VGA 4-pin PWM to CPU 4-pin PWM cable

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tima

VGA 4-pin PWM to CPU 4-pin PWM cable

Post by tima » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:17 pm

I'd like to insert a Zalman PWM Mate between my video card fan and the card. I'd add the Zalman to the back of my case, where my two Fan Mates would keep it company. I'd like to try slowing the fan down and also greatly value the ability to unplug the fan from the Zalman and thus use it as a temporary kill switch, which is really handy when trying to determine the source of noise. But, I take it the PWM Mate uses CPU-style connectors, so I'd need a couple of adapter cables, one to connect the fan to the PWM Mate cable, and the other to connect the PWM Mate cable to the video card. Anyone know where I can get these? Or does Zalman make a proper cable to use the PWM Mate with video cards?

tim851

Post by tim851 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:05 am

tima

Post by tima » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks, didn't think to check eBay. The seller's in Hong Kong. Anyone know if there are customs issues or other nonsense like that? Also, I think I will need two cables:

1. male(large)-to-female(small) to connect mate to card
2. female(large)-to-male(small) to connect mate to fan

The eBay cable appears to be (1) only. With all the noisy video cards out there, surely someone makes a kit for this?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:09 am

If i knew where to buy the connectors, I would just make my own. but I dont at all. I have this issue as well, nice find!

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:33 am

Hi, you can often use software to override the video card's fan speed.
Certainly Nvidia's system monitor software can over-ride the BIOS fan speed on my GTX260.

I'm also using after-market cooling on it and further after-market fans and the cooler! The fans are PWM and just "jammed" on to the original fan header, once the original plastic surround from the pins was removed.

Best pic of it.
Full Akasa Freedon Force + GTX260 thread.

You might find this will work on your card too, might like a little glue / tape / blutac etc to be sure fan plug stays in place.
I think you may get away with the other way round too, that is small 4pin plug jammed on to the 4 large pins in PWM mate. (some pin bending will be required)

Regards, Seb

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:If i knew where to buy the connectors, I would just make my own. but I dont at all. I have this issue as well, nice find!
[EDIT]
Here's a lot of parts info:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=230655