HSF for 6850?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

odditude

HSF for 6850?

Post by odditude » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:47 am

First post here, so hi, all! I've been reading the site for ages, but have never needed to reach out til now.

I just rebuilt my main PC, which sits under my TV in an Antec Fusion case. The stock 120mm fans (on low) and PSU are below the noise floor of the room, and not a problem at all. The CPU is handled by the Ninja Mini I used on the previous incarnation of this box, and the primary drive is an SSD, so no issues there, either. The storage drive is a 1TB Caviar GP (also carried over from the previous incarnation), and that's quiet enough for my tastes.

My issue is the video card, an XFX 6850 that starts off clearly noticeable and ramps up to annoying. I'd like to replace the HSF with something quieter which will handle that card but fit in the case. My previous card was a 4770 with a VF900 on it turned down to lowest, and that was below the noise floor of the room. Will a VF3000A be quiet and perform well enough on lowest, or should I look elsewhere?

Edit: VF3000A doesn't fit; I failed to notice that the actual contact point is off-center. On a card with the GPU smack-dab in the middle, it extends the card by a good 4 inches or so.

boost

Re: HSF for 6850?

Post by boost » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 am

odditude wrote:Edit: VF3000A doesn't fit; I failed to notice that the actual contact point is off-center. On a card with the GPU smack-dab in the middle, it extends the card by a good 4 inches or so.
Most aftermarket graphic card cooler are made for cards where the cpu is placed further back, not in the center. The Antec Fusion doesn't have a lot of room above the slots, so the Arctic Coolins S1 is out. And the card with the cooler can't be longer than a standard mainboard.
Have you tried reusing the Zalman VF900?
The 6850 isn't officially listed as compatible but it couldn't hurt to try.

I found two other coolers with a contact area in the middle:
ZEROtherm CoolMaxx 2000 SPCR review didin't like it too much. Maybe with a quieter fan strapped on top?
Xigmatek Battle-Axe, performance isn't bad, but it's loud. Fan swap should be easier than on the Zerotherm.
[edit]Third one Zalman VF1000, still not the most quiet, but better than those above it.[/edit]

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Arctic cooling s1 if you have decent airflow in your case.
Arctic Twin Turbo Pro if you want more performance.

I have a twin turbo pro on my asus 6850 at it's quieter than my hard drives (gotta get that changed soon).
GPU gets to 65 degrees in furmark xtreme burn. It's at 25 at idle with ambient of 20 degrees.
Vregs get to 75 degrees under load.

odditude

Post by odditude » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:46 pm

I actually have a VF1000 lying around that I'm planning on using now; just looking for a suitable replacement for the stock VRM heatsink since it's too tall to coexist with the Zalman and I don't want to cut it down (if I ever need warranty service, I need to be able to revert to stock cooling before I send it in).

I haven't had a chance to take the card back apart and measure the VRM sink yet, though. Can anyone give guidance as to whether it's truly necessary?