RX 480 Review Compilation thread

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

RX 480 Review Compilation thread

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:35 pm

In brief: Great 1080p/ ok to decent 1440p, 150W TDP, but OEM stock OC'ed cards may use much more (180W+) at stress loads. HDMI 2.0b and Display Port 1.4(ready), DVI no longer includes analog VGA signals. Requires one 6-pin PCIe Graphics power connector, but OEM designs may use more. Dimensions stated as: a" x b" x c" are from mfgr websites - others are from reviews. Faster than GTX 970, slower than GTX 1060.

AMD reference design @ Guru3D, Tech Report

Roundups:
Tom's Hardware with Asus Strix, HIS IceQ X2, MSI Gaming X, and Sapphire Nitro+

Reviews with acoustic testing:

Asus RX 480 STRIX (11.81-12.01" length, 4.96-5.12" height, dual slot (1.38"), 8-pin PEG. 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive to 60C.
Techpowerup
ComputerBase (German)
KitGuru
Hexus
Tom's Hardware

Asus RX 480 Dual OC 4GB (9.53" length, 5.12" height, dual slot (1.69"), 8-pin PEG. 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive to 60C.
Hexus

Sapphire RX 480 Nitro + OC 4GB & 8GB (9.45-9.49" length*, 4.72-4.92" height, dual slot (1.60"), 8-pin PEG. 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive fan hysteresis (silent bios): fans off with drop to 44C; fans on with rise to 62C. 2000rpm max fan. *Rear PEG connector will add another 1"+ of clearance needed.
KitGuru
eTeknix (questionable)
ComputerBase (German)
Hexus
hardwareLuxx (German)
Tom's Hardware

PowerColor RX 480 Red Devil (11.61-11.81" length, 4.53" height, dual slot (xx"), 8-pin PEG. 3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive fan hysteresis: fans off with drop to 50C; fans on with rise to 62C. 1600/1800rpm max fan (Silent/OC modes).
ComputerBase (German)
Guru3D
hardwareLuxx (German)

MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB (10.83-11.02" length, 5.31-5.51" height, dual slot (1.38-1.60"), 8-pin PEG. 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive to 60C.
Techpowerup
Guru3D
Tom's Hardware

Gigabyte RX 480 G1 Gaming X 8GB (9.25-9.45" length, xx" height, dual slot (xx"), 8-pin PEG. 3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive fan hysteresis: fans off with drop to 44C; fans on with rise to 50C.
Guru3D
hardwareLUXX (German)

HIS RX 480 IceQ X2 Roaring Turbo 8GB (11.38" length, 5.31" height, dual slot (1.38"), 8-pin PEG. 3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive fan hysteresis: fans off with drop to xxC; fans on with rise to xxC.
Tom's Hardware

Abula

Re: RX 480 Review Compilation thread

Post by Abula » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:04 pm

The Asus RX480 Strixs rather noisy compared to the MSI GTX1060 Gaming

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Abula wrote:The Asus RX480 Strixs rather noisy compared to the MSI GTX1060 Gaming
It uses about 55W more, peak.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Even with the triple-fan design, the fan speed is around 2100 rpm, which is utterly terrible. According to Techpowerup, the calculated power consumption during typical gaming sessions is 177W, which is even higher than that of GTX 1080, 163W.

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/asu ... erdrehzahl
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASU ... OC/21.html

<joke>I reckon that this card can be a terrific radiator in winter. Or is it tailored for Scandinavian winter?</joke>

I recently changed my venerable SilverStone TJ08-E to Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX. My Palit GTX 1070 Super Jestream barely reaches 68 Celsius where the GPU fan speeds are around 950-1000 rpm and the two chassis fans (NF-A14 PWM) are rotating at 750-800 rpm. There are literally unsurmountable acoustic differences between Nvidia and AMD now.

quest_for_silence wrote:
Abula wrote:The Asus RX480 Strixs rather noisy compared to the MSI GTX1060 Gaming
It uses about 55W more, peak.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 pm

ggumdol wrote:Even with the triple-fan design, the fan speed is around 2100 rpm, which is utterly terrible

Though we don't know "what if" a custom curve were used: that's just to say that I'd like to read a more noise-conscious review (MikeC where are you?), before rejecting the RX 480 as inherently noisy. :twisted:

ggumdol wrote:According to Techpowerup, the calculated power consumption
Just a side note: TPU does NOT calculate power consumption (as, for instance, Guru3D does) BUT they directly measure it ("...we measure the power consumption of only the graphics card via the PCI-Express power connector(s) and PCI-Express bus slot. A Keithley Integra 2700 digital multimeter with 6.5-digit resolution is used for all measurements. Again, these values only reflect the card's power consumption as measured at its DC inputs, not that of the whole system..."). :wink:

ggumdol wrote:I recently changed my venerable SilverStone TJ08-E to Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX.

