Quiet monitor

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

armornone

Quiet monitor

Post by armornone » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:27 am

What recommendations do you have for a quiet monitor or do you know what monitors to avoid?

I think the really old ones I had might have made a noise but do the LCD ones make noise?

Thanks.

flapane

Post by flapane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:31 am

Do you mean those lcd producing a whining noise?
I think it's mostly a laptop issue (See all those Macbooks a couple of years ago) and a very few desktop monitors (there's a HP PVA-panel lcd with whining problems).

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 am

Manu lcd displays make noise when their backlight is not at maximum brightness. It is caused by the backlight power circuit. However it's not loud and there are silent models too. I don't know if this applies to led-backlit lcds at all?

It is certainly not limited to laptops! But as I said, it is not very loud, will be hard to notice if the computer is not silent or there is some other background noise.

Luke M

Post by Luke M » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am

lm wrote:Manu lcd displays make noise when their backlight is not at maximum brightness. It is caused by the backlight power circuit. However it's not loud and there are silent models too. I don't know if this applies to led-backlit lcds at all?

It is certainly not limited to laptops! But as I said, it is not very loud, will be hard to notice if the computer is not silent or there is some other background noise.
My Samsung LCD is louder than my PC (which is not silent). The noise goes away at full brightness, but then my eyes hurt instead of my ears.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:17 am

I can agree that 100% brightness is way too bright. In fact mine is set at minimum brightness.

And if anyone tries to suggest to set display brightness to max and then modify gpu brightness settings instead, that only makes the perceived contrast worse and is no solution at all...

paultrotter50

Re: Quiet monitor

Post by paultrotter50 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:20 am

I have an Iiyama Pro Lite PL 2201 monitor that is nice and quiet, but when the monitor goes on standby it produces a very high whining noise. I hate this noise and so always need to turn the monitor off by hand when putting the computer to sleep if I'm planning on staying in the room. It is better for the environment that I turn the monitor off by hand, but I'd far prefer a quiet monitor.

Does anyone else's monitor whine on standby? Are there ones that don't?

I'd love to hear about your monitor :)
Last edited by paultrotter50 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:53 am

I've a well u2311h here.

Works good. Stock settings, no hum. Turning down brightness, no hum.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:10 am

Agreed. Dell monitors (particularly the UltraSharp series) are very quiet, I have never heard any whine from any of them. And I've had at least 5 different models.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:21 am

There's a whole forum thread on this subject. See : viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50879
Basically lots of monitors seem to whine when brightness is turned down. Samsungs seem to be the worst (I had 3 unfortunately).
LED monitors however don't seem to be so bad. BenQ seem to be well thought of and I might get one of these to replace my Samsung. (Model BL2201PT or BL2400PT)

Quest

Post by Quest » Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Techno Pride wrote:I've a well u2311h here.

Works good. Stock settings, no hum. Turning down brightness, no hum.
sigh i just experienced this with a U2311.. can hear the hum/whine once i went to a fanless PC.
my brightness is at the lowest.

would be great if others chime in on this..

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri May 06, 2011 6:32 am

Quest wrote:sigh i just experienced this with a U2311.. can hear the hum/whine once i went to a fanless PC.
my brightness is at the lowest.

would be great if others chime in on this..
Seems to be variance between different monitors of the same model. My U2311 is quiet, so was the U2711 I used briefly before that. This is discussed in few threads on the forum. The situation seems a little better than before, but it's still pretty much hit or miss when getting a new monitor.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Fri May 06, 2011 7:22 am

Possibly an argument for brick & mortar purchases (if you assume RMA/shipping costs for a reasonable fraction of purchases)? What is the brick & mortar markup vs the internet on most monitors?

I wonder how a brick & mortar shop would feel about you exchanging a monitor four times for noise.

jrocks84

Post by jrocks84 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm

My first U2211H was loud, but they sent me a replacement which is quiet. Unfortunately it's all the luck of the draw.