Venturing into the Small Form Factor

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

msm_zgok

Venturing into the Small Form Factor

Post by msm_zgok » Sun May 08, 2005 9:51 pm

I just ordered the AOpen EZ18 to replace my Antec-Biostar system. I wanted to check out the SFF anyway and it seemed like the EZ18 is a well recommended entry-level socket A barebone.

I also made a bad decision. Well the system that it will replace has a weird Samsung Spinpoint (this Tech Support Forum thread summarizes its problems). Anyway, I had plan to get a new drive for the system so I can RMA the Samsung and eBay/convert to external. However, the replacement drive I decided to get was another 80GB WD Caviar, which runs nicely for me. Some later research introduced me to the world of 2.5" notebook drives. There's the bad decision, I should have gone with a notebook drive instead as they're the obvious choice in SFF systems. So now I'm off to place a rush order for a 40gig 2.5 and I'll have to swallow the 15% restocking on the WD :(

But anyway, here is the projected parts list for this build:
AOpen EZ18- it'll probably be stock at first
AMD Sempron 2200+ - i'll probably go after a larger undervolt
Mushkin PC3200 512MB - it'll be running at 166
A 40GB 5400RPM Notebook HDD - not sure which brand, probably Fujitsu/Samsung
Samsung 40x12x40x CD-RW - reusing old and noisy burner
ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB - I'm not a fan of intergrated VGA

I'm just concerned about the heat issues that I may run into. Does anyone know the exact thermal power of the slowest Sempron processor? The entire class gets a rating of 62W but I don't think my 2200+ runs that hot stock. Maybe some advice as this is the first SFF I'll be building.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue May 17, 2005 8:53 am

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/main.htm
Also Sisoft Sandra has a section where it estimates your CPU power usage which is quite good. It matches my undervolting/underclocking quite well. Google it :)