How does it perform, cooling and noise wise? I was somewhat disappointed by the larger Evolv ATX. :?:

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:21 am

I'm terribly sorry for hijacking this thread but our very important member made a request, with which I should comply. :wink:

As you must be aware, I'm not a professional reviewer and don't have any incentive to conduct a comprehensive experiment to compare TJ08-E and Enthoo Evolv (mATX). However, in retrosepect, it is crystal clear now that Enthoo Evolv substantially outperforms TJ08-E in acoustical terms. I have the impression that very thick panels significantly dampen the noise inside the chassis while TJ08-E was quite poor in this aspect. Not to mention that I'm massively impressed with the overall build quality and its top-notch design, it's easily the best chassis I have ever owned.

I have not waded through all the reviews of Enthoo Evolv (I recently became very skeptical about all reviews in the Internet because I suspect many of them are paid by the manufacturers and sponsors) but I have seen some concerns regarding its ventilation capability due to the relatively "thin" four slits on the front panel, through which front fans are supposed to absorb the air outside.

I conjecture that using the "stock" 200mm front fan included in the chassis might be very problematic because the 200mm fan is closer to the bottom, thereby making it very inefficient, if not impossible, to suck the air outside by utilizing all the four slits properly. Therefore, without even trying the stock 200mm fan, I installed two Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans on the front. The result is astounding. The i5-6600K and GTX 1070 now idle at 26 Celsius and 38 Celsius. They used to idle around 37-40 Celsius and 45-47 Celsius in TJ08-E with similar front fan speeds. Note also that my GTX 1070 used to reach around 71 Celsius under full load in TJ-08E.

I'm almost overwhelmed by its overall performance, especially when I saw that the idle temperature of i5-6600K is 26 Celsius (the ambient temperature). If you allow me to reiterate, I think the think panels of Enthoo Evolv indeed reduced the overall noise of my main rig, regarding which I'm really satisfied.

quest_for_silence wrote:
ggumdol wrote:I recently changed my venerable SilverStone TJ08-E to Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX.

How does it perform, cooling and noise wise? I was somewhat disappointed by the larger Evolv ATX. :?:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 am

Thanks a lot for sharing, ggumdol! :wink:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:30 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
ggumdol wrote:Even with the triple-fan design, the fan speed is around 2100 rpm, which is utterly terrible

Though we don't know "what if" a custom curve were used: that's just to say that I'd like to read a more noise-conscious review (MikeC where are you?), before rejecting the RX 480 as inherently noisy. :twisted:
ComputerBase took a look at this in their review. Asus set the temp target at 65C, so you have to set a manual profile in order to raise the temp target to get the fans to run slower than 2100rpm at load. They tried an 80C target and found the fans could be slowed to 1350rpm @75C. I'd post the text in Googlish, but it's fairly contorted.

As an aside, fan profile of 60C passive and 65C full throttle? Yeesh.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:37 am

CA_Steve wrote:They tried an 80C target and found the fans could be slowed to 1350rpm @75C. I'd post the text in Googlish, but it's fairly contorted.

As an aside, fan profile of 60C passive and 65C full throttle? Yeesh.

It would be more probable that there's a min PWM speed of about 1350rpm, and with 3 fans at 1350rpm that card cannot exceed 75°C (with that ambient temp): we need a german volunteer... boost, are you reading us?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:24 am

Asus Strix @ KitGuru added.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Reviews with acoustic testing:

Sapphire RX 480 Nitro + OC 4GB & 8GB (9.45" length, 4.90" height, dual slot (1.60"), 8-pin PEG. 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive to ?
KitGuru
eTeknix (questionable)
ComputerBase (German)

Seemingly eTeknix's review indirectly confirmes (somehow) the current driver's "65°C issue", already reported by ComputerBase in their ASUS Strix review (boost, where are you?). :(

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:16 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Reviews with acoustic testing:

Sapphire RX 480 Nitro + OC 4GB & 8GB (9.45" length, 4.90" height, dual slot (1.60"), 8-pin PEG. 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 Dual-link DVI). Passive to ?
KitGuru
eTeknix (questionable)
ComputerBase (German)

Seemingly eTeknix's review indirectly confirmes (somehow) the current driver's "65°C issue", already reported by ComputerBase in their ASUS Strix review (boost, where are you?). :(
Added. Note for acoustic testing eTeknix uses a meter with self noise of 30dBA and accuracy of +/- 3.5dB. So, yeah, questionable.

Also added RX480 Nitro+ @ Hexus.

