AOpen EY855 (Pentium M) on tweakers.net, Celeron M?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sdc

AOpen EY855 (Pentium M) on tweakers.net, Celeron M?

Post by sdc » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:17 am

Hie everyone,

I thought that you could be interested in a thorough AOpen EY855 review from tweakers.net, even if it's in Dutch:
http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/549/2

Together with a 6800LE, they measured it at 42 dB at 20 cm (not much space in Holland) from the front of the case. This compares to 47 dB for a Shuttle SN95G5/Athlon 3800+.
I don't know how it translates to SPCR measurements, but it looks OK for such a setup (I don't see the point of putting a 6800 in such a box).

This box would get much cheaper with a Celeron M instead of a Pentium M, given the difference in price and the overclocking potential. Unfortunately, these seem very hard to find: here in Germany, only alternate seem to have them.

Has anyone seen a review of a EY855+Celeron M?

/sdc

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: AOpen EY855 (Pentium M) on tweakers.net, Celeron M?

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:55 am

sdc wrote:Together with a 6800LE, they measured it at 42 dB at 20 cm (not much space in Holland) from the front of the case. This compares to 47 dB for a Shuttle SN95G5/Athlon 3800+.
I don't know how it translates to SPCR measurements, but it looks OK for such a setup (I don't see the point of putting a 6800 in such a box).
:lol: :lol: very funny comment about spce...

That 20cm measurement is really unfortunate. It's just about meaningless. The mic needs to be back at least half a meter for it to have any chance at accuracy because of boundary / bass reinforment issues. (FM announcer voice is one effect of this). Such close measurement tends to reduce the difference between noises.

I agree that a 6800 in this PC is plain dumb.

Mats

Re: AOpen EY855 (Pentium M) on tweakers.net, Celeron M?

Post by Mats » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:55 am

About the CM's performance: check out the DFI mini-ITX review at x86-secret.com.
sdc wrote:This box would get much cheaper with a Celeron M instead of a Pentium M, given the difference in price and the overclocking potential. Unfortunately, these seem very hard to find: here in Germany, only alternate seem to have them.
Try www.itbutikken.dk , they ship to most countries I think and they have the 1.5 GHz CM for 90€ (103€ with Deutsche post). They have the pricey EY855 as well. The good things about itbutikken are the prices and that they got so many different products (like the unusual 90 nm mobile S754 A64). They don't deliver the stuff very fast though, and I really don't know about their customer support.

I've bought 4 computers and lot's of components so far, it have worked out well. Until about a year ago you could find really low prices quite easily, but it's not like that anymore. I bought a P4 2.4 GHz computer for 3000SEK and sold it two weeks later for 4500SEK! Those were the days...

(So I'm not working for itbutikken even though I mention them quite often.)

sdc

Post by sdc » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:23 am

Hej Mats!

I had read the article on x86-secret as well, that's what decided me to have a look at the Celeron M. But there are surprisingly few reports about that processor on the web.

I recently found out that mix-computer.de sold the Celeron 360 (Dothan/1.4 GHz/1Mb L2) for € 119 and the EY855 for € 317, at that price the EY855 becomes a lot more interesting.
Has anyone experiences with them? I was about to ask in the "Deals" forum.

Tusen tack igen för tipset! (spent some years studying in Sweden, in case you wonder)

/sdc

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:52 am

sdc wrote:Has anyone experiences with them?
Nej, du blir den förste!! <försökskanin> :lol:

sdc

Post by sdc » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:27 pm

Well, then I am the "trial rabbit" as the Swedes say. Both parts ordered from Mix.
To use another Swedish saying, I hope that they have clean flour in the bag :)

I will get a Sapphire 9600 from the reseller-down-the-street when everything comes, and I'll let you know how well this works!

/sdc