Hold on buying any Nvidia card

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

antiatavist

Hold on buying any Nvidia card

Post by antiatavist » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:19 am

If you want your PC to be ready for VR, it seems they are the worst option.

antiatavist

Re: Hold on buying any Nvidia card

Post by antiatavist » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:02 am

It looks like Nvidia's Maxwell architecture is also bad for DX12.

This is huge news, Nvidia is in big trouble with VR/DX12 just around the corner.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:38 am

1. I don't care about VR.
2. I use Linux. I don't care about DX12.

Doesn't bother me at all...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:13 am

I don't care about VR, either. As for DX12, I'll wait for some games to be released and benchmarked before I worry over this.

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:10 am

Wait, you don't care about VR, the most important technology since the invention of computers that will transform education, training, entertainment, movies, games, communication?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 am

As it applies to my gaming PC? nope.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:38 pm

antiatavist wrote:Wait, you don't care about VR, the most important technology since the invention of computers that will transform education, training, entertainment, movies, games, communication?
I haven't cared since I played a bad VR game in 1993 and got killed by a flying dinosaur with a name I can't spell.

That future is about 20 years behind schedule.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Likewise, I care as much about VR as I do about 3D movies - nada.

Plus why is it news that you might need new hardware for VR? Very few of today's GPUs are capable of pushing the kinda framerates a decent VR setup requires anyways, no doubt by the time VR is widespread and mainstream, every modern GPU will support the technology.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:02 pm

can we get the thread title changed to end with, "IF you want to be a VR beta tester"?

currently, it reads like clickbait...and a lil bit of FUD, if you dont actually read the OP's link.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:03 pm

antiatavist wrote:Wait, you don't care about VR, the most important technology since the invention of computers that will transform education, training, entertainment, movies, games, communication?
Imo all things are just pre assumptions of things to come, we don't know how they will evolve or when they will become main stream, for now there is no certainty on the subject, and gpus of today, might or not be good enough for VR, technologies tend to shift over time.... so will Nvidia, AMD and Intel. When VR is mainstream, im sure there will be viable options from each manufacturer, and only then is worth considering, for now use the GPUs for whatever you see fit, for me its gaming, and will continue to buy Nvidia, but im not closed into trying again AMD/Ati, i just dont see their GPU line worth my money atm.

There is no way of future proofing a PC, so waiting or limiting because of an tech that might as you say the "most important technology since the invention of computer", will only limit what you can do now, when its worth it, im sure a lot will consider it and will buy hardware accordingly, i just don't think that day is today, then again, that's just my personal opinion.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:37 pm

antiatavist wrote:Wait, you don't care about VR, the most important technology since the invention of computers
Umm, I think that was actually the world wide web...
:roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8cnP-RtRHU - Really, do watch this!

No, none of us care about VR. We haven't cared about it since the terrible disappointment that it was in 1993: It looked so good until it turned out to be a 5fps version of Hover Tank 3D with a blocky hand reached out in front of you like some kind of robotic sexpest.