Mac Mini Gamers Edition

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aris

Mac Mini Gamers Edition

Post by Aris » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:15 am

So the new Mac Pro is out, and while looking through apple's completely new revamped line up, i couldnt help but wonder "where is the gammers option"??

Macbook for everyday laptop users
Macbook Pro for hardcore laptop users/proffesionals
Mac Mini for home casual users that already have a monitor/kb/mouse
iMac for those that one an all in one package for home casual users
Mac Pro, for buisness proffesionals.

IMO they need to add in another stage in the line up:

Mac Mini Gamers Edition:

It would be a SFF enclosure, about the size of 2x mac mini's stacked on top of each other. A single core 2 duo processor, ddr2 800 memory, and a 16x pci-express expansion slot capable of supporting high end video cards like the 7900gt from nvidia.

Starting Price somewhere around $1,000

zenboy

Post by zenboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:50 am

A grand without a fancy video card, right? Being from that side of the world a long time back, I can assure you that Apple really likes to jack you for good video cards (price wise). I figure they could probably hit your pricepoint though (they like their 99's, so it'd probably be 1099), with something like a 7300 stock, have options for a 7600 GT (here's where they'll hit you, that upgrade will cost something like $400 with a nominal CPU upgrade or maybe more RAM), or a 7900 GT (Think $750 Price Bump). It'd be nice though, That sort of thing might convince me to swing back into their camp. They broke my heart with Copeland though.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Gaming? On a Mac? What for? If you're going to buy a computer for gaming, why would you choose a Mac? Why would Apple offer a product for a non-existent market segment?

darthan

Post by darthan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 pm

You know, it's not that Apple won't release a product for a non-existant market segment, it's that they won't release a product they don't want to make. This is one of those things I can't really explain but Apple only releases products that someone in the company (probably Jobs) decides are "cool" or something. Why they haven't released a headless upgradeable mini-tower somewhere between $1000 and $1500 I don't understand, because it would almost certainly sell like hotcakes. This would allow gamers to add a good vid-card, it would allow everyone who has a special screen need, or wants more than one hard drive to use it, it would allow tons of people to simply swap out their Windows PC for a Mac. Apple will never do this in its current incarnation though.

zenboy

Post by zenboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:45 pm

Expandability in a mid tower chassis, oh, man, that's heresy. Next you'll be talking about licensing so that third parties could make Mac compatible hardware... I miss my PowerTower Pro 210.

I don't think that a Mac with the ability to fit a nice 3D card is a nonexistent market. Not everybody wants to spend 2.5 g's on a Mac Pro, and the fit and finish on the OS is pretty impressive these days. There are some current Mac games out there that would benefit from a little more video card, and as the hardware standardizes, the onerous task of porting a game to the Mac is going to become less, well, onerous.

Apple won't, however, produce a model like this without something serious to back it up with (say, Valve agreeing to make games for OSX). And they won't do that, or announce it, until they have all eyes on them.

DaveSimmons

Post by DaveSimmons » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:46 pm

I'd rather have a media server mini that's slightly taller with a 3.5" drive bay, like the Shuttle X100. With optical out and a 500 GB HD I'd have the 1,000 CD changer of my dreams :)

That's why Apple doesn't do either -- 1,000 people want a gamer mac, 1,000 people want a media mac, while 10,000,000 people are happy to buy it as it is.

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:35 am

I really think it could work like a Trojan Horse much like their iPod did.

Now that you can load Windows on any Mac, an upgradable, expandable mini tower that you can put OSX or Windows on would pull ALOT of people over the line i think.

If i were to buy a prebuilt, and i had my choice of Dell or Apple, id choose an apple. I can play around with OSX and still have windows for gamming.

right now however, your only choices are a notebook, or a notebook without a monitor, or a notebook with a monitor that isnt portable like a notebook. not a very good lineup if you ask me.

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:26 am

I'm not a gamer, but I'd love to see Apple release a mid-range desktop with some upgradability.

