Computex : Shuttle Pentium M

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zouav

Computex : Shuttle Pentium M

Post by zouav » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:24 am

Shuttle just announced their new barebone and, guess what, it's Pentium M inside :D Code name is SD11G5. It's based on last chipset i915GM/ICH6-M and therefore manage pci-express and SATA natively. Firewire, Gigabit lan and Creative audio chip are also packaged.
Last, but no least, the psu will be external and therefore passive (220W), juste as on the ST62 K, which is great !

Pictures from Computex :

Image Image

It's good to see Shuttle entering the Pentium M market at last. Will have some fight with Aopen in the next few months ! Good news :)

wim

Post by wim » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:12 am

yummy it's good looking, is this the P-M zen i've been hoping for?
if it has DVI this might be a contender for my next splurge

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:14 am

Also looks like it has integrated wireless? (Or what is that antenna looking thing for)

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:26 am

That thing sticking up is definitely a wireless antenna.

The usual Shuttle Wireless kit uses an internal USB connection, I believe. Not sure about this one though.

That system ought to be really quiet (or at least it would be with a fan swap! :wink: )

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:06 am

Nice one!

Good that they've skipped their "silent-x" psus. I have a similar psu, and with a 40mm fan there is simply no way of getting it silent, without having the psu overheat.

If you can find some way of putting a silent gfx in it, this would be the best i've seen so far.

zouav

Post by zouav » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:13 pm

with some passive graphics card and a tv tuner for me please. And dont forget the ketchup :lol:
Yop wireless is also integrated from start, i forgot to mention it :oops:

It seems it will really be possible to have some good airflow in it because of the external psu, just like the Zen. But some more moding with a addionnal fan on side panel if graphics card get too hot. Anyway, really neat and full of promises :)

wsc

Post by wsc » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:07 pm

Wow... between Aopen and Shuttle... :shock: 8)

wim

Post by wim » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:52 pm

2 concerns:
-this thing is sure to have some integrated cooling system. from the back view looks as though they've got their usual ICE cooling system thing there (hopefully not that crap sunon fan again :roll: ). i really hope the socket is not impossible to mount some custom heatsink instead, because it should be feasible to cool passively
-aluminium side/top panel going to resonate with HD noise, just like the zen

zouav from the pictures looks like may be integrated graphics and no other option? zen has no agp port because they can't have user sticking in a power hungry vid card and then overloading the external brick psu, might be same situation here

brmecham

I can't wait - SD11G5

Post by brmecham » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:55 pm

I was considering going with an Aopen Pentium M system, but then I saw the Shuttle XPC SD11G5!!!!!

I can't wait for the release of the SD11G5

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:34 pm

My worry is if the P-M Shuttle has PCI or PCIe x1 slot. I want PCI because I have a PCI HDTV card, but Shuttle has shown with their SN25 that if they can get good audio on board (it was mentioned this guy comes with built in audigy), they'll go PCIe.

The AOPEN 915 P-M board has PCIex16 + PCI, does the Shuttle P-M board?

wundi

Post by wundi » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:49 pm

Check out this page on The Tech Zone. If their Computex report doesn't lie, there is indeed a video card expansion slot, and given the chipset this SFF is based on, I'd guess it's a PCI Express x16 slot. Let's hope the other slot is an ordinary PCI. I'll quote the other meaningful thing they state:
there is only one variable speed fan on the SD11G5 and it only comes on when the system runs too hot, which isn't often.
This is great news, don't you think? The picture of the rear panel also gives away a DVI connector underneath the presumably analog video connector. :D

I just hope this info is correct and the chipset indeed keeps cool passively. And that they've got the ICE right with a high quality fan. And that there's at least some sort of suspension for the HDD.. Though knowing Shuttle, that seems unprobable.. :roll:

wim

Post by wim » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:53 pm

yes, all good news. good find wundi! that's certainly DVI there (wonder why they weren't using it?) woo

you can do 3.5" in the zen, remember. but i will be suspending 2.5" in a 3.5" bay

TheOnlyOne

Post by TheOnlyOne » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:08 pm

The SD11G5 is based on the Intel i915GM+ICH6M chipset, a fully configurable XPC based on the Pentium-M platform. It also comes with a 7.1 hardware sound solution from Creative, GFigabit LAN, & DVI output. It also runs off a power adaptor instead of a bulit in power supply, thus reducing the number of fans within the system, eliminating noise.

http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=2288&s=2 (scroll down)

:shock:

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:29 am

I hope when it says "Active Airflow", it is talking about the ICE heat pipe and not the 220W external adapter!

Farnsworth

Post by Farnsworth » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:23 am

The Tech Zone wrote:However, you may want to take advantage of the video card expansion slot and add in a nice X800 or GeForce video card.
http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=271&page=3
Powering a X800 with a 220W external psu brick??

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:00 pm

Farnsworth wrote:
The Tech Zone wrote:However, you may want to take advantage of the video card expansion slot and add in a nice X800 or GeForce video card.
http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=271&page=3
Powering a X800 with a 220W external psu brick??
Apparently those 110W AC-DCs can do a lot....
Slippery skip's Le Bouton
110W AC-DC powering P-M 2.1GHz, X800pro, 2 3.5" hard drives.....

Owen1978

Post by Owen1978 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:28 am

Anyone got a release date for this???

doodddoo

Post by doodddoo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:21 am

Does anyone know if this supports the Dual-Core Yonah CPU?

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:19 am

God damn. I just bought a S478 Zen before they went from scarce to non-existant! Grrr, if only I'd read this sooner...