There's definately a bug with the AMD temp target of 65C. Here's a quote from the KitGuru Sapphire review:
As I mentioned in our Asus RX 480 Strix Gaming OC review a short while ago, these RX 480 reviews were delayed a little as we experienced some issues with the target temperature settings in AMD’s WattMan. From time to time on specific reboots the target temperature would switch from 65c to 75c and then vice versa. Sapphire confirmed an issue has been flagged with AMD regarding this.

All our testing was done with both 4GB and 8GB cards running at the 75c target temperature setting. Sometimes this required multiple reboots, or a fresh driver install. Sapphire confirmed their Nitro+ OC cards should be tested with the target temperature at the 75c threshold.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:35 am

is this a bug in AMD software for windows? or for the card's firmware? or by the AIB makers? Is it only on certain AIB cards?

I want to get one tomorrow, a 480 gb with custom cooling. I am confused as to what review means what being that there are so many bugs and differences of reviews.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:38 pm

The 65C temp target was found in both the Sapphire and Asus cards as mentioned in the above reviews. The odd thing is:
- ComputerBase was able to adjust the temp target upwards and it worked well on the Asus card.
- KitGuru saw wacky behavior on the Sapphire card where the temp target would switch back and forth between 65C and 75C on reboots, etc.

Leads me to believe:
- AMD WattMan s/w needs a version update :)
- 65C really isn't a good temp target for this chip unless you have an extraordinarily good cooling solution...that we haven't seen, yet.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Well, now I cannot even find the cards to buy. I can't tell the differences with these cards anyway. Do you see any other of them for sale ?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:01 am

PowerColor Red Devil @ ComputerBase added.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:34 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:Well, now I cannot even find the cards to buy. I can't tell the differences with these cards anyway. Do you see any other of them for sale ?
I would recommend agaisnt AMD, but i know you like AMD and Asus, the Asus reviews i seen didn't seem that great, i would recommend you wait for other reviews before committing into it, i would wait for MSI reviews, seems the GPUs will be available around mid to late august, you can preorder on MSI RADEON RX 480 GDDR5 8G TWIN FRZR VI OC.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:21 am

Thank you for the warning! I guess I will wait yet again....

and thank you for that link! that's the best company to buy from aside from Microcenter. Plus, they sell the Square Trade warranties, which are the best warranties as they are no hassle and good priced .

I actually use my video cards MOST for scientific computing/number crunching. So it is worse for me as single precision the 1070 is absolutely the card to buy, and for double the RX 480 is obviously the card to buy.

sad right? that is nvidia's greed that did that, not the technology. they removed features from the chip to make it not work for all forms of scientific computing. sadness in a can.

If the rx 480 came out in December 2015, it would be best card out performance per watt. THe gtx 970 was the performance per watt king for two years, if the new line didnt come out, spcr would recommend it still. Now that the rx 480 is much better per watt than the 980 and the 970, we say it sucks because the 1070 is out. I think really the choice is between the 1070 and 480 for me, which is more reasonable a deal. the 1060 gtx has very low future proofing ability, but it is a great card for this moment. Probably the best one for 250 dollars.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:28 am

It's like when a new poster asks "what's the best video card?" and the automatic answer is "best for what use?" :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:11 am

absolutely "for what use" is key. very true

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:07 am

Sapphire Nitro @ Hexus, Powercolor Red Devil @ Guru 3D, and MSI Gaming X @ Techpowerup added.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:40 am

CA_Steve wrote:MSI Gaming X @ Techpowerup added.
Damn, seems like a great card for anyone looking for AMD, wink El Jefe,
We've previously reviewed the ASUS RX 480 STRIX, which was quite noisy, and the AMD reference design had even worse noise. Other reviews on the web confirmed this problem for nearly all of AMD board partners, that's why it's good to see that MSI has managed to tame the noise levels of the RX 480.

With only 31 dBA, the card is very quiet, and operates in an area that we've only seen from the more power-efficient NVIDIA graphics cards. MSI's GTX 1060 Gaming X is still much quieter, with only 28 dBA in gaming.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:40 am

Abula wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:MSI Gaming X @ Techpowerup added.
Damn, seems like a great card for anyone looking for AMD, wink El Jefe,
We've previously reviewed the ASUS RX 480 STRIX, which was quite noisy, and the AMD reference design had even worse noise. Other reviews on the web confirmed this problem for nearly all of AMD board partners, that's why it's good to see that MSI has managed to tame the noise levels of the RX 480.

With only 31 dBA, the card is very quiet, and operates in an area that we've only seen from the more power-efficient NVIDIA graphics cards. MSI's GTX 1060 Gaming X is still much quieter, with only 28 dBA in gaming.

