I'm Upgrading: Overwhelmed By Graphics Choices - Need help

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

whispercat

I'm Upgrading: Overwhelmed By Graphics Choices - Need help

Post by whispercat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 am

I'm on an Asus P5Q-EM uATX board with Intel Integrated Graphics. There is only one fan (CPU) in my HTPC case, so I'd like to go passive if possible. I'm looking to add a 30" monitor (2560 X 1600), but my graphics doesn't support it. I'm looking around and researching and becoming overwhelmed with what's out there.

I don't do any gaming. All my needs are 2 D. I do photo editing and watch movies. I'd like to have the option of DisplayPort. So I'm pretty sure I just need something basic, maybe even an older card. Reading the SPCR reviews has helped. There is a sticky list of passive cards, and some article reviews, but I was suprised to see there seems to be no SPCR recommended list? The ATI 4670 had great idle power consumption (3w), but the fan was noisy at load. Other cards reviewed that were passive had scary thermals.

At this point I'm not even sure of what general engine to go with: ATI, Nvidia or something else. And reading through the vendor website descriptions doesn't usually reveal what the power consumption is.

I want to find a card that runs very cool, passive, supports high resolution and has DisplayPort. (and no history of problems).

Appreciate any feedback.

tim851

Re: I'm Upgrading: Overwhelmed By Graphics Choices - Need he

Post by tim851 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Wanting both passive and Displayport leaves you with few options:

- Sapphire Radeon HD 5450
- Zotac GeForce GT 430

Both cards are also available with active cooling and/or without Displayport, so beware. The availability of the passive/DP versions in North America is underwhelming. The Sapphire would be the ideal card for you, as it is dead cheap.

- Powercolor Radeon HD 5750

This card is much more expensive and it is total overkill for you. But it is more readily available. Temps should be no problem if you never do anything 3D.

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Here's a list, pick one with the outputs you need.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks, that gives me a great start.

I love this site. :)

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Mats wrote:Here's a list, pick one with the outputs you need.
That's kind of a small list though. Newegg surprisingly doesn't offer many options for DisplayPort on fanless cards. A 5750 is probably overkill for someone who doesn't do any 3D gaming, so that just leaves the one 4350 there. DisplayPort seems to currently be a feature found on mostly higher end cards. If your monitor can use a Dual-Link DVI connection, and if you're willing to pass on the DisplayPort connection for now, that opens up a much wider selection of fanless cards, many costing notably less than those with DisplayPort.

If you do really want a card with DisplayPort though, I did find another fanless card, the Powercolor Go! Green AX5450 512MD2-SD. Here's a seller that has it in stock. They appear to be located in the US, but it sounds like they should ship to Canada, though I don't know what the shipping and taxes involved might be. There are reviews for the card at Newegg, though it's apparently been discontinued there. It might be easier to just go with the other card Newegg has if you decide to go the DisplayPort route.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Cryoburner wrote:
Mats wrote:Here's a list, pick one with the outputs you need.
That's kind of a small list though. Newegg surprisingly doesn't offer many options for DisplayPort on fanless cards. A 5750 is probably overkill for someone who doesn't do any 3D gaming, so that just leaves the one 4350 there.
Sooo, any reason not to get the 4350? :?

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Eh, I guess it might be a fine enough card. My point was more that there isn't much selection for fanless cards with DisplayPort, and that particular card has just one user review, which isn't exactly a very good sample size. If the monitor in question supports dual-link DVI as well, and you're willing to skip the DisplayPort connection for now, you could pay $20+ less, and be able to choose a similarly capable card from a wider selection. Over the next year or so we'll probably start seeing more lower-power cards with DisplayPort, but there aren't many available now.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:07 am

I did say I would like to have the option of Displayport, meaning I don't consider it crucial. It's more of a hedge on the future since, as I understand it, Displayport will be the main connectivity choice for monitors in the near future. But that could be a mistaken view. Perhaps I don't know enough about it yet.

What are the benefits of DisplayPort?

The review on that 4350 mentioned his Aero score went down when he installed it. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, albeit I'm more interested in thermals, acoustics and power consumption anyway.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:42 pm

whispercat wrote:The review on that 4350 mentioned his Aero score went down when he installed it. Not exactly a ringing endorsement
Rest assured that the 4350 will easily increase the score of the integrated Intel Graphics.

The advantage of DP over DVI, for the consumer, is mostly a smaller plug and thinner cable. The only monitor I know of that is exclusively DP is the new Apple Cinema Display. I'd reckon it will be years until other vendors forego DVI. And you're about to buy a $1500 30-incher. That should last you a while.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:04 am

tim851 wrote:
whispercat wrote:The review on that 4350 mentioned his Aero score went down when he installed it. Not exactly a ringing endorsement
Rest assured that the 4350 will easily increase the score of the integrated Intel Graphics.

The advantage of DP over DVI, for the consumer, is mostly a smaller plug and thinner cable. The only monitor I know of that is exclusively DP is the new Apple Cinema Display. I'd reckon it will be years until other vendors forego DVI. And you're about to buy a $1500 30-incher. That should last you a while.
Thanks. Is the DisplayPort signal any better than DVI? I know in most cases moving from VGA to DVI improves the visual quality.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Image quality is identical, both transmit uncompressed digital information.