Passive graphics card for 10-bit display

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ubtree

Passive graphics card for 10-bit display

Post by Ubtree » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:46 am

I am about to purchase a single 10-bit 2560x1440 monitor for use with Photoshop, and I understand that the only graphics cards that support 10-bits are Nvidia Quadro and ATI FirePro. The card needs to have a displayport output.

Other than Photoshop, I used the PC for office applications. I do not use it for gaming.

The rest of my PC is passively cooled, and so I'd much prefer a fanless graphics card. But I really don't understand the ranges and specifications of graphics cards, and so would appreciate any advice on this issue.

Can anyone recommend a suitable card?

quest_for_silence

Re: Passive graphics card for 10-bit display

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:12 am

Ubtree wrote:Can anyone recommend a suitable card?
The lowest end FirePros are what I went for (reference V3900/V4900): then I strapped an Accelero S1 Plus on them.

I doubt there are suitable pro cards right out of the box.

Ubtree

Post by Ubtree » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:56 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:The lowest end FirePros are what I went for (reference V3900/V4900): then I strapped an Accelero S1 Plus on them.
Although I've built my own PCs, I've previously been nervous of modding a graphics card, but I've had a look at the V4900 and the Accelero S1 Plus, and this combination certainly looks to be an excellent suggestion. I'm particularly impressed by the KitGuru review of the Accelero S1 Plus.

I don't know if there are different implementations of the V4900, but would the Sapphire AMD FirePro V4900 be suitable?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:07 am

Ubtree wrote:I don't know if there are different implementations of the V4900, but would the Sapphire AMD FirePro V4900 be suitable?

I think so, it looks extremely similar to mine: probably it's a reference card.

If I can't take the liberty, if you don't need the after sale services or customer support, you might also look for those cards off the bay: more than once there are discounted ones coming from upgraded workstations.