The Mac Pro is too expensive, I just don't need that kind of hardware for the office/multimedia/internet tasks I'd use it for. With those high end CPUs and hard mounted drives, I imagine it'd also be noisier than I'd like.

The Mac Mini is a interesting little computer, the low noise definitely appeals and it's in a very neat package for a good price. Unfortunately it can't be used with a dual headed display, and I find two monitors really useful when working with graphics, DTP and web design. Even with all the USB hardware that's available now, a spare PCI slot for would also be a very nice option. Overall the Mac Mini is too restrictive and would be too much of a downgrade from my current PC.

Surely there's space in Apple's product range for a system that fits between those two options? Maybe a system that's primarily aimed at the HTPC market, with more storage and the option of an included TV card. I'm sure Apple could create a very stylish media centre if they wanted to, and they already include basic media centre software with their computers.

With the option of a better graphics card that could also be a decent SFF gaming system, one that wouldn't look out of place under your TV. I know Mac's aren't known for games, but bear in mind that you can boot Windows on Intel Macs, and Transgaming's Cider should make more PC games available under Mac OS.

The main thing that would sell it to me is the option of having a dual headed display, and I'm sure there are other people who'd be interested in a cheap and upgradeable desktop Mac for various other reasons. I see plenty of people complain about the lack of upgrade options in Apple's consumer Macs, anyone else think Apple are missing out on a market here?

Mikey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:02 am

Dual monitors is nice, but you can still get a fairly decent output from a Mac Mini on a 21+ inch widescreen, which can suffice for alot of people.

The lack of gaming ability is just about the only reason i wouldn't go for one, have a mate that's set one up as a HTPC and he's loving it - small, quiet and can run OSX when he wants to check his email etc, all through his loungeroom LCD.

Great for most people, but i suppose there'll always be those (like me! ) who wish it could do that little bit extra.

Would you pay an extra $500 for the privilage of Dual DVI and better video ? It kinda blows the price point of the mini out a bit.

zenboy

Post by zenboy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm

I'd pay $500 for the ability to upgrade video card and possibly run a second hard drive, suspend a 2.5" drive, or run a desktop 7200 rpm hard drive... Something in the small desktop/tower form factor (look at the Dell Optiplex GX520 and imagine something a little shorter). Probably not going to happen though.

I like the 24" iMac, but I like the option of running a KVM, personally.

grosskur

Post by grosskur » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:42 am

FWIW, if all you want is to add a 3.5" drive to the mini, just get an external SATA enclosure and route the SATA cable outside to it.

heddhunter

Post by heddhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:55 am

Steve_Y wrote:The Mac Pro is too expensive, I just don't need that kind of hardware for the office/multimedia/internet tasks I'd use it for. With those high end CPUs and hard mounted drives, I imagine it'd also be noisier than I'd like.
My housemate works for Apple and just brought home a top of the line Mac Pro with the X1900 graphics card and 4 drives installed internally.

It is totally silent. The fans spin up at full blast for about 2 seconds when you first apply power, but after that the only way you can tell it's on is to stick your ear on it or look for the power LED.

God I hate him!

St.J

Post by St.J » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:37 pm

Unfortunately it can't be used with a dual headed display, and I find two monitors really useful when working with graphics, DTP and web design. Even with all the USB hardware that's available now, a spare PCI slot for would also be a very nice option.

The main thing that would sell it to me is the option of having a dual headed display
Screen Spanning Doctor?

dougz

Post by dougz » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:50 pm

Screen Spanning Doctor?
Mac Mini not supported, per http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html
Mac mini
These machines can NOT use the patch:

Unfortunately the patch does not work with ANY Mac mini configuration.
It is not possible to use both the DVI and the VGA part of the display connector simultaneously.

St.J

Post by St.J » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:34 am

Missed that!

Real shame - it works very well with my iBook.
I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini - may have to reconsider.

Thanks
St.J