"Play Only" HTPC ideas?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Phoner
*Lifetime Patron*

"Play Only" HTPC ideas?

Post by Phoner » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:47 am

I've got a fully-functional HTPC in my media room. Now I want to put a 'satellite' HTPC in my bedroom, to play files over my LAN, and DVD's.

I tend to play all kinds of weird files like Xvid, .bin/.cue and even .img files so it can't be just a networked DVD player.

The bedroom HTPC has to be very quiet and should be no bigger than a DVD player or SFF. It also needs wireless G (though I could use an ethernet bridge).

What is doesn't need is a powerful processor and video card, or a video capture card. In fact, it doesn't really need a hard drive, or at least a big one. It just needs to access my LAN and play video files.

Cheap is also good.

Any ideas?

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:56 am

HARDWARE
EPIA M12000 motherboard (with cpu, gpu, tv out, lan...integrated) 17x17cm

SOFTWARE (windows)
Windows XP home + Meedio.com software (htpc frontend) with "play mee" plugin/extension to play img, bin...etc. + ffdshow codec to play all "exostic" movie formats + your favorite movie player

SOFTWARE (linux)
ww.geexbox.org/en/ - no hdd needed, its liveCD distribution, but I don't know if you can play img, bin...etc
Last edited by VERiON on Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:59 am

Linux with no hard drive at all, booting itself over the network from your main server.

This solution does not require any mass storage whatsoever in the bedroom machine, only the nic needs to support network booting. The server needs to provide kernel image over tftp and nfs exports for the filesystem and dhcp for ip settings.

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:44 pm

An Xbox with open source Xbox Media Centre installed fits your brief perfectly. Dirt cheap, pretty easy to set up (once you've installed a modchip) and quite simply the best Media Centre software out there (which is being developed continuously). Plays divx, xvid, img, mp3 files flawlessly (in fact anything you can throw at it, full list here), and has all the hardware you need built in. all you need is an IR remote (or you can use the included game controller pad).

I had the same question as you about 6 months ago, and I went for XBMC and haven't looked back since. I bought the Xbox specifically for it (I don't play games, but I could if I wanted) and it works flawlessly. Even the wife took about 5 minutes to work out how to use it!

Some other advantages it has over a PC based system: boot up from cold in about 10 seconds, no lengthy shutdown (just switch it off), no viruses or other malware, no bloatware OS, extremely stable.

I even quietened mine down with a Panaflo fan, you can see the thread here

I can't recommend it enough.

Phoner
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Phoner » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:54 pm

Interesting ideas! The Xbox one is VERY interesting - although the Xbox has a poor WAF ("it looks ugly"), you can't beat the price. I even have two Xboxes, one with a broken HD that maybe I can fix. Thanks Pangit!

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:08 am

Glad to hear it. It sounds tailor made for your requirements. Have a good trawl through the XBMC website, or PM me if you have any questions.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:27 am

Maybe crystal case for xbox can make your xbox look a little bit better.

Talz

Post by Talz » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:29 pm

If you're using XP Media Center the Xbox 360 is supposed to work as a media center extender if you get $399 verson. I'm not sure if this is ideal for you, but the added bonus of a next gen console isn't bad imo!