ces

AMD "Llano" to have 3X Graphics Performance of "Sandy Bridge

Post by ces » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:09 pm

AMD "Llano" to have 3X Graphics Performance of "Sandy Bridge"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/disp ... ridge.html

mczak

Re: AMD "Llano" to have 3X Graphics Performance of "Sandy Br

Post by mczak » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:38 am

3x the performance of HD2000. Which would make it more like 2x that of HD3000. Though the comparison to HD2000 seems fair at least on the desktop, since intel only ships HD3000 with the high-end models (at least for the quad-core models, intel could easily ship the faster version if they wanted as all quad-core cpus just have half the EUs disabled). For mobile though, comparison to HD3000 would be more appropriate.
That said, 3x faster in vantage might translate to more than that in at least some apps - traditionally intel did quite well in vantage, though newer drivers could have changed this.
Still, none of that is surprising. Take a look at ddr3 HD5550 performance to get some rough idea how it should stack up.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:38 am

Intel are planning to release the Sandy Bridge Core i3 2105 in May. This CPU is a combination of the 2100 plus the HD3000 graphics unit until now only seen on the high-end i5s http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i3/I ... -2105.html. The Core i3 2105 and H61 motherboard is going to make an excellent low budget Sandy Bridge combo. I think AMD will struggle to overcome the inertia that has built up behind Sandy Bridge, particularly now that B3 release motherboards are fully on stream. This is not helped by the release of Llano being delayed until July.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:23 am

Ivy Bridge is due out in Q4. It is going to have a stronger graphics processor as well.

mczak

Post by mczak » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 am

ces wrote:Ivy Bridge is due out in Q4. It is going to have a stronger graphics processor as well.
That is true, though we don't know how much faster. It was stated it should have 30% more execution units and support DX11 - assuming it is roughly 30% faster compared to HD3000 (I don't think there's a major gpu architecture overhaul this time despite it supporting DX11, though I could be wrong) Llano will still be ~50% faster.
Granted, factoring in the supposedly large advantage on the cpu side for Ivy Bridge, that might not really be enough to attract a lot of customers...
Also, for about half a year, it will only need to compare to Sandy Bridge at least - the i3 2105 could be quite an interesting comparison overall indeed.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 am

mczak wrote:Also, for about half a year, it will only need to compare to Sandy Bridge at least
Yes except that neither of them are available. The clock only starts when you or I can walk into a store and buy it :)

Until then it is all fiction.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:19 am

+1

It's like the Intel Sandy Bridge Z68 chipset. It's being said on the web that it will be here in May. All sorts of claims are being made for its specs. But until it appears on an actual motherboard in a retail box that at least a reviewer can get their hands on - who knows?