I really thought they'd never make another one with an external PSU. Most enthusiasts who buy these things want a "beefy" PSU and room/cooling for high powered graphics cards. While the average consumer doesn't want to pay the extra for quietness.

@TOMMY@

Post by @TOMMY@ » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:47 pm

doodddoo wrote:Does anyone know if this supports the Dual-Core Yonah CPU?
No it doesn't, only the up coming 955XM/945GM/945PM do.

For further reading (in chinese)
http://www.oc.com.tw/article/0507/reado ... sp?id=4098

emkayIII

Release Date SD11G5 (Europe)

Post by emkayIII » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:51 am

Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

... but I thought the following news justifies a quick post.

I just got off the phone with a shuttle sales rep in europe who told me that they are expecting to receive the first batch of SD11G5's in Week 38 2005... meaning Sept 19th onwards, a little over a month away!

Pricing info he had no idea, but he does not expect it to fall significantly outside the price range of current shuttle barebones.

:lol:

emkay

Seb

Post by Seb » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:21 am

Hello. I'm a long time lurker but this certainly is enough to bring me out of the wood work.

Barebonecenter.de has meantioned that Shuttle annouced at the Games Convention in Leipzig that the SD11G5 will be availible beginning of October (in Europe I guess).

The same site also meantioned earlier that the SD11G5 will feature 1 PCI-Express 16x and 1 PCI-Express 1x like suspected earlier. IMHO that would be a poor move by Shuttle since this could be an excellent Media Center but there are no proper PCI-Express TV tuners (that I'm aware of). If it wasn't for this little snag, this would definately be something I'd like to get my hands on.

That brings me to my next concern. Why isn't there more buzz around the SD11G5 on SPCR? The ST62K was a decent SFF. Pretty good for a Pentium 4. With a Pentium M and a few updates it seems to me that this could be a VERY good SFF and reach close to ambient noise levels. Should I be suspicious of Shuttle or are there any other reasons that the buzz seem to have died since the days around Computex earlier this year?

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:26 am

Seb wrote:Barebonecenter.de has meantioned that Shuttle annouced at the Games Convention in Leipzig that the SD11G5 will be availible beginning of October (in Europe I guess).....Why isn't there more buzz around the SD11G5 on SPCR?
Nice find, I like you am sad to see the PCIe x1 slot instead of a vanilla PCI. I know I've been interested in this for a while, but its hard to have much discussion when its all just speculation.

Shuttle has usually had reasonably good quality Intel machines. My last comment is whether I'd even want a Pentium M shuttle knowing Yonah is just around the corner and will surely require a new chipset.

Seb

Post by Seb » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:20 pm

FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:55 pm

What an absolute joke. PCIe x1 over PCI for the sole expansion slot? This is just a radical decision that I can't figure out. What PCIe does is negligable over PCI. It's a transition tech. Companies have no friggin reason or desire to pump out stuff for this yet because it's not needed. Put one or two on an ATX board along with regular PCI is fine, but choosing it over PCI for the SOLE EXPANSION SLOT??? WTF? I'm not using the shitty onboard sblive over my pro sound card. WHERES IT GONNA GO???? I don't want to output to a receiver, I wanted this to be the ultimate all-in-one htpc and they do this. Unbelievable.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am

Wow you are really taken aback by this....

You can wait for the Aopen 915 P-M board listed here... From my understanding it has PCIe 16x and a PCI slot, although it seems to only feature a 150W PSU...

I imagine there will be a full height (SFF height that is) version aswell...

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:41 pm

I also think it's a really bad idea.

I don't agree with FitxRoy over the benifits of PCI-E 1x, those, in my opinion, are clear. But the point is there is no support for PCI-E 1x from device manufacturers yet. A few of the top uses for that expenasion slot would be a better audio card (as it's likely to be used for a media centre) and a wireless card. I know of no company that offers either at this point.

FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:05 pm

pipperoni wrote:Wow you are really taken aback by this....

You can wait for the Aopen 915 P-M board listed here... From my understanding it has PCIe 16x and a PCI slot, although it seems to only feature a 150W PSU...

I imagine there will be a full height (SFF height that is) version aswell...
Yeah, I'll say. I've been waiting years for an sff like this, and fully expected this to have a PCI slot for my sound card. The PCIe was a shot from left field. It's changed my plans completely. I don't know what I'm gonna do now and I'm tired of waiting. The hfs-i915gmm I would have gotten, but yet again, one monster unreasonable screw-up made that impossible (comes with a proprietary, dinky heatsink with no standard mounting mech for alternatives. runs way hot and for $300? They even had to replace it with a taller one because they were OVERHEATING. A LAPTOP CHIP. Now it barely gets the job done. Unbelievable!)

That aopen you pointed out is indeed half-height, and wouldn't accomidate standard expansions. (again, wth?) A full-height one would be nice, but how are you certain there will be one? Links?

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:37 pm

Well get the MSI Speedster FA4 board if you want standard P4 mounting holes on a P-M chip. The board should be turning up on the streets very soon unlike the Shuttle and AOpen SFF boards...

As for the AOpen SFF P-M board... I'm hoping for their 'media center' type chassis as was shown at computex here. It'll take a full height PCI card, there is a GPU card installed but the GPU slot hasn't even been cut out so I'm curious what they have planned there....

FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:08 pm

Unfortunately, that MSI board will not have DVI, but VGA only. That's a deal breaker for me. Know of any other boards coming out that do have DVI?