Have you seen the Red Devil review? at guru3D? It looks rather nice! I would however be summoning demons. That is an issue.

Do you think this review of the MSI is legit in its sound measurements? I am concerned that people's sound equipment is more relative than absolute in their measurements. If a place reviews multiple cards, that gives the best help.

I thank you greatly for pointing this MSI card out to me!

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:Have you seen the Red Devil review? at guru3D? It looks rather nice!
I hadnt until you point me there, but seems as low as it gets on noise compared to others GPUs, the problem here is that no place is like SPCR, its hard to compare as they dont use an Anechoic chamber. That said looks very good compare to other cards, specially vs other RX 480s.
~El~Jefe~ wrote:Do you think this review of the MSI is legit in its sound measurements? I am concerned that people's sound equipment is more relative than absolute in their measurements. If a place reviews multiple cards, that gives the best help.
Im not going to sell you that MSI is silent, but i have owned a lot of MSI cards over the past 3 years (GTX750Ti, GTX960, GTX980Ti and GTX1080, recently did a build for a friend with GTX1070), all of them have been very quiet, much quieter than Asus on the same load, might try an EVGA soon though, as they seems very similar in terms of noise/temps. MSI is kinda good for balancing noise and temperature, not saying they are the best, but its a good bet overall, by this im not implying the card is silent, but its very quiet, even my GTX1080 is quiet under load atm, to the point that i decided not use the Prolimatech MK26.
~El~Jefe~ wrote:I would however be summoning demons. That is an issue.
Jefe, welcome to the darkside.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:03 am

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/po ... iew,5.html

Notice their finding of Reference AMD RX 480 8gb is 166 watts on load

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI ... _X/21.html

Notice the same number as reference load.

Then notice the peak of the MSI and peak of the Red Devil/powercolor: MSI is at 224 watts, Powercolor is at 168 watts!

The powercolor, guru3D review shows 38 dB at 75cm. The other place claims 31 dB at shorter distance. I am going to say that 31dB..... just isnt realistic? And what about 224 watts? even the 207 "typical gaming" draw seems crazy. Also note that the Red Devil has more of a factory OC on it than the MSI..... The Red Devil has a tiny switch on it to go to default specifications for reference clocks as well (kinda sexy addition there).

Highly confusing. I do not think I would want to have 50 more watts drawn for a few dB savings..... confusing confusing.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:06 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:Highly confusing. I do not think I would want to have 50 more watts drawn for a few dB savings..... confusing confusing.
Well something has to give, its all about priorities, i personally would accept higher temps and lower efficiency in exchange for lower noise and higher performance, but thats just the way i look into what i want on my setups.

You could always go with a reference card and install something like Prolimatech MK26 or Artic Accelero IV (check for compatibility first), those two coolers could handle a GTX480 im sure it can handle the RX480, see a trend here.... its the devil.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:10 am

Yes, I would absolutely agree with you for gaming or regular use or watching movies.

One issue is that I am using it for..... porn.

oh, i meant, scientific computing. Yes, I volunteer my cards and machine (hopefully multiple one day) to scientific computing. The power draw, if excessive, can make a room hot and of course cost more per year. The little click switch on the Red Devil, evading using software at all, seems rather snazy! Yes? thoughts? it is quite snazy....

Currently I search for alien life with SETI@home. I might try and do Milky Way as well if i get a modern card that has real double precision vs my current one.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Among the other facts, I guess you (el jefe) missed to notice also the abysmal overclockability of these new RX 480s, as maybe expected in any self-respecting die-shrink: the MSI accounts for a mere 5% higher clock, albeit it hasn't those high frequencies seen on Pascal... almost 30 months ago my R9 280 overclocked 22% (from 933MHz to 1139MHz) while actually undervolting (1.250V stock, 1.219V oc'ed), and its memory even more, 36% (from 1250MHz to 1700MHz, 1.350V stock voltage)... I'm afraid AMD is done.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:51 pm

amd is done aside from being in every xbox and playstation now and the in future as well as servers and selling out constantly all rx 480's for next two years, and being faster and less wattage than a 970 gtx, which, 10 minutes ago was the best "spcr" card possible.

done aside from that sure. oh, and cheaper, cheaper is nice.

Also if you look at the math, the overclock standard on Red Devil card is higher than the MSI, yet has less wattage.... so there's something there going on. A slower clocked MSI taking 50 more watts power?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:aside from being in every xbox and playstation now and the in future as well as...

Unfortunately that doesn't drain their financial losses or prevent revenue shrinking year by year... BTW, to back on track, ATM I think those Power Color figures are somehow flawed (albeit I dunno how exactly).