Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
boe
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:47 am

Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by boe » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Hello,

I'm desperate to find a 30" plus 16x9 or 16x10 144hz monitor for gaming and work. I can't seem to find any but I was curious if they 144hz monitors tended to make any more noise than 60hz monitors do.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2000
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 1:39 am
Location: Finland

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:25 pm

No monitor should make any sort of noise if built correctly, so no. It's been a long time since I came across a whining monitor, actually, 60, 120 or 144 Hz.
Case: Define Mini
Parts: P8Z77-M Pro µATX, i5-3570K, STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5, 8 GB G.Skill DDR3U, Xonar DX, WD B-G 1 TB, mx100 256 GB, RX-5300 PSU
Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 + Scythe SS PWM, 2x Noctua NF-P12
Extras: Eaton UPS, Dell 24" EIPS, MS Sculpt, Logitech G303, Synology DS213j 3+3 TB NAS

boe
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by boe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:40 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:No monitor should make any sort of noise if built correctly, so no. It's been a long time since I came across a whining monitor, actually, 60, 120 or 144 Hz.
Thanks! I really want to replace one of my main monitors as I'm short one on my spare PC. I want to move up to a higher refresh as games seem to think it really is better (I've never tried one as far as I know). I'm hoping the M320QAN01.2 estimated release is in June will have a higher refresh than my U3011. I haven't found any refresh rate info on it yet but June isn't too far away (unless you want a new toy now :D )

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2000
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 1:39 am
Location: Finland

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:30 am

The higher Hz will certainly make a difference in responsiveness, if the game has animations and assets to match (and your rig can drive it fast enough; you don't need superhuman reflexes and senses to spy the difference). A friend was really pleased with his new 120 Hz monitor, as he had not been able to appreciate 100+ FPS since the days of the CRT. 60 FPS is fine, but 120 FPS is better (and 144 FPS I suppose is currently the best in that particular regard).

Don't know the model you're talking about - since it's a newcomer, might be worthwhile to wait for initial reports to arrive regarding the build quality and possible noise.

PS. There was a video released very recently that is just the ticket regarding the sources of monitor noise (i.e. whining electrical components): https://youtu.be/F2gX-R1k7MM.
Case: Define Mini
Parts: P8Z77-M Pro µATX, i5-3570K, STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5, 8 GB G.Skill DDR3U, Xonar DX, WD B-G 1 TB, mx100 256 GB, RX-5300 PSU
Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 + Scythe SS PWM, 2x Noctua NF-P12
Extras: Eaton UPS, Dell 24" EIPS, MS Sculpt, Logitech G303, Synology DS213j 3+3 TB NAS

boe
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by boe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:
Don't know the model you're talking about - since it's a newcomer, might be worthwhile to wait for initial reports to arrive regarding the build quality and possible noise.
It's an AUO 32" screen NON ultrawide scheduled currently for June. I don't know if Acer or Dell or ... will put it in their monitors but I'm HOPING it will be a 144hz model. It might not be but I HOPE it will be. I think BenQ puts the predecessor in their monitors but BenQ can be glitchy although cheap. I think Asus and Dell use them as well.

laststop
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:37 am
Location: Youngstown, OH

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by laststop » Mon May 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:The higher Hz will certainly make a difference in responsiveness, if the game has animations and assets to match (and your rig can drive it fast enough; you don't need superhuman reflexes and senses to spy the difference). A friend was really pleased with his new 120 Hz monitor, as he had not been able to appreciate 100+ FPS since the days of the CRT. 60 FPS is fine, but 120 FPS is better (and 144 FPS I suppose is currently the best in that particular regard).

Don't know the model you're talking about - since it's a newcomer, might be worthwhile to wait for initial reports to arrive regarding the build quality and possible noise.

PS. There was a video released very recently that is just the ticket regarding the sources of monitor noise (i.e. whining electrical components): https://youtu.be/F2gX-R1k7MM.
Actually 165 fps is the current best. Asus and acer have 27" 1440 ips monitors at 165hz available they are about 750 dollars.

For some reason it seems only 27" and smaller monitors are widely available with increased refresh rates. I wish the larger 32"+ screens started having this feature more widely available. I'm on a 32" benq 2560x1440 VA screen at 60hz. Love the size and resolution, gives the same pixel pitch as 1920x1080 @ 24 inches so no windows scaling required but I'd like a faster refresh rate.

nagi
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: Outside the box

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by nagi » Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi,

I just got a 144Hz Asus mg279q, and while I only tested it in 120Hz, not 144Hz, due to some issues, (my 290X only has 1 dp output) but it is absolutely silent in operation. It is as silent as my previous silent displays.

edit: got tid of popping in standby, was caused by "render standby" setting of iGPU in bios.
gamer: 3900X // 2080Ti // x470 Taichi Ultimate // custom loop
work silent: i7-4790K // NH-D15 // AsRock Z87-Extreme4 // 32GB // 1650 Passive //Seasonic X-400 // FD Define R4
storage server: A8-3870K // Mugen 2 // 4GB // Seasonic Plat 520W // Antec P180b // 24TB
home server: 4770k // Liquid Freezer 240 // AsRock Z97E-ITX/ac // 8GB // Seasonic X-400W // Evolv Shift X

cpaqf1
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by cpaqf1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:32 pm

The Dell 27" 144hz is known to make a buzzing sound.

Kaleid
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:43 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Do 144hz monitors make any noise?

Post by Kaleid » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:31 am

nagi wrote:Hi,

I just got a 144Hz Asus mg279q, and while I only tested it in 120Hz, not 144Hz, due to some issues, (my 290X only has 1 dp output) but it is absolutely silent in operation. It is as silent as my previous silent displays.

edit: got tid of popping in standby, was caused by "render standby" setting of iGPU in bios.
I have the same and used the mini-display port from the 280x (144hz worked fine) I used to have and now 480 and it is completely silent in 144hz as well.
Although I must add that I always use the blue light filter at max (the whites are not superwhite anymore) to make it easier on the eyes.
i5 4670k (@4.2), Asus Z87-C, Mugen 2 revB (500rpm), Club 3d 280x with AC S1+ (700+500rpm), 24GB Kingston 1600Mhz, Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, 4TB+3TB WD Green (in softm. Scythe quietdrives), Soundblaster Z, Asus MG279Q, Corsair RM650i, Antec p180 (2x500rpm slipstream)

Post Reply