A cooler (now with pics!)

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:40 am

Tenoq wrote:Noise-wise the VF3000A is not what we would call inaudible. At the lowest fan speed it would be considered quiet - but definitely not inaudible. My environment has very low ambient noise so I can just hear the fans from about 2 metres away in open air. I haven't actually put the case back together, but I would say I can probably safely use the case sitting on the desk next to me.
How does it sound inside the case? Not as audible I hope.

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:49 pm

rpsgc wrote:How does it sound inside the case? Not as audible I hope.
Sound volume is definitely attenuated significantly inside the case, though it is worth noting on the lowest fan speed while gaming temps are significantly higher (55-60 degrees C). Still not in danger zone by any means.

I can use the PC fairly comfortably with it about 50-60cm from my head. I can definitely hear it, but it's not irritating and is reasonably quiet. The HDD could use some silencing, and as mentioned before, I could potentially drop the speed of the Zalman fans a little further. When gaming the fan speeds on the CPU maxes out thanks to the BIOS (1100RPM roughly, it's an S-Flex Scythe) and is quite loud. It is necessary though, as the CPU does heat up quite a bit (as you'd expect for a 3.8Ghz 6-core). This makes the noise of the Zalman on its lowest setting vanish!

Unfortunately I don't think I can replace the Zalman fans, because I've installed a sound card in the final PCI slot (which would preclude the use of that slot for a bigger fan). It definitely warrants more experimentation, but I don't have the time right now. Might give it a crack on the weekend.

The Da Box hasn't been designed with silence in mind - it's definitely a gamer's rig. But I'm quite happy with the results anyway, because it is a bit quieter than my previous setup while being much faster and more portable!

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Update:

Removed the shroud. Slight drop in noise level, but not huge. It is probably the removal of the little red tabs over the fan that has made the biggest change in noise. Temps are about the same, so nothing gained/lost there. The card does take up a bit less room though, and looks a lot less gaudy!

With the shroud off it's easy to see you could definitely improve the cooling by strapping on a pair of 92x25mm fans or a single 120mm - but it would then make the card+cooler cover four PCI/PCIE slots instead of three.

I forgot to take pics! Will post them next time I open the case.

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:07 am

rpsgc wrote:
Parappaman wrote:And I can't see a reason to choose this overpriced Zalman thingy over a TwinTurbo Pro, if you ask me... :?

And how can one thing be overpriced if it performs better than most for the same/less price? Regardless, 40 € is hardly overpriced. You want to know what's overpriced? Prolimatech and Thermalright VGA coolers. The former doesn't even include fans and the latter needs VRM cooling (+ 20 €).
The hassle of cutting a few fins in the low left corner of the TwinTurbo is so worth it if compared to the noise and cost of the Zalman. And I've never mentioned Thermalright and Prolimatech with their insanely expensive heavy radiators, they simply don't exist as far as I'm concerned, trumped by the Accelero Xtreme in its various forms. Yeah, I'm an Arctic fan (pun intended). :P

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:42 am

Parappaman wrote:
rpsgc wrote:

The hassle of cutting a few fins in the low left corner of the TwinTurbo is so worth it if compared to the noise and cost of the Zalman. And I've never mentioned Thermalright and Prolimatech with their insanely expensive heavy radiators, they simply don't exist as far as I'm concerned, trumped by the Accelero Xtreme in its various forms. Yeah, I'm an Arctic fan (pun intended). :P
TwinTurbo is the same price here - so that kinda rules out that advantage. It's also not as effective at cooling as the Zalman (particularly on the newer 5xxx series). Horses for courses I suppose. I looked at the TwinTurbo but ruled it out based on its very poor performance on 5xxx cards.

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 pm

If you can find them at the same price, things change. Here where I live, you can get a TwinTurbo Pro for as low as 24 €, while the Zalman isn't cheaper than 45 €...

Anyway, I'm still not sure where you heard about its subpar performance on the 5000 series :shock:

Blitos

Post by Blitos » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Hello,
I've been looking for something like this since I bought a 5850. Normally the fan is at 15%, but even then the video card is the most audible component ATM. It's low tone, and it's not so bad, but at night it can get on my nerves.

Everywhere I read that it is "practically" silent, but you say that it is not. So, is it at least more quiet or easier on the ear than the stock 5850 HSF?

Thanks

Tenoq

Post by Tenoq » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:00 am

Much belated reply but...

On its lowest setting it is probably marginally quieter than the 5850 @ 15% (don't own one, but assume it is comparable to the 6950), but more noticeably the fans have a nicer sound. As the speed ramps up it is much less annoying than the 6950 blower, and nowhere NEAR as loud.

I'm wondering if the fans are removable/replaceable - but doesn't look like they're easy to get off.