Gelid Icy Vision vs. Accelero Twin Turbo

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ck8-04

Gelid Icy Vision vs. Accelero Twin Turbo

Post by ck8-04 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:21 pm

I just received an XFX reference 6870 to replace a dead 5850, but my Thermalright T-Rad won't fit on the 6870. I did some research on Google and the 2 coolers in the subject caught my interest. What I like about the Icy Vision is that I can use the stock heatplate for cooling the memory and VRMs, but the fans on the cooler don't have PWM capability, so I'd need to connect them to the PSU's 5V line to achieve silence. The Twin Turbo does have PWM capability, but I would be forced to use the small RAMsinks that come with it (and I've read bad things about Arctic Cooling's thermal tape). Which one should I buy? They're both $55 on Newegg.

falcon26

Re: Gelid Icy Vision vs. Accelero Twin Turbo

Post by falcon26 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:14 pm

I had the Twin Turbo on my Xfx 6870. It run like a dream. It was dead quiet and cooled the card much much better than stock. I like the fact that you can plug the fans directly into the video card. I didn't have any Heatsinks on my memory IMO its not needed. I ended up using the stock heatsink for the VRMS's though. It fit perfect with the twin turbo pro...

boost

Post by boost » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:04 am

+1 for the Twin Turbo Pro. It's both quieter and cooler. Comparative test.
I find the prices at Newegg outrageous. I can get the Twin Turbo Pro II for 30€ shipped, which doesn't help you much I know.

ck8-04

Post by ck8-04 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks for the responses. I wish I didn't need to buy the cooler so soon but there was a defect with the stock cooler where the fan rubbed against the shroud. I went with the Icy Vision and it did not work with the stock heat plate as depicted here so I ended up having to use the included RAMsinks and VRMsinks anyway. It's quiet but only slightly noisier than my previous setup which consisted of a Thermalright T-Rad2 and a Scythe S-Flex D 800RPM.