Interested in suggestions for low power 3 monitor card

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quicksilver

Interested in suggestions for low power 3 monitor card

Post by quicksilver » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:37 pm

I have a fanless 1GB 4670 driving a pair of Dell G2410H monitors. I really want 3, the two seems unbalanced. I'd like to keep power low. I'm idling around 100watts with both 24" monitors , a Xeon L3426, an Intel SSD, and the mentioned 4670. I've seen a quad port 4670 but it was really expensive. The 5670 looks interesting. Anybody have suggestions for how to drive 3 monitors? I'd like to have fair game performance, but low idle power is my highest priority since the machine is on 16 hours a day.

Any info greatly appreciated!

boost

Re: Interested in suggestions for low power 3 monitor card

Post by boost » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:58 am

HT4U's power readings for multiple monitors may help.
I don't know what "decent gaming performance" means to you. The PowerColor Radeon HD 5750 Go! Green is a particular favourite here for it's very low noise, since it's passive, and low power draw with ok performance. To add a third monitor you need a DisplayPort -> Single Link DVI cable for ~30$.
Cards with more DVI ports do exits, but they are very expensive. Some Matrox graphic cards can drive multiple monitors but you can forget about gaming with one of these.
For high frame rates at high settings across mutiple monitors you would need the fastest graphic card one the market, GTX 580 or some such model, but the power and noise of these cards is very high.

alleycat

Re: Interested in suggestions for low power 3 monitor card

Post by alleycat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:12 am

I just built a system for a friend who wants a 3 monitor setup. After a lot of reading I ended up getting a 5770 silent cell. The passive cooling works very well, and the card supports Eyefinity. However the one drawback with most of these cards is that you will need to have a Display Port input on one of the monitors. The other solution is to get 2 (cheaper) cards and run 2 monitors off one card and a monitor off the other. That way you can use all DVI/analog monitor